Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2022 and whingeing students

• 20-01-2022 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

The unions want traditional leaving cert with exams in the summer along with the usual assessments of projects and orals/aurals.

Some students are whingeing they want the choice of hybrid and plucked from the sky teacher assessed grades. They want their cake and to eat it too.

So I saw on RTE some staged a protest outside the Dail. Some had placards. "my education, my choice", "mental health not the LC rat race".

Lads, if ye can't face a few exams in the summer then you'll not last in the real world with your mental health. And bog off with your "my education, my choice", the abortion ref was years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perhaps you should look into this a little more.

The grades would not be “plucked from the sky”, they are based on class performance and the grade a teacher thinks the student would gain in the LC if he/she sat it under normal conditions.

This years LCs have suffered disruption, extended periods away from the class rooms during which online teaching was patchy in some cases, teacher absences, stress, and of course many claim their course teaching is nowhere near finished at a time when the focus should be on revision. Add into that competition from students with inflated grades from previous years applying for courses this year and you have a disadvantaged year of students.

I would argue that the snowflake generation is more likely to be the 20-40 yr olds now complaining about their lot, not the students who have lived through it during their formative years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Some of these kids never sat their junior cert either, so going off to college having never sat a formal exam. That should be interesting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The reason students want teacher grades is because teachers give higher grades, that is a fact.

All the excuses you've given, wouldn't that disrupt their grades anyways?

So you give inflated grades to students this year....and then next year they're competing with this years higher inflated grades. So they'll just have to get on with it. Life isn't fair, might be the most important thing they learn during LC.

So firstly, they've faced huge disruption in their education throughout the cycle. Secondly everyone's mental health has suffered in the last two years, on top of that they're facing exams that are incredibly high stress and have traditionally affected people's mental health. So they're facing a situation that neither you or I have faced.

Also fyi, I found the leaving cert incredibly high stress and I was suffering from mental health issues at time on top of it. I did pretty terribly in it. College exams and my masters I had no issue with. On top of that, I'm in a pretty challenging and well paid area at this stage in my life. I don't find that half as stressful as the leaving cert and my leaving cert result offered pretty much no indication of my capabilities.

So I have absolute sympathy for them and the fact the government didn't have the foresight to prepare for these scenarios is a pretty poor reflection on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The leaving cert has no bearing on how suitable someone is at university. It's a memory test. The university lectures have been fighting with the unions for years to change the LC curriculum as it's so dumbed down that it's simply wrong. Biology at leaving cert level for instance is ridiculous. The universities should step in and offer to carry out interviews before students are admitted to a particular course. I have no problem with the students doing something different in this particularly challenging time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Hoop66

OP going for the Littlejohn audience, there. Should have thrown a "woke" and a "snowflake" in really. Poor show.

If everyones mental health has suffered then it's an even playing field.

Get on with it. Life isn't fair. Sooner they learn that, the better.

It's a two year course, think about how much has been going on for the last two years.

I cannot understand why someone wouldn't have sympathy for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

So? What's wrong with a memory test?

Examination is the only fair method of allocating college places.

Incorporating interviews and continuous assessment will bring us down the road of the US & UK, where family connections, wealth and biased interviewers determine one's life path.

As a LC student myself I’m terrified of predicted grades and hybrid exams. The points inflation is awful enough this year already, I’m aiming for high points courses and it’s making me feel demotivated enough as it is.

if it actually happens again I don’t know how I’ll cope..

• Advertisement

So in your own words you want to decide who should get into which course in university by putting students through a test that isn't fair....

At least everyone is on an equal playing field on the “unfair memory test”.

In our system it’s ultimately up to you to do the work to study, not the school you go to, who you know, etc. Predicted grades allow all those biases to appear unlike the traditional LC.

The only thing that’s messing up my mental health is having to compete with highly inflated points courses for a place.

Hybrid exams will just make that worse.

Its equally unfair to all. If it wasnt for the leaving cert i wouldnt be a professional today. If i was relying on my teachers' grades i would have been a c grade LC, not A grade. The biggest advantage to the LC is to the examiner you are just a number, indistinguisable from the herd, so your actual exam performance does the talking.

Getting into whatever course shouldn't be decided by points anyway, a fair better system should be introduced, like the British one maybe

Except some people get hit worse mental health wise and not everyone is in the same circumstance. And I'll repeat, the leaving cert offers absolutely no reflection upon an individual. And this year's students are in a pretty unique scenario where they're facing a state examination returning to normal even though they didn't receive a normal education. Some will undoubtedly get on great but others will suffer cause the situation made it far more difficult for them.

And you don't represent all students. Not all students have a home life where school from home is particularly optimal. The fact the government haven't been preparing for this scenario is a reflection of how poorly the department has been handled throughout the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Most students who sat the exam in June were awarded a higher grade than when they were graded by their teacher.

Something needs dramatic overhauling in the points system now, be it this year or next. Kids have no idea what course to do because points were inflated. Teachers are hoping points will be reduced to where they were, but no one knows. If a kid was aiming for a course of 400 points, this year it was inflated to 480 points. They have no idea if this will fall back down to what they can realistically get, or if the course is still out of reach.

Many students are coming to school Covid positive in order to keep up with the load. Many students have had a week or more of free classes due to teacher absence. Many students are close contacts or positive and have to stay out and miss school with no online support. In 5th year, they missed January, February, March and returned mid April, holidays in May. That's a huge chunk of lost time to learn the curriculum.

I don't think the hybrid system will be implemented. But I do think something needs to be altered as regards to points and the allowance to sit the exam at a later time if a student is Covid positive during the usual exam time.

The British system is actually terrible if you don’t come from a high socioeconomic background or can’t afford private school.

They have better colleges but we definitely have better secondary level education for the simple fact that it’s fair and everyone has an opportunity to do well.

This issue isn’t really relevant to predicted grades discussion as this would’ve been a case in any other LC exam year.

The time we were off school the second time, schools were very prepared. My school is pretty bad and lower socioeconomically, but they gave anyone without laptops one for the duration. I live in a council house, I did my classes in my tiny box bedroom with a tiny table and I managed to get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I got into terrible trouble for daring to question the little darlings and the Trauma they've endured throughout the pandemic. I saw an utterly pathetic Vox Pop on virgin media news last week, Two students submitted poorly edited and scripted tales of Woe via mobile phond, one looked like she was reading from an obituary such was her angst at the big bad world she lives in, she stopped towards the end, took a deep breath and exclaimed "She was Gutted", it was deserving of an Oscar.

I'm sick to the teeth of these "Normally" , self entitled Teens" being given a platform to dictate education policy, I'm equally tired of this Narrative about the mental anguish and Trauma they keep bleating on about, every person in some shape or fashion has been impacted by this Pandemic, if the population as a whole behaved as these teens do, the country would grind to a halt. It would seem a Cohort of do gooders are actively encouraging our next generation to become a bunch of whimpering, moaning and self entitled generation. Grow up I say 🙄

It's infuriating and thankfully Teacher & their representatives having none of this latest whimpering fest.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

So you're concluding that every student has a home situation that works for school from home? I'm genuinely happy for you but I guarantee that others suffered as a result of it.

And mental health is incredibly relevant when we're in a scenario that's far from the norm. Imho, the impact of the LC on mental health has always been an issue but this time round is far more unusual.

For the record, I'm not sure how grading should have worked this year. But returning to business as usual is a lack of preparation on the government's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is utter nonsense alright- any excuse to try get out of anything remotely difficult with this lot. We had teacher strikes, foot & mouth my year- there was absolutely no question that the traditional exams would not go ahead.

These pampered woke pussies want everything handed on a plate to them now. They literally can’t cope with anything. They’ve been in school full time since September- no lockdowns- so wtf exactly is the problem? Zero resilience

Not everyone is in the same circumstance anyways! When I did my LC, the grandfather of one of my classmates died and the day after they were sitting an irish exam.

How are these wimps going to survive in college when they're told to have an assignment done by 3pm Friday, will they come along..."Mr Lecturer...my mental health was bad this week, can I have another week?"

How are they going to survive if they go to a college where exams are held after christmas. Will they be crying about their mental health over the Christmas?

I blame the parents for these wimps

I know people who live there.

They place a heavy emphasis on predicted grades based on unstandardised tests, and interviews.. there you aren’t just a number. It’s not a secret that people with important connections manage to find a way in even if not the most deserving of a place.

There is a huge gap in education there between the rich and the poor. To my knowledge it’s pretty much the same in the US.

Unfortunately the adults are not providing adequate examples of how to behave with stoicism to hardship. When the kids see their parents and teachers(especially their teachers) crying and whinging instead of getting on with it, of course they are gonna behave in the same histrionic way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

The points system is one of the few things Ireland should be proud of. An institutional defence against nepotism and privilege and a driver of social mobility. Sad to see it being gradually dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,909 ✭✭✭Furze99

Every June for many years past and pre Covid, we have heard the annual mantra that the Leaving Cert system must be overhauled. Too much based on written tests on one day, not enough continuous assessment.

Covid has come along and forced a change for last year, so people see this is in fact possible. Come this year, we now see who are the biggest opponents of change - the second level teachers unions.

Students want change, parents want change, colleges want change - everyone wants change bar the teacher unions.

This is a power struggle to see just who has a stranglehold over the exam system at second level. Rather than concentrating on student protests, we might do better to examine the oppositional motives of teachers and their unions........................... just exactly why are they so set against change?

I studied science in my undergrad. It's not a memory test and because of that it had a high drop out rate. Students who were used to cram in order to "learn" had to actually understand complex issues before they could learn.

Actually privilege already pays a part in our system as fee paying schools dominate (https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40779831.html). In other words their connections are paying their way in. Oxford and Cambridge have already countered this by carrying out interviews to test why a person wants to do a subject. I have done it myself in England and you can easily weed out the ones who get coached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

IMO, the changes that have been made (extra options, etc.) are sufficient to compensate the students for the disruption they've experienced. At some point, the system has to go back to normal and it might as well be now.

The current system has it's drawbacks but as already stated, the main advantage is that it's a level playing field for everyone and the examiner doesn't know who you are or what school you went to. It probably should be changed to something involving some continuous assessment but that's something that will require planning, union discussions, etc. so not achievable in the shirt term.

Advertisement