Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My wife got a negative PCR. I thought she might have been asymptomatic. Not sure how she avoided it because we were both vaxxed at same time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone been for a PCR recently - how long did it take to get results?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Yes - myself and husband got tested Monday first thing and results back Tuesday evening. My kids got tested Wednesday at 2pm and results back 20 hours later.

Re 7 days isolation. I'm on day 7 now and antigen still showing a second line. If I still show positive tomorrow what then? Does it mean I'm still contagious or is it likely to linger in my system for some time?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Good morning, I tested positive on 2 antigen tests the other morning, no symptoms, I do them going into work after being off for a few days. Booked pcr and had it later same day.

Did another antigen next morning which was negative, pcr results came back as positive yesterday, did another antigen this morning and that was negative. Still no symptoms. I'm confused. First case of covid in family so don't really know the procedure. Anyone enlighten me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Any thoughts on this - I can't figure when child 1 can go back to school based on our scenario:

• Sunday 2nd: Wife (double vaccine no booster) tested positive via antigen.
    • Monday 3rd: PCR
    • Tuesday 4th PCR Result (positive). Kept kids out of school as close contacts.
    • Saturday 8th: child 1 positive antigen (didn't bother with PCR as it's a nightmare to book).
    • Wednesday 12th: child 2 positive antigen (ditto re PCR).
    • Yesterday/Today: child 1 testing negative on antigen.

According to the current guidelines, when would child 1/2 be able to go back in to school. Does being a close contact of child 2 bump out the timeframe again? Might be a stupid question - it feels like it's been going on forever at the moment so I'm a bit numb to it 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

I am same here confused.my first child and myself tested positive on friday jan7th(antigen and 2 days later PCR).second child kept testing negative for a week (antigen)and yesterday tested positive on antigen,we went for pcr and it came also positive today for hubby and second child.first child and should be out of isolation,but what are the rules for us now as we in the same household with new covid cases :) school,no school,can I go to do food shopping etc

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

You isolate for 7 days now from your initial positive test- you can go by your initial antigen.

At this stage, I think it's pretty clear that these are cold-like symptoms for pretty much the same duration.

Since Delta has gone, COVID-19 has become the new common cold. Nothing to write home about, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Outbreak at sons preschool. He tested positive this morning after a high fever last night. He’s in grand form now though. A bit warm and low energy but fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Felt ropey on Sunday morning. Sunday night had a bad night's sleep - sore throat, body aches (esp in lower back and shins), cold sweats. Spent yesterday in bed like a zombie, no appetite, dry cough, thumping headache. 7up and paracetamol helped somewhat, especially the cold 7up. Was testing negative on antigens until this morning, came up positive.

I'm not yet boosted as I had shingles before christmas and wanted to give that a wide berth before getting boosted but double-jabbed in July. This is not like a headcold for me. I thought it was flu I felt that rough yesterday but the lower back pain was not something I experienced with flu so suspected covid.

Good news is I'm 50% better today so hopefully will be back to normal in a few days :)

I could definitely be missing something, but I can't see a clear answer in the guidelines. What's the signal for kids to be safe to go back to school after testing positive? Is it simply time based, or based on a series of negative antigen tests?

It seems to be just seven days after onset of symptoms. Happy to be corrected if wrong though.

That's what I thought too, but not certain. Our daughter has no symptoms, it's been 10 days since initial positive antigen but she's still getting a very faint line on antigen tests now. Going by above we'd just send her in anyway.

My son has an important assessment scheduled for next Monday and we need the report next week. He got symptoms first on Sunday with positive antigen Monday morning. My head is absolutely wrecked by it all. And that’s only one thing. We’ve about six or seven things organised in next two weeks including a trip to centerparcs. I know the main thing is we are all healthy but it’s all an absolute headwreck .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lo d

Positive antigen this afternoon, felt pretty crap all of a sudden so done a few tests and all positive. Everyone else in the house negative so far. PCR tomorrow to confirm. Hoping it’s the same as others reported and just a few days of a heavy cold/mild flu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got booster on 20th Dec. I think I got exposed on a Saturday around 3 weeks later. I was out for dinner and drinks for several hours with some friends. Some of the friends out that day were recently recovered(Before Christmas). One guy hadn't had it and interestingly didn't get it that day.

Symptoms started on the Wednesday 3/4 days later and that was the worst day. Woke up and initially it felt like a sinus infection which I regularly suffer from, a stinging kind of pain in my nasal cavity just above the throat. Also fatigue, aches and light headiness. Took an antigen test on Wednesday afternoon which came back negative so I was convinced it was a sinus infection. 

Thursday the pain around my sinus spread down to my throat proper, developed a cough and the other symptoms abated a bit. Still thinking I had a mild sinus infection as this is how it progresses in my past experience.

Friday morning feeling a good bit better but still quite a sore throat and sinus. Decided to try and get a doctors appointment because I figured I would need antibiotics if it was actually an infection. Did an antigen test before I rang the doctor and it came back positive. Booked a pcr that same day(and didn't go to the doctor obviously).

Saturday I would say feeling 90% better, slight sore throat and little bit of a cough. PCR came back positive. 

Sunday feeling 95% better, only symptom still remaining was a barely noticeable sore throat.

Monday onwards feeling normal, just a little bit of lingering sinus stuffiness in the morning but this is the norm for me in the winter months.

Wife and 3 kids all seem to have not gotten it from me. They followed close contact protocol and tested with antigen tests regularly. When I got my first positive antigen I started wearing proper ffp2 type mask around the house and in the same room as them. I have my suspicions that they had it before xmas because they all had covid like symptoms for a few days, although they did do antigen and pcr tests then and all came back negative so who knows!?

It seems to have caught up with me. On day 3 now. Yesterday was worse with lethargy. Have a sore throat and cough. No fever and no headache. Heart rate is a lot higher than usual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Curious if anyone has experienced similar. Child A experienced an allergic type reaction (face swelling, huge hives etc). Took 3 days to go down. On day 2 her younger sister child B tested positive for covid. Child A still showing negative. The allergic reaction cannot be explained and yet is completely not something experienced before

Both kids had 1st vaccination gotten. Could a child show a reaction to fighting covid but not show positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Were they antigen tests or PCR tests? Antigens are not 100% accurate and have a fairly narrow window (as far as I'm aware). For example I did two antigens the first day I had symptoms and they were both negative. The next morning I did another one and it was positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Yes both antigens. I'll try her tomorrow.

Anyone else lost their taste and smell after testing positive ? Haven’t really heard anyone saying it lately and mine now gone or extremely altered anyway! Still feeling fairly rough and thought reading others accounts of their positive I would be a lot better. Daughter was very sick yesterday with lots of symptoms and assumed she’d be positive but pcr was negative

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭iwasliedto

I know no one that lost their taste or smell who contracted covid recently. Maybe you have contracted the delta variant.

Thanks that’s what I am thinking which would be unusual at this stage I reckon. Hopefully it doesn’t last long I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I didn't lose it, but while I had covid mayonnaise and salt & vinegar crisps tasted really strange to me. I'm assuming it was the vinegar part since there is vinegar in mayonnaise. Like the poster above mentioned, you might have the Delta variant unfortunately.

I have covid at present on day 4. Was very lethargic with sore legs day 1 and 2. I don’t have much left in way of symptoms now only waves of tiredness.

however I found it difficult to get to sleep last night with palpitations. Not a nice feeling. In general I’m very conscious of my heart this week and feel it’s working harder than usual. Heart rate is elevated etc.

so while I’m not very sick - it’s certainly different for me to a cold or anything I’ve ever had and I’m glad I am fully vaccinated.

my five year old twins had it too and for them it started with a fever that rose gradually over a number of hours and aches and pains. One of them is on day 6 and has a heavy cold and chesty cough still. The other just came down with it and he had nasty chills and exhaustion yesterday.

every one of us in the house had symptoms.

On day 6 now. Took an antigen test this morning and still positive. Apparently I’m free to go about as I please on Tuesday as long as I wear a good mask.

it’s a very weird dose. The chest tightness and palpitations are very uncomfortable. I don’t have a whole lot in way of respiratory symptoms but energy levels aren’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I’m one week on from positive antigen test (it was a burning red line) and still don’t feel great. Had all the symptoms during the week - fever, headache, muscle ache, fatigue, palpitations, brain fog etc at different stages.

Seems to be now like a bad cold with fatigue still prominent. Am surprised how long it is lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Only seeing this now and we had exactly the same in our house. Our kids not vax'd thoughand child 1 has other covid symptoms after the hives but tested negative every day for a week, but we're sure they had it. Child 2 out the other side now too

• Advertisement

I read something on Twitter yesterday from a paediatrician that a lot of children are presenting with cholestasis. That’s a liver condition with itchiness as a symptom as far as I know. I had it when I was pregnant.

Advertisement