Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

Do you think it's acceptable for https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40787319.html this article to be published?

How can you claim this isn't hate speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this just in from the UK

"Government defeated as Lords vote to make misogyny a hate crime"

bill still has to go back to the house of commons to be passed, or not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sure it has yeah.

the reality is you have always believed it and are just claiming otherwise now to shoehorn your partly inaccurate claim into the thread.

quite a number of people who would be on our side on many issues probably even most have some valid concerns on this legislation.

Post edited by end of the road on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, i don't, it's disgraceful and the individual involved should be ashamed of themselves for their behaviour.

however such should never, ever be a criminal offense.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's a stupid person that does that. The person that does something like that deserves pity more than anything else, they are likely of low intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't care what their concerns are. The concerns of 'restricting free speech' when they're in favour of restricting the rights of people because it suits their agenda doesn't wash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What exactly do you think is hate speech in that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol.

Most of the people on about free speech are perfectly ok with hate speech because they agree with it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Free speech is very important when some posters want to degrade immigrants or abuse people for the sexuality they define themselves. But its obviously less important if an opinion piece article hurts their feelings.

• Advertisement

The constant mentioning that it is men who are at fault for all of societies ills and that men are the reason for all bad things. Not singular men, all men.

I'm not offended by the article. I disagree with it completely, but thats as far as my opinion goes with it. I wouldn't want any censorship of it.

I just wonder if you and people like you will hold yourselves to the same standards.

For the fans of bringing in stringent hate speech laws, an overwhelmingly negative article about the entirety of any other group would be deemed as hate speech.

I just wonder if you and people like you will hold yourselves to the same standards.

You know nothing about me the dunne, so please can you use less of the "you and people like you" condescending language. It really isn't conducive to a constructive dialogue. It is also not informed by anything in my post.

Do you think it's acceptable for https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40787319.html this article to be published?

How can you claim this isn't hate speech?

You certainly seem offended by the article. Your question implies that you think the publication is unacceptable and by asking another poster why it is not hate speech you seem to be inferring that you believe it to be hate speech.

Can you give me a specific quote from the article you believe would qualify as hate speech?

I know enough from your posts to form an opinion of you. So with all due respect, I will continue to use whatever language I choose.

I can see that you would think I was offended by the article. You probably garnered that from when I explicitly stated that "I am not offended by the article".

My question was asking someone (like you) who is in favour of more stringent hate speech laws being introduced if they believed that this article which basically states that men are at fault for all of societies woes would be considered hate speech under laws they want brought in.

I do not consider it hate speech.

You do not know enough to form an opinion on issues I have not commented. You can respond to my comments but have no right to attack me as a poster for you things you believe about me but is not supported by my comments.

Why do you think I would suggest this article is hate speech?

For the record I find nothing in this article that I consider to be hateful, I don't agree completely with the author but I would not define it as hate speech.

So as you raised the issue of hate speech in relation to this article, I ask you again can you quote a specific section that should be covered by hate speech legislation?

Or should I say can you please tell me which part of the article you incorrectly think as you posted "people like you" referring to me would believe to be hate speech?

I haven't attacked you Robbie. Not at all.

I don't think any of it should be covered by hate speech legislation.

I was asking another poster if they believed it should because of the overall tone of the article being overtly negative towards all men; something which people like you would call hate speech if it was directed against another group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

That's a very unfair comment.

I'm in favour of free speech, and I agree that people shouldn't be allowed 100% free speech, e.g. calling for the death of all red heads etc. but this hate speech legislation is going too far (imho). Let me be clear, it should be illegal to call for the death of a certain group of people.

My problem is around what the definition of hate speech is. Is it when you insult people? Is it when you criticise them? Is it when you disagree with them? Nobody can answer those questions because it's too hard to define what hate speech is. In my mind, hate speech should be where someone calls for the 'death of all red heads' and not a statement like 'I would never shag a red head' or 'transwomen are really men dressed as women'. Those last two statements are insulting but in no way should they be categorised as a crime.

It will get to the stage where you can't criticise someone in a protected category without fear of legal action against you. And that's not a society I'd like to live in.

Hate speech legislation (in the proposed form) has the potential to make offending someone a crime. And that's not right.

When you say "people like you" what exactly do you mean in this context?

Can you give any examples from the article you think people like you would say is hate speech if directed at another group?

I am referring to people who would think an overtly negative article about any other group in society, blaming every single person of that group for negative actions of a minority of them, would be deemed as hate speech.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not in any way familiar with Norwegian law, but the remarks in question would probably be grounds for defamation in Ireland. Now, the response to that could be "I don't agree with defamation laws either" and that any remark in that vein should be laughed off. I've no doubt that there are some people who can laugh this off, but I've also no doubt that there are others who would find them more problematic. Do you think a primary school teacher or the coach of a kids sports team would be comfortable with someone being able to go around saying they were a pervert who shouldn't be allowed work with children without fear of any legal repercussion? Of course, another follow on could be to ask why we need hate speech laws if such things could be covered by defamation. And the response to that is that the point of hate speech laws is that protected groups tend to be the targeted more frequently. Which is why the bill is pretty much existing offences, with the addition of aggregating factors.

Again can you provide a specific example of what you are talking about from the article?

• Advertisement

Again Robbie, I refer you to the article in its entirety. It's overall tone. The fact that it explicitly says it is the fault of ALL men.

The whole lot of it.

Any quote can be taken out of context so instead of doing that, I asked the poster to judge whether the article IN ITS ENTIRETY would be hate speech in their opinion, seeing as how they are advocates for more robust hate speech laws.

An article which attributes blame for a litany of societal ills on a specific group for the actions of a minority within that group would surely run foul of their interpretation of hate speech.

So no examples then from this article you think people like me would find offensive. Thanks.

I don't find this article hateful, I also don't have to wholly agree with everything in the article.

You were certain "people like" me would describe this article as hate speech and I don't find it such, that is why I am asking to you to give an example of content from this article you believe would meet my definition for hate speech. Maybe there is something I am not seeing you are.

You've already stated that you have read it and you didn't think it qualifies as hate speech. Me giving a quote which could be taken out of context is not what I wanted an opinion on. I wanted someone to read the article in full and let me know if it would fall under hate speech by their standards.

I didn't and won't provide any singular quote or even two or three quotes which I think someone could be construe as hate speech as it would not be a fair indication of the piece as a whole and not what I wanted to know.

And my point wasn't to point out something offensive. I've already said I didn't find it offensive. I wanted to know if people like you (not you specifically) would realise the hypocrisy in screaming hate speech for the vilification of a certain group in one instance, but look the other way when it doesn't suit.

I wanted to know if people like you (not you specifically)

People like me but not me 🤣

The dunne can you just deal with my posts and not some persona you have created in your head for me. 🤣

I wanted to know if people like you (not you specifically) would realise the hypocrisy in screaming hate speech for the vilification of a certain group in one instance, but look the other way when it doesn't suit.

What exactly am I looking the other way from?

Do you think this article is hate speech?

Yes Robbie. People like you, but not you specifically.

I have dealt with your posts.

You don't think this article is hate speech although it vilified all men for a lot of society and women's problems.

If this article was an overtly negative article about immigrants and how each one of them was to blame for the actions of a few, I am 100% sure that you and people like you would claim it as hate speech.

I've already said I don't think it's hard speech.

Keep up.

Ok so in summation you don't think this article is hate speech, you cant provide an example of hate speech from it but yet you are certain people like me but not me specifically would believe this article is hate speech.

Would that be a fair assessment of your opinion?

A fair summation would be I asked a person whose views normally align with you, if an article which unfairly vilified a group of people would be considered hate speech to them.

I don't believe it's hate speech but that poster might considering their view on hate speech which is why I asked them specifically.

I could pick out certain quotes but a fairer way of judging an article would be in its entirety.

That would be a fair summation.

I could pick out certain quotes

Yes please pick out even a single quote that demonstrates the hate speech you were offended about on behalf of other posters whose opinions are like mine but is also specifically not my opinion.

You are honestly relentless in your frankly bizarre campaign to attribute outrage to my feelings about this article.

I've stated on numerous occassions, to you, today, that I am not outraged.

I'm not outraged for myself, nor on behalf of others.

I have turned a blind eye to cheap, vulgar sexism — it is all men

thats the title of the **** thing

It is all men. Me. You. Every other man in our culture. Every single one of us.

That attributes blame to every single man based on the actions of a few.

• Advertisement

I dont believe the title of the article is always created by the writer of the piece.

But have you ever ignored sexist comments shared as humour?

I know I certainly have so from my perspective at least I would agree with the author it does seem like all men.

As for the second quote what specifically do you find hateful in it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement