Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Some of these event management companies take a big %

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Haven't heard anything myself and no recent updates on their website (I've been keeping an eye on it myself as I'd be interested in doing it again) - but I agree this is a great sportive and definitely a bit of a challenge if you take on the longer route and two climbs up Mount Leinster. I first did it 3 or 4 years ago - weather wasn't great so I was really surprised how many people still turned out to do it. Really well marshalled and fair play to them for sticking it out in the wind and rain to keep us all on the right track. I do seem to recall (possibly mistakenly) that the first food stop was quite early in the route (especially if you are planning to do one of the longer distances) but yeah, the food was great - especially the home cooked grub at the end - I was more than ready for it by the time I rolled up at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭billyhead

There also trying to make up for lost revenue if it was cancelled the last 2 year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

Any word on the Wolfftrap Sportif? That was a great event, no big fuss, just a tough route but with great hospitality along the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Some of Elite's other events - adventure races - have also increased in price. They attribute it largely to increased insurance and transport costs, both of which I could believe, and pointed out that they only have 4 full time employees. I guess at least we have the choice to book or not, knowing the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t think I’d pay more than €50 for any of the Sportives tbh!

I rarely even take the bag of crap that’s handed out, I just appreciate the food stops along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

80 quid will get you a lovely BnB anywhere around Beara, you can cycle around the ring any day you like and you'll have change left over to buy your own sandwiches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You're more than welcome to pay €5 for a 200km+ ride to us in www.audaxireland.org

Bring your own food! We do give out nice medals if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Went ahead and booked the W200 just now having registered my interest a few weeks ago. I hesitated over the confirm button for a while considering the cost at €79.50, the chaos at food stops the last time I did it and the refund conditions. These read:

"Refund Policy

I hereby understand and acknowledge that all fees and associated costs, paid in registration for the Wicklow 200 are non-refundable under any circumstances, including but not limited to injury, a scheduling conflict, and/or event cancellation.

Transfer Policy

I hereby understand and acknowledge that it is possible to transfer my entry to another person for a charge of €5 up until 8 weeks before the event date.

I understand and acknowledge that it is not possible to transfer my payment/entry to another person or event under any circumstances, including but not limited to injury, a scheduling conflict, and/or event cancellation within 8 weeks of the event taking place."

Most other sportives are probably the same but no refunds under any circumstances including event cancellation is a bit much in the current circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭billyhead

I suppose it gives you a target to work towards. Personally I won't be doing it this year having done it a few times previously. 50-55 euro would be the cut off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder will the tour de'burren be going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Very similar to Ring of Beara conditions. I guess there are costs that they have to commit to up front and if something (like some global pandemic - totally unbelieveable, of course!) were to emerge, that would force them to cancel, they'd still be liable for those costs. They have to insulate against that.

yes. think there was a date the registration will open too...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I signed up to the W200 today with a few club mates. The cost is high but we just can't wait to get back on the road for a couple of events this year. Personally I love a good sportive (Tour de KK is my favourite) and find the only thing that beats a sportive atmosphere is a really really good club run.

Really great forming groups on the road, and getting to ride with other clubs/riders you wouldn't normally meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

Signed up for the W200 too - looking forward to a big day out on the road. On another note I see the Orwell Randonnee is planned for April 30th - I'll definitely be entering that one. Tough old slog but always a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regarding the Orwell Randonee, may I be the first in for 2022 with feckin Lake Drive.... 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Signed up for the Bettystown strand event on Feb 6th. Beach sportif. Should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Signed up for Cliffs of Moher and the Ring of Clare so will have the county fully covered. Hopefully they'll go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

West Clare Cycling club have a new sportive this year on the Cycling Ireland calendar with all proceeds going to charity.

This sportive will have 2 food stops and caters for everyone including E-bike riders.

More to follow.....

West Clare Challenge

Sat 2nd July @9am

Routes on strava to follow

160km Route

80km Route

80km E-bike route

Contact

Gary Kiely

garykiely07@yahoo.co.uk

087-6413413

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I thought it was a race. Is that the Starsky club one that I keep getting ads for the few times on Facebook?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

and yet it's sold out and has a waiting list.

Tour de Beara in September is 25 quid cheaper

The vast majority of entries for this years Ring of Beara are those which have been deferred from the 2020/21 events (I'm one of them) - I recall that people were also offered the option to have their entries refunded - I'm guessing thats why only a small number (300) of entries were made available for this years event - much like the Tour de Conamara. I paid €65 (+ €4 booking fee) when I originally registered back in 2019/20, and whilst thats really at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay for a sportive, my previous experience of it has been positive - the centre of Kenmare and Castletownbere are closed off to traffic - there is a great festival atmosphere and loads of grub at the food stops. I am tempted to give the Tour de Beara a go though...

I saw that. Sand, salt water and bicycles make baby Jesus cry 😢😢.

Sand all over a groupset, mixed with the oil, slathered all over the chain and rotated at high speed for an hour. I can't think of a better paste mix to grind down cogs, and hubs and bearings, not to mention salt water and then electronic groupsets 😱.

Dingle has a sportive. The organisers were scratching their heads wondering how best to promote it and bump up the numbers. - They doubled the entry price and customer numbers sky rocketed.

"Reassuringly expensive"? Is that what it is? Also I've no doubt strategic "sold out" participant restrictions help justify higher ticket prices and keep customers keen.

Personally I think it's bananas though. Some of the best sportive I've done were the cheapest. Local club-run, best routes chosen by local cyclists, and homemade community hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭hesker

Also have a deferred ticket for ROB and lucky enough to nab a house for 3 nights so really looking forward to it. Staying in Kenmare really adds to it. However if it’s €80 a ticket I’m not sure I’ll do it next year. Did the Tour of Beara last year for the first time and it’s a really cracking route so I’m signed up for both this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

All 3 ;)

(Cross I think though will try a few spins on each over the next couple of weeks)

Advertisement