Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He should try a vape. Worked for loads of people i know.

• He's a different generation to me but I still think that can't cook won't cook attitude stinks. It's not hard to at least boil a few spuds and grill a lean pork chop and some beans if you want to get super basic.

• Wasn't an option for me when I gave up the smokes, but anyone I know who vapes has just swapped one habit for another or they will still buy some cigs to have no and again as "it's not the same".

I'm glad vaping wasn't an option for me as I know for a fact I'd have gone back on the cigs, that's probably more about me knowing me than saying anyone who vapes will end up back on the cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. Cooking takes time to learn. He was making such a big deal and issue about it. I think his wife should leave the kitchen altogether when he's cooking, go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Having seen John on the Late Late Show, he strikes me as someone who won't continue with any changes once the show is over. He seems to be in a fairly dark place to put it bluntly.

The cooking effort will be gone once the cameras are off. He isn't going to get a passion for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If Johns main crutch to his weight is depression then he shouldn't be on the show.

Operation Transformation is a show predominantly about dieting.

Yes, there's often mental issues that lead people to eating more and more but it's often about getting into a routine and getting motivation that helps. I don't think depression can be solved by OT

I'm not enjoying this series at all.

This new format where it's almost not really about the food anymore or weight loss.

Not warming to the participants as much either. Stefano is probably the only one.

John, poor chap struggles with depression, but this show isn't for him. Every week will be the same thing. John will say he feels X because of Y or that he USED to think a certain way and now he thinks another and Eddie will say you need to do this or do that.

The lady cutting a triangle of Toblerone up because it was 10g above the amount she was allowed. That was ridiculous. No one is ever going to do that for the rest of their life. Eat the triangle and if you want to, have no snack tomorrow or something. The extra 10g of chocolate would have been 50 calories more. No ones weight loss plan goes off track because of 50 calories in a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It’s just so fake! Calling it a health check-in/update or whatever they call it instead of a weigh-in is so false.

People only care about the bottom/waist line.

Participants are all being successful and I couldn’t care less.

Death knell for the show, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

I agree it's all over the place this year. I never agreed with meal plans etc in the sense that yes they would make people lose weight but could never last because always banned treats, alcohol etc even on special occasions + that was never going to be a real life situation.

Better if they just admitted it instead of trying to pretend it was a sustainable plan forever.

Now this year trying to go other way, telling one of leaders to stop moving + ,not lose weight. Like wtf. It's all over the place they font know what they want the show to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was the story with them telling the woman (forget her name, the one who sung on the Late Late) not to lose weight? Why were they telling her that, I didnt hear of an injury or anything. Seems bizarre to me, its supposed to be Operation Transformation not Operation Stay the same weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep I agree, show all over the place they haven't a clue what they are at anymore.

Giving out to them all for losing weight a few years ago they would give the leaders a right bollocking if they didn't meet their target, even if they had still lost weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They don't know what they want the show to be as they are bowing to pressure and trying to please everyone instead of sticking to the original agenda of losing weight and transforming your lifestyle.

I never understood the negativity of the weigh ins.....yes they wore tight clothes.... to show the transformation of their bodies over the course of the weeks. While it's unlikely they'll develop 6 packs but it shows how the body will start to get definition over the course of the programme.

At this stage everyone knows what's involved so if you don't want that level of scrutiny don't sign up. If you are triggered on someone else's behalf by that level of scrutiny don't watch it.......we all have choices!

All these weight lose shows are unsustainable.....yeah the contestants loose weight as they are being pulled along by a personal coach and getting bouyed up by the community around them, but they never keep it up once the cameras stop rolling. They revert back to old habits and comfort eating as it's the easy option.

Unless the contestant gets to the root cause of their comfort eating and tackle that head on, they'll always yo yo in weight. To achieve that you'd need to work with a therapist and that's beyond the scope of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

Yeah that 1/2 the toblerone piece was crazy, especially when the other contestant was allowed to have a chinese...bet she was raging for not have the whole bar, never mind the whole piece, when she seen the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

Whenever I see Ballyragget I think of Christy Heffernan's description of the town.. Ballyregret!

• Jez I was only thinking a few weeks back John should get a bike and have it in the truck maybe and head out for a spin on his breaks. Then it turns out he's got a Pinerallo bike no less already at home. Nothing clears out the cobwebs for me like a spin on the bike.

A spin on the bike is lovely. Agree totally. If you have countryside, even better.

I sometimes find some people cycle in very low gears with low effort and intensity and wonder why they don't lose weight, get fit. It needs a bit of effort, like all exercise. And you can gain weight sometimes in leg muscle.

Kathleen from Cork is pure class. She has a great personality, amazing how she feels invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The leader they brought back from last year hasn’t lost much weight since.

If he maintained his loss from the show that would be a great success. He looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Caught up on the last two episodes last night. I agree with the comments here that the show doesn't really know what it is anymore. The main thing that jumped out at me was the conflicting advise given to participants. They shouldn't be told barely a month into a weight loss program to maintain - that means that the people behind the scenes aren't preparing the plans for the participants properly. Of course they are going to have weight losses, they've greatly changed their eating and activity. The participant didn't seem to really know what she was supposed to do and seemed to have been made feel like she was doing something wrong. Also she's on the show looking for help and assistance on her eating habits, she doesn't know yet what to do to maintain. I know weight loss should be slow and steady but it is normal for weight loss to be greater for the first few weeks and then reduce as the body gets used to it.

I really feel for John, the truck driver. I commend him for seeking help but I'm not sure OT is the right place for him. When it's over, he's going to feel lost, he's going to need external and professional support from somewhere.

I really like Kathleen and her family, they seem like a lovely bunch. Ah but cutting the triangle of toblerone in half, either eat the whole piece or nothing at all!

• Advertisement

They are being asked to maintain weight because they don’t want them dropping too quickly - can’t have that and it’s not maintainable - they’d balloon straight back up once off any plan.

A steady loss won’t lead to a ballooning back up as their body will be adjusting naturally

Aside from that - I think people complaining about the show running its course or being in poor taste should just watch something else. It’s painful reading the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not surprised the show has someone on with depression. There is a very irritating trend to suggest people who are overweight are depressed or have a mental disorder. By and large that is not the case. And even like you say if one does, then it's not a diet issue, and should be regarded completely separately from the general obesity issue.

Having said that, being overweight can give one a mental disorder. Why wouldn't one be depressed about being so overweight.

Well if those comments bother you so much you could take a leaf out of your own book and not read them, same logic. It is a discussion board after all so there will be negative as well as positive comments.

Hard to avoid the comments in a thread about the show you like

Easy to avoid the show though if you don’t like it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No no no.

I've watched the show a bit but don't watch it.

It's a terrible show because if gives out the impression that loosing weight is so so so hard, that you have to go to monumental efforts to loose weight, which is totally wrong.

One doesn't have to do any exercise to loose weight. You need to just eat less, which simply involves giving up foods that make you eat too much. It really is that simple and I can testify to that.

They don’t give off that impression at all though - That’s complete hyperbole.

Ya eating less is an obvious one to lose weight, but if you add in exercise you can still eat enough to keep you healthy (taking in enough of what’s needed), hence exercise plans then to help with a calorie deficit. Add in the mental health aspect of exercising (proven to be highly positive) I think people are just beyond going over-the-top with criticism. These are qualified people in their field.

Aoife Hearne hasn't a clue. I assume they all wear calorie counter bands/smart watches. So she'll know how many calories are burned yet she can't put a nutrition plan in place to stop a 2kg loss in a week?

• Advertisement

Not so easy to avoid paying the tv licence to fund this crap if you need a tv to watch something other than RTE.

Advertisement