Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Niall_76

They seem to be moving away from the focus on weight. Maybe they want to be able to say “you gained but isn’t it great you improved x”. They should’ve just rebranded the show in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Transformation doesn’t have to refer to weight loss I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The majority of weight shows the contestants return to their original weight and usually more once the cameras stop rolling.

For alot of people weight gain is a symptom of bigger issues. It's not as simple as calories in and out and go for a jog.

I think these type of shows are good for people who have got themselves into abit of a rut.

Where they've stopped playing the five a side with the lads or doing their weekly yoga/spin class or whatever exercise they did. Where weight has slowly crept up on them due to lack of movement and slowing metabolism with age etc. Family/work commitments have taken over. They realise they are totally out of shape but don't really know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I felt very sorry for the young girl that had the baby. I suspect she's suffering with some form of prenatal and post natal depression.

Yes having a baby at 24 isn't ideal , but it's also not the end of the world. She was so down about it, I think she even used the word ashamed. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed about.

I really hope she does well and starts enjoying her little family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't get the criticism of OT. It promotes healthy eating and exercising. Calorie counting isn't supposed to be a life long thing. When you are overweight with bad habits you need to start off adhering to instructions. Over time these people will learn what a normal amount etc will be.

One thing I'd like to see more is treats or cheat days being shown on video. Maybe some do have them but you won't go every day of the week being really good. No harm having a dirty takeaway on a Saturday night. The main thing with losing weight is to take in less calories than you burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

+1

was very surprised at what I felt was a very old fashioned mindset of shame at being an unmarried mother.

of the 5 leaders, I think she’ll find it the most difficult. She appears to be very dependant on her folks and a bit overwhelmed at becoming a new mum and leaving her family home. I think we’ll find her folks doing some of the recipes for her and the team tackling her on it. can see there being issues with ‘social media’ too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The Criticism appears to be led by some group I’ve never heard of before ( bodywhys). and there was some eejits on liveline. My only issue with the show was the weigh in which was a bit gratuitous. I’m glad it’s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Format finally looks better this year, I hope they finally really do focus on whole person rather than just the obsession with weight loss.

If a person not happy in themselves, the 'professionals' giving out hell for them not trying hard enough if don't lose weight one week is pointless.

About time they got rid of ridiculous weigh in with belly tops for woman + no top for men. Like wtf was the point of that, total body shaming.

People who are normal weight could find that uncomfortable, never mind people who are there because they are ashamed/ hate their bodies.

I think there is a great mix of people this year, someone that everyone can relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

I'm hoping he is, but under his shorts where they belong...unless he's dressing as superman in which case he better have the cape too!

The only thing Karl Henry is an expert on is how to jump on a bandwagon....

Taking advantage of Charlie Bird to further his own career....

Hows the rucksack Karl?....spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did I hear them correctly in saying John was to do 10,000 steps- I took that as for the whole week or per day?

I do like the show but they tend to wollow on the big negative aspects or events in these peoples lives- fair enough they’ve had it tough but take the first woman on, she lived in a lovely house with a beautiful family- many people would kill for- but as usual not a word about counting her blessings, just a stream of misery and what’s wrong in her life. The pattern was this the same for the others. Maybe it’s because misery sells?

I don’t take it as body shaming, it’s medical reality. If you’re very overweight it needs to be spelled out and a plan in place to address it. No point telling people “you’re wonderful as you are…” when that’s clearly not the case. I find people that do t want to make the effort try hiding behind this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Xander10

It was a bit confusing. Stated 10,000 for the week. I rewound at the end and they seemed to also imply per day, which I imagine was correct since around 1500 per day would be nothing.

Yes it must be 10,000 per day. That’s a good bit but as you say that per week wouldn’t make any impact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I really felt for her. She seemed unprepared for motherhood and being a grown up but she doesn't appear to have really pulled her socks up either, and seems to be still very much dependent on family per everything. I became a mum at a young age (19/20) and that was nearly 18 years ago. I'm shocked and saddened to see that young mums still feel ashamed.

The phone and social media thing was a real shock, she's of the generation now that have grown up with smart phones from a very young age - and her behaviour - being glued to the phone instead of interacting with her partner or child, comparing herself to what she sees online, not feeling good in herself because of what she sees online - is as a direct consequence of social media. And that has really startled me.

I do hope OT have taken on board the criticism of it in recent years. There was no need for the men to be topless or the women in unflattering crop tops, you're not really going to see a change each week as a viewer and there's no point in making the person feel uncomfortable.

Yes it's had its faults - a really focus on loosing weight, berating someone for not losing enough weight, restrictive meal plans in terms of choice. Personally I felt that OT program wasn't long enough at 6 weeks and didn't really give the participant or the viewer the tools to go forward without the show. I did like how the show rallied up the local communities with walks etc but again as soon as the show finished up, those people are gone too.

I'll be interested to see what other metrics they use apart from weight loss kgs. I think this is one of the first years where I've liked all 5 participants straight away, we'll see though after tonight's show! But what seems very clear is that there's a lot more to being overweight than eating too much - it seems to be a symptom of something else and I'm a little concerned that the show may not be properly equipped for the underlying issues these people may have, it goes deeper than things like boredom, misinformation or poor planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Karl Henry is the epitome of fitness. The man does shoulder rolls before breakfast. He's warming up with our PBs. Ever see him curling a bottle of volvic? Knickers all over the island drop.

Karl Henry looks like your average pasty white Irish male after a rake of pints the night before....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’m finding it uncomfortable viewing so far tonight.

His main discipline is spoofery added to a sense of no shame....

Thus resulting in a backpack wearing instudio performance capitalising on charlie birds mnd....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

They’re really trying to minimise the weight loss part, nearly not mentioning it! Great not to have KT in studio although disappointing that she’s on the voice over

Thoughts after last nights episode;

I would expect that John's enthusiasm will wane after a few weeks. He seems like a lovely fella but the exchanges between himself and his wife were a little uncomfortable to watch. I can understand her annoyance - he's the one who signed up for the show and she feels she had to do some of the work.

Kathleen - such a lovely woman and warm supportive family. I really hope she can begin to enjoy her life again.

Sarah - god how many tablet devices do they own?!

Stefano - I hope he can kick the cigarette habit but I'm not so sure, I think he'll cut down instead.

Katie - I'm on the fence. I think she has a lot of growing up to do but she seems a little lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

In fairness to John, she was giving out about his cooking / culinary skills but then followed up with she won't be cooking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Nah. Makes for better entertainment when you have the participants losing 10-12lbs a week. How they get on after the show doesn't really come into it for RTE or the general viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What was the actual point in drafting in Ray this week? He did nothing. Usually Kathryn announces the weight loss but this week the panel did it, and is it a deliberate thing now to almost play down any weight lost and just drop it in the sentence so casually? If so, why? Sure the whole premise of the show is based around losing weight

• Advertisement

Yeah been there, I think anyone who's managed to quit can see the mental gymnastics already going on in his head. Ah sure I'll just get some to have in case of an emergency, or just one in the morning with my coffee and one before bed etc etc. before you know you've 10 gone.

In the end for me it was as easy* as just not **** buying any and slapping a lovely 25mg patch on my arm each day but I got there and hopefully he will too.

*It was not easy and took 3 attempts but I got there.

Advertisement