Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FedEx

• 15-05-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Got a txt late friday night telling me my item was delivered.I had ordered this item from Amazon but it seems on checking it came from China via Yunexpress After doing alot of digging I found out today that Fastway had the item.They have left items for me without ringing the door bell behind flower pots,bins etc.I now have to ring them tomorrow and hear another excuse.I also contacted Amazon but it will be tuesday before the give me an update.All other items that I have got from Amazon in the past came with An Post.

Amazon also deliver their own packets/parcels and took a lot of it away from An Post, who now do minimal amount.

I got a packet from abroad delivered inside front gate by Fed-Ex, just under 4 weeks later got a letter stating I owed VAT on it, (I presumed I would) they had the value down as E90 and 23%vat, their delivery fee E15 and 23% vat.
    Yet the value of the item was in their invoice (in the foreign currency) at E65.
    The Packet arrived in Feb and Vat was 21%.

I queried it from them and got a spread sheet back with costings,
    the value was still at E90, the vat was lowered to 21% but still cost the same amount as previous bill, with 23% vat,
    I done it with my calculator and I got a 2% reduction , but its still wrong as item value is still E25 overpriced,
    I did email them all this again, but haven't heard anything from them since the spread sheet in March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Hi,

I ordered goods from China in December, paid for shipping and handling, when ordered online. Goods received ok, delivered by Fedex.

On January 20th I received a 'Reminder - Immediate action' headed letter with an invoice from Fedex in the post. You'd think they could deliver it quicker themselves, but maybe there's an overdue penalty clause somewhere. The invoice description was, very descriptive 'invoice'. I don't have a Fedex account, a contract with Fedex or received any notice of any invoice being due.

Someone told me it's probably a charge for customs that they'll chance thir arm passing this charge to customers even though the checks are random and infrequent. Not sure if there's much truth in that? If there was a customs check I think there would be signs that the box had been opened and/or a customs check mark on the box?

I contacted ieinvoicequery@fedex.com with a scan of the letter enquiring for more details. What's funny, or not, is that the letter wants the invoice paid within 10 'calendar' days and it took almost 10 calendar days to get to me, but the Fedex support autoreply says they'll reply within 10 days, not business days or calendar days, clear as mud. Can there be a penalty clause attached to theses invoices being paid when they're overdue? More importantly can I refuse to pay for customs checks and tell them the customs haven't asked me for money and I've no agreement with Fedex to ask customs to do anything on my behalf.

Cheers
    Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You purchased stuff from outside the EU.

Vat and duty are due. FedEx put in the customs entry and paid on your behalf.

On top of the taxes they will have charged about €15 administration fee.

You will have agreed to this when you clicked the "I agree to the terms and conditions" part of the site you bought from.

Long and short of it, you owe the money.

As for the uninformed friend, customs inspect some packages, but generally accept the value placed on the item by the sender.

Darc19 wrote: »
    You purchased stuff from outside the EU.

Vat and duty are due. FedEx put in the customs entry and paid on your behalf.

On top of the taxes they will have charged about €15 administration fee.

You will have agreed to this when you clicked the "I agree to the terms and conditions" part of the site you bought from.

Long and short of it, you owe the money.

As for the uninformed friend, customs inspect some packages, but generally accept the value placed on the item by the sender.

Thanks Darc.

But why is this invoice not itemised and detailing this?

The cost of goods was US$72, and shipping and handling from China was US$39:47. Paid via Paypal and the seller had not provided any shipping details at the time according to Paypal receipt.
    The Fedex invoice is for €38:43. If customs accept the value and it doesn't look like the box was checked how can Fedex pass on a charge above €15?

Also ordered electronic goods from India in December, via DHL, was surprised to get a text from them asking for a customs payment before I had goods delivered. In hindsight I was happier with that than a letter of overdue invoice and threat of further action taken if it's not paid, with no prior notice of any invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You have a customs limit of about 28 euro, which if exceeded, triggers a customs charge. As the declared value was above this allowance, you have got hit by this charge.

Customs do not inspect everything, but this one is a no brainer. You are not entitled to order whatever you want, from wherever you want, and not pay duties. If the seller declared value as 20 euro, it would have been taken as that but if inspected and detected, you have a problem. That is also fraud.

It would be good to get a breakdown of that fee, I guess it should be provided already, but it will entail elements of VAT, Duty and a handling fee from fedex.

If you dont want to pay it, refuse delivery and let it go back to china. Buy it from inside the EU and then there will be no charges except shipping.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have a llook through this stickied thread from the first page. Everything you need right there.
    I got a FedEx letter for payment after Christmas and there is a copy of the customer entry attached.
    If you import from outside the EU you should expect to pay VAT and duty, if applicable.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Advertisement

Vat is on landed cost. Eg $112

So vat is about 23.40

FedEx charges 15

You could appoint your own customs agent. But that will cost about €70 min

Cheers all. Good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Cheers all. Good advice.

I got one too. Took ages to get out to me judging from the dates on the letters. Did you pay it online or in the bank?

I got one too. Took ages to get out to me judging from the dates on the letters. Did you pay it online or in the bank?

Didn't get a reply yet from their invoicequery e-mail, just an automated reply saying they'd expect to deal with it within 10 days. Not specified if that's calendar or working days. After 13 days I e-mailed them for an update.

Didn't get a reply yet from their invoicequery e-mail, just an automated reply saying they'd expect to deal with it within 10 days. Not specified if that's calendar or working days. After 13 days I e-mailed them for an update.

Customer service is useless. Got my final notice today, and i cant pay online because their site is sh1te and i get an error trying to pay. Get yours sorted?

• Advertisement

Customer service is useless. Got my final notice today, and i cant pay online because their site is sh1te and i get an error trying to pay. Get yours sorted?

I got a final notice, threatening me with a debt collection agency last week. I complained again to their invoice support and also filled out a contact form complaining that they never sent the original invoice and that there are no details on the invoice. I also complained to the CCPC, reply is below. They told me a trader doesn't need to provide an itemised receipt. Would we walk out of a restaurant or shop after paying a bill not detailing urchases without querying it? Even then I was thick as f**k and refused to play. That wore off me though when I realised I might get a knock on the door and have to pay more than the original amount.

I paid here. Just key in invoice number and amount. No option to key in invoice number and see details. Probably this sytem not seeing what another system is sending out letters for.

https://dutyandtax.fedex.com/ie/en#/

Feb 7th

Thank you for your email to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) in relation to invoices by FedEX.

Firstly, the consumer law under the remit of the CCPC is silent on the issuing of receipts in that there is nothing in current consumer legislation that specifically obliges a trader to provide a receipt or invoice. There is also nothing in legislation that states what should be included in a receipt/invoice. Although the vast majority of traders will automatically provide receipts/invoices with itemised pricing to consumers or on request from a consumer they are not required under current consumer legislation to do so.

Further information on receipts is available on our website through the following link:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-goods/buying-goods/ 

In addition, any query relating to custom charges being applied to your delivery would fall outside the remit of the CCPC however, we would suggest querying this with Revenue who would be best positioned to provide you with further information and guidance. In relation to contacting Revenue, you may also wish to note information on the European Commission’s website relating to Customs Clearance Fees with regard to Taxation and Customs when buying goods online from a non-EU country. Please see link here for the information:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/buying-goods-services-online-personal-use/buying-goods/buying-goods-online-coming-from-a-noneu-union-country_en

Contact details for Revenue can be found through the following link:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/index.html

We hope you have found this information useful and we are sorry we could not be of further assistance on this occasion. If you have any further consumer related queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 432 432 or (01) 4025555.

Yours Sincerely,

Competition and Consumer Protection Commission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Fedex seem to be the only Courier company operating this way. All the others either look for payment while delivering (usually letting you know in advance), or will request payment prior to delivery. Either way you're not getting your item without paying them.

Having said that my son purchased an electronic item from China about 6 years ago. Value was about €75 and delivered by Fedex. About 2 weeks after delivery he received their invoice (around €45 or so). He ignored it, and a couple of subsequent 'debt collection agency' letters. He hasn't heard a thing since then.
    He maintains that it just isn't economical for them to chase you too much for a small amount.
    Revenue will have been paid so nothing to worry about there. If Fedex are willing to deliver prior to being reimbursed for customs charges.....;)

MOD: No need to quote all that.

I tried to pay through the site a few times and backed out and now Im permanently locked out of paying that way. Contacted support and they say its a known bug but didnt mention it on the page before it was too late! Idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

I have a package from the UK stuck somewhere with FedEx, it says on hold customs clearance info from importer needed, has been like this since the weekend,

I tried calling but I can only get a call center in India and they are not helping,

Any ideas, I haven't done much from the UK since Brexit but the few items I've had from DPD the send an email/text with a link to pay, but nothing from FedEx?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joselete

Same here, I got Fedex letter 2 weeks after delivery with a 50 euro invoice for VAT + 15. This was a parcel I've got from the US with books. I thought books were VAT exempt?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It depends on the books. You need to query it with Fedex.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

Apologies in advance... I can't see to post this in the Couriers subforum

I have a parcel (and now it's replacement!) stuck with Fedex in Dublin for some 3 weeks now. The parcel was sent express by a company in the UK and while both parcels went from the UK to Dublin overnight, they are now lost in a customs black hole and Fedex customer support are as good as useless.

I've spent the past 2 weeks chasing them to no avail. First parcel was "missing" according to their agents until finally their tracking updated to say "Clearance delay - Import. Clearance instructions from the importer are required." After crawling through their website, I discovered for myself that I need to email in an EORI and a completed Power of Attorney form (also buried somewhere deep on their website). So I emailed, and emailed and emailed about 6 different addresses until I got one that didn't bounce back.

We're now approaching week 4 and the latest from their Indian phone support is that "we have handed the parcel to Irish customs but they are having delays ... check back again next week".

Is there really a 3 week delay getting straight-forward parcels from the UK cleared into Ireland or is it - as I suspect - that Fedex are just grossly incompetent?

"Irish customs" don't really get involved unless the paperwork is not correct. even then, they do not physically handle the goods. There may be a customs official in the fedex facility who will want to check the goods to match the paperwork, but it will not leave the fedex building.

If you are a business an EORI is absolutely essential for importing from outside the EU and the company sending it should know this. they als should have commercial invoices on the box with details of the goods, taric code, place of manufacture and value.

problem is, too many UK firms still have no clue that Ireland is not part of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I suspect FedEx is at fault and having dealt with their agents on phone and email now for 3 weeks, I can't say I'm surprised. Case in point, if they require an EORI and a Power of Attorney form from the recipient, prompt them for it, even if it's just a link on their tracking page.

I checked with the company in the UK prior to ordering whether they were having issues shipping to Ireland, they weren't, at least not until now.

We have our EORI's for a year or two now as we handled some imports ourselves but I'll remember to have UK shippers stick it on the paperwork from now on. We'll see how it goes this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just to add to this. I had an item arrive in Dublin with FedEx last Sunday and an email was sent to me billing me €12.24 which I paid. I then get another bill for duty for €6.08. Anyway, I raised hell over it and got the €6.08 one cleared. Looks like they had no record of the invoice for €12.24. So just be careful with FedEx going forward. Anyone with issued google Alun Cornish’s email address and send him an email and it should be looked into.

Post edited by notahappycamper on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 RedEyeMan

MOD - <SNIP> - Please see the forum charter before posting again. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I bought from Ali Express and chose FedEx to deliver it.

Since July 2021 Ali Express charges VAT on purchases and pass it to Irish Revenue.

I received the package to the door and about two weeks later got an invoice for just less than €20.00 for VAT and a Disbursement Fee of €5.00.

I see this as me having to pay VAT twice. Has anybody been in the same situation and if so how did you handle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

It's not quite the same but I bought something from the UK that was sent with FedEx. I knew I'd have to pay customs charges. I was sent a link to pay online before it was delivered. I also got an invoice in the post two weeks later. When I entered the details on the FedEx website it said no further payments were due. It might be worth checking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Hi

I orered something from the US through fedex and yesterday when I rang fedex to ask where

it was they said it had been detained by customs in Ireland. The goods were completly legal and I would

like to challenge revenue for what they have done. I have said this to fedex but they are being not very helpful

in telling me how to go about this. Does anyone have experience with this with fedex and know how I can challenge this

Two things spring to mind. Firstly, Customs aren’t Revenue. Secondly, are the goods legal and licensed for use in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user302243

Have they definitely been seized or just taken aside for inspection?

Whenever my parcel was seized by customs I got a letter a few days later asking what I wanted to do. In the end we agreed a settlement amount and I had to collect the item from Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Fedex should have given you the notice from Customs and details of how to contact them.

If they don't, you could try Customs direct

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-locate-your-goods-following-arrival-to-Ireland.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user302243

Are you sure - my items was seized by an Officer of Custom and Excise from Revenue. And Revenue is Irish Tax and Customs...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Yes the goods are completely legal. One problem I could see is though the valuation might of been wrong as

the shipper marked it quite low,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Advertisement