Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dublinfan2020

Thank you... that's the only way you can't go part time you would have to job share... do you know how you would apply for that..??

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2021_AP

If you have already started look up the info on the portal, there should be all the relevant procedures there. You don't actually job share, it's just what they seem to call it

You could also use parental leave to do a shorter working week but that's also not until after one year

You could email the family friendly practices garda email for assistance too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Deb8625

Hi,

I’m under consideration for a position; just sent my clearance/vetting details back. Does anyone have any experience in the Cork area of how long it takes from this point to actually being assigned?

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

For what position?

I was in the office when my reference got a call a couple of years ago and it was brief and to the point. Same with the 2nd reference they rang also, just the standard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ems-roo

for the clerical officer position. They check references via email now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ems-roo

It’s not against gdpr if you give them permission to contact your references. It went okay for me the only issue raised was my absences

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

I don't remember giving references on the application form. When do we have to give them?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

References were the very last thing for me after clearance was complete and before they send out the contract.

Oh great, thank you so much. I thought I missed something on the application.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Been offered a position in Information & Communications Technology and Logistics Division, Computer Centre, St Johns Rd, D08.

Any idea what I’ll be doing? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kittyc2018

Looking after Revnue's IT and communication. Their print centre is also based there as well

Have you got anymore information mate? I applied for Clerical Officer so don’t really know what I’ll be doing in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kittyc2018

No more than that but they look after a wide range of stuff so could be anything really

Assigned to Print and Mail service. Has anybody done this? Don’t really want to be working with machinery, having to wear safety equipment and on my feet all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Recently started as CO and noticed I'm way over qualified/ experienced for the role. I have management experience and a masters I'm on the EO panel but doubt I'll get called.

My question is what are peoples plans I wanna get to 40-50k fairly fast. Is it worth applying for staff officers in Coco or maybe admin officer in CS?

Any tips I'm open to move around in roles and learn new things but wanna stay public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Fisherman32

What OOM were you If you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

That must be a shift work if i am not wrong

For the Print and Mail? That’s not what I signed up for. I specifically said my girlfriend is due soon in my interview, them hours are useless to me. I didn’t apply for a job working with machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Some of the work they do:

Monitoring 24x7 operations and ensuring the availability of online services for external customers and internal business users The nightly batch updates of all Revenue transactions The nightly backup of all Revenue data The secure offsite storage of backup media The provision of “restores” of data on request Operations Readiness Testing of all new software applications Software delivery of new Revenue application releases Operation of the ICT Service Desk Selection and procurement of new hardware and software Issuing of desktop equipment to Revenue offices The secure collection and disposal of obsolete ICT equipment Maintaining an asset register of ICT desktop equipment Providing a printing and mailing service for personalised correspondence issued by Revenue and other Government Departments and public bodies Managing and maintaining offsite contingency printing and mailing facilities Managing and maintaining the Revenue Data Centres The hosting in Revenue Data Centres of ICT equipment for other public bodies and provision of other common services such as storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Try and get involved in any projects or working groups in your area/office. Talk up in meetings and voice suggestions and ask questions but be careful not to come across as though you are too good for CO work, because you will rub people up the wrong way! Make as many connections as you can and if there is no project work in your area, you might find through your connections of some work you can get involved in. All connections and new work, will help build up your internal public service CV as such.

Yes, you may have years of experience and a masters, which will stand to you and I'm not taking that away from you, but you have to see that the way PS works or has more red tape than the private sector. I'm not saying this to be harsh, I came into PS as a CO over 13 years ago with many years of Management behind me and was initially very frustrated, that my opinions or suggestions weren't immediately taken on board or I couldn't implement a suggestion straight away without going up the chain of command.

You have your foot in the door, in 2 years you can apply for EO, HEO, AO even AP, both internally or interdepartmentally. In the meantime you can also apply on any open competition for EO, AO or AP....you can even apply for PO if you wish!

24/7 operations? Wasn’t told anything about that. I applied because I’m sick of doing manual work and working every weekend. This is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

I am in the same position as you, I would advise you to take part in as many projects as you can and apply for OneLearning courses that you have an interest in. I know some aspects of them may have been covered in your masters etc. however they are good to do to keep you in learning mode and add to your continuous professional development. They could be a good talking point at both internal/external interviews too. Keep an eye on Publicjobs, Local Authorities, HSE recruitment, etc. Not sure what part of the country you are in but Sigmar, Lex Consultancy and HAYs recruitment sometimes advertise permanent EO and HEO jobs. Check out https://www.cpsa.ie/guidance-for-public-bodie/recruitment-agencies/ for the full list of public service recruiters. Here's hoping 2022 brings us new job opportunities. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

Print & mail center is 7am to 7pm, Mon-fri and Ictel is. 24/7. But if contract doesn't mention shifts then you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Insearch4info

I'm in a similar position, so much so that when I interviewed for CO I was asked why I was applying for CO given my education and work history. Sometimes it's really frustrating, but there is plenty of opportunity for advancement for those who go after it. I'm also on the EO panel, but I made a stupid mistake on the e-tray that cost me dearly so I'm not holding out any hope of getting anywhere on the current EO panel. I'm just biding my time until the next campaign starts.

Like a previous poster said, take part in projects and do the One Learning courses. I've found managers to be very accommodating when it comes to L&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Deb8625

Hi,

I was batch 16, oom 34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

wrong thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Has anyone been assigned to the CSO in Cork? Or know what it’s like working there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shelly76

Assigned a garda station..anyone any experience how long vetting takes ?

Advertisement