Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Is there a way of getting some kind of letter of proof of positive test or how do you show proof to employer? Do you just send on text??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

My test line went red before even liquid reached C line.sore throat,body aches.came from abroad thursday.tested before flight back to Ireland(antigen)was negative. Looks like got it on the plane or airport.my child is heartbroken cant go to school.so far its only me positive.hubby and kids are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

I saw this chart circulated by a local councillor a few days ago, issued by the hspc.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Thanks for that Gipi.

Update on symptoms- after basic cold like symptoms things got rough this afternoon. Temp over 39 and lay in bed shivering for a few hours. Really weak. Several hours later the fever broke, had a good dinner, snoozed and feel pretty ok again (back to feeling like I've a head cold but was like a full blown flu earlier- albeit short lived). Wondering is that the worst of it or is it a case of peak and troughs for the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am on Day 3 now and I feel almost better. Around 95% now, 85% this morning.

Headaches gone, sore throat barely there and the fatigue has lifted. I never had a temp/fever. My peak was really on Day 1. Eating like a horse and getting loads of light exercise. I reckon I will be right as rain tomorrow. My brother had the same over Xmas and was out running again on Day 4.

PCR test tomorrow to confirm but I will be working otherwise.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Pretty sure I caught it from a wedding on NYE (everyone that we knew went with a negative antigen test beforehand but someone at it tested positive around the 3rd).

Symptoms started the evening of the 3rd with a mild tickle in the throat (to the point where I wasn't sure if I was imagining it because I had just heard about the fella who tested positive).

4th - Symptoms started to kick in - sore throat, chesty cough, general fatigue and aches. Nothing to write home about, felt worse after my booster. - Negative Antigen

5th - Symptoms still the same, cough slightly worse, mild fever, a bit headachy too. - Negative antigen

6th - Symptoms have calmed down - cough is nearly gone, throat feels better, still a little achy and tired and brain foggy - POSITIVE ANTIGEN

7th - At this stage I'm a bit congested but still tired, found it hard to concentrate on work, cough is pretty much gone at this stage. - booked PCR

8th - Symptoms more or less the same as the 7th. I drove to Citywest for my test and was absolutely shattered afterwards. No shortness or breath etc, just wrecked

9th - Much more energy, still a tiny bit of congestion and a mild headache. - Received positive PCR results.

10th (today) - Slept badly during the night, not sure if that was related to Covid or not.

I'm isolating in the bedroom with my fella dropping up food until Thursday. He's tested negative so far. Haven't been around anyone since a Tesco shop on Monday afternoon (before we found out we were close contacts and my symptoms started) so no other close contacts thankfully.

All in all, I feel I got off lightly. I'm going to take an antigen test tomorrow but should hopefully be fully clear over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

The text should be enough, I don't think there's a way to get anything else from the HSE. My employer never asked me for proof, but I did send on a screenshot of the text to her anyway.

2-3 days of the headache, runny nose and a fever at night time for me. After that I had a blocked nose, cough and sore throat for the remainder of my isolation period. Blocked nose and cough cleared up on day 10 of my isolation, but I still have a bit of a sore throat a couple of weeks later. That being said, when I had the cough there was one point I coughed and, for lack of a better term, felt/heard a kind of crack noise from my Adam's apple, so I'm putting the sore throat down to that taking longer to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

No flu cold symptoms. But extremely tired last two days. Should I do an antigen test? Or is that a bit OTT at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder if the antigen would pick anything up without respiratory symptoms in the nose and throat... but I'd have some tests handy in case it develops and keep the larder well stocked.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Doesn't hurt to take one just in case. That being said, I think they often only catch it at the peak of the symptoms. When I had covid I had two negative tests the day I developed symptoms and then a positive one the next morning.

Maybe you had delta. You seem to have a lot of symptoms including a cough which most people with Omicron dont seem to have.

I found Nurofen+ was great for the headaches. I was tired but got much more fatigue after the 2nd Pfizer jab which floored me for 2 days last summer.

Day 4 and I am fully back to normal. Just had my PCR at lunchtime. Hopefully it confirms Covid so I can get the recovery cert.

Maybe, I assumed it was Omicron because everything was quite mild I thought, and it all lined up with the Omicron symptoms I was reading about online. Some of my co-workers had Delta last summer and they had a way worse time of it than I had. It's a pity we're not actually told in the text what variant we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

My 7 months old tested positive for Covid.poor thing crying all day long.Nurofen didnt do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hopefully it will pass soon, there's nothing worse than when your child is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Have all the symptoms of having covid. Was a close contact of someone in work who tested positive.Ive a scratchy throat, blocked nose and chest and a cough.

I've done 3 antigens, all negative. Went for PCR, awaiting results.

Is it possible it's just a cold which it feels like to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Anything’s possible. However my positive on an antigen test didn’t show up until day 3 into my symptoms, ditto for my partner which surprised me to be honest

Likewise took a few days before I tested positive on an antigen - omicron generally starts in the throat so earlier detection (via nasal swab) can be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

That was same for me, was then sure I just had bad cold and then PCR was positive. I’ve had no positive on antigens before or since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

off topic

i was in ribbons after my booster last tuesday

im fizer vaccined and then moderna boostered

had the shakes , bit of a headache , no appetite etc

• Advertisement

Update today - pretty much symptom free, but had a positive (but light) antigen test. Should hopefully be clear in the next few days!

Post edited by Busi_Girl08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Double vaxxed since late August, ironically had set today aside to get my booster jab 😂😂😂

Started feeling sick on Saturday around maybe 10pm, did an antigen which came back negative. Rapidly developed into what felt like a head cold with a fever, all before bed on Saturday night.

Escalated quite badly on Sunday night with the mother of all fevers (proper "you could be sitting on top of a bonfire and your body would still be telling you you're too cold" type fever), barely slept that night with the fever. wasn't coughing or anything though. did another antigen yesterday morning which came back positive - a very, very faint line in the positive row, but it appeared literally seconds after the control line rather than the usual 15 minutes or so, which I reckon is a sure sign I've got a fairly strong dose. Yesterday was baaaad, had that kind of cough in which you can't fully breath in without it catching in your throat and unleashing a coughing fit - was a chesty cough all day yesterday but settled into a dry one by night  time.

Another rough night last night (and woke up drenched which is so ridiculously unpleasant!) but feel I'm definitely on the mend - have a horribly sore throat but the headaches are more or less gone, haven't felt feverish all day and coughing far, far less than yesterday. 

Will do my third antigen test tomorrow morning. Unfortunately can't get PCR tested as all the nearest centres are a nightmare to get to if you don't drive, and honestly the idea of going out with this is about as appealing as going to the gym with a broken leg. I'm happy to treat my positive antigen test from yesterday as confirmation of infection, but I'm somewhat worried that without getting a PCR it'll never get recorded into the statistics or activate the contact tracing system - anyone know of a way to do this without having to get a PCR, as I genuinely can't think how I'd get to any of the nearest centres at the moment? I don't drive alas, and I certainly don't want to get public transport under these circumstances and risk infecting the whole bus!

I always tend to recover from being sick at lightning speed compared to most of my friends, but I must admit I'm surprised at how quickly this is clearing up. Assuming it is covid, and not just a false positive yesterday, I can't help wondering if my rather controversial "let it burn" attitude towards fevers might be helping me out - on the basis that fevers are a naturally evolved defence mechanism and being blessed with a high pain threshold, I tend not to take anti-inflammatories or paracetamol unless it's reached a temperature that's actually considered dangerous.

Not of course recommending this to anyone, I really do have a pain threshold that's orders of magnitude higher than most because of a very nasty brain condition I suffered with as a teenager for two years while being continuously misdiagnosed! For that reason I also can't feel hangovers and am always up for doing something the next morning,, much to my friends' and family's annoyance 😂 But it does seem there's some science behind the idea of letting a covid-related fever do its thing particularly during the first couple of days so as your body can get a handle on the virus before it gets a chance to dig its claws in. Obviously that's predicated on being able to take your own temperature often enough to know you're not going into the danger zone at which point it's harming you as much as it harms the virus, but I've always allowed them to play out and I always seem to be sick for only a few days where others with the same bug are knocked out for a week.

Either way, I'll sure as f*ck be glad when this is over!

Internet is unclear, as always - are there any general rules of thumb for telling whether one has been infected with Omicron or Delta? My parents both had Delta before Christmas and lost their senses of smell and taste, I've had no issues with that and the presence of head-cold symptoms (congestion, sore throat, etc) suggests to me that Omicron is the likely culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@hatrickpatrick you will test positive on a PCR for longer than antigen... any friends or family in same boat as you who could bring you when through the acute phase?

Theres talk of a system for capturing positive antigens but nothing concrete yet. Take a screenshot of the positive antigen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I got a positive PCR test result today as expected. Took about 30 hours for the result.

Just got my expected positive PCR text. My husband is completely asymptomatic- he got tested too (he claimed he tested positive on an antigen but he didn't- his rationale being if he's positive he wanted his 'isolation' to start same time as me). Glad he did as He's also positive- he just did another antigen and it's showing negative. Assuming the kids have it now but their HSE antigen tests are negative. If they do need PCR's and they test positive at this stage it'll mean another 10 days isolation when mine/DH's are almost due to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

Double vaxxed, not boostered.

First antigen+ on 03 Jan.

First seven days were very mild, other than painful cough.

Last few days have been quite rough, cough kept me up all night.

PCR+ on Friday 07 Jan

Antigen- yesterday

Sore throat today and malaise.

No real aches.

Also seems to be impacting my brilliant ability to be asleep within 3-5 mins of hitting the pillow. Now takes an hour of restlessness before I nod off.

2 adults + 2 of 5 children have now had it in our house. The 4 year old threw a temp @ 20:00pm one evening and by 17:00pm the next day was completely fine. So about 21hrs in total for her of being off.

Update today, after being nearly symptom free for about 3 days I woke up with a headache and sore throat. No idea if it's a mini resurgence of the virus or if it's something else (in fairness I've gone through stages of wondering if a symptom is covid or if it's just the sensation of my throat existing). Will take another antigen test later today and see what the story is.

Just as I thought - we couldn’t get our kids tested Monday when we (myself and husband got tested). Based on my positive antigen my isolation period ends Sunday. I’m pretty sure my kids have it and had it from same time - one has bad gastro issues (common sign in kids). Although he’s ok today- ease of symptoms like myself. Like my husband their antigens are negative - my husbands pcr was positive though. So now my kids have to get a pcr meaning if they’re positive their isolation is going to be another ten days from today ? Has there been any mention of changes in isolation period for kids

• Advertisement

The Moderna booster is doing that to a lot of people. And it's only a half dose.

Advertisement