Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking for a ROB ticket here also if that one is still going spare

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

make sure to keep an eye on the Cycling Adverts forum in case sportive tickets are up for sale there: https://www.boards.ie/categories/cycling-adverts (and I'm seeing a few!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Yes please! Tried to pm you but your profile is private, send me one and we can make arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

I've 2 entries for ring of beara. 140km, start in Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GalwayClassic

Bang on! Our main event is the Galway Classic men’s and women’s races, this year held on May 15th. In European “classics” style we also run a sportive on the same course to give all cyclists a flavour of the race route. Typically the sportive is the day before however calendar restrictions meant we had to move it to May 21st. 3 route options, 70/100/150km! 3 food stops and a well earned BBQ&Beer afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Thanks to anyone who attended the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive today. Got a nice day even if the wind made it tough at times. Already planning for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Great to be back after the two year hiatus - it's a lovely, challenging route and another windy one for sure (although I felt it was more of a side-wind at times rather than the relentless, full-on headwind of 2019). Arrived back at HQ in much better shape this time around and even managed to start topping up my cyclists tan lines with a wee bit of sunburn too :) Thanks to all the folks who volunteer their time and effort for events such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Are many doing the Orwell Randonnee this weekend? I'd been well on course for it in March but a recent bout of Covid means I'll be doing the shorter distance and just hoping to get through ok 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

The Orwell Randonnee Lite route was showing Sold Out this morning, so you won't be stuck for company. Signed up for the longer route myself, though I may have bitten off more than I can chew ...

Meanwhile, the weather forecast is almost perfect. Almost. No rain at all for the next 7 days ... except on Saturday afternoon! Fingers crossed that will change over the next few days.

I'd signed up for the longer one too when it opened up but whatever chance I have of stumbling through the short one, the long one is currently well beyond me! We got incredible weather the last time I did it 3 or 4 years ago and I knew that wasn't likely to be repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

The weather for Saturday is looking better for Saturday now. Potentially a few light showers but not much wind which is great.

I have signed up for the first time. I did a recon of lake drive the other day. It's going to be interesting doing that and then the Sally gap again after so many kilometers in the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

I'm doing the lite version this Saturday - looking forward to it (or at least finishing it). I've only started training on the bike again the last 4 weeks so its felt like cramming for an exam!. I've cycled Lake Drive a couple of times the last few weeks and can't say I'm a fan - its up and down/undulating profile can hinder momentum. Fingers crossed the weather gods are with us.

Yeah I've found that Lake Drive really saps the legs alright, the food (mainly Haribos) stop at the end of it is very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

To be honest it's only the first 145km that are tough, after that it's fine :-)

Once you haven't lost your burger ticket/voucher 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Randonee us a good event. It's known as Wicklow 200 without the flat bits so if you're doing that aswell it's ideal preparation. How far is the wall into it this time around? Make sure you are in the right gear for it otherwise you will be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'll be starting my 7th Randonee on Saturday. It's a toughie, but in a perverse way, I've always enjoyed it.

One year was particularly satisfying. I overtook another cyclist on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As far as I can make out, the wall starts at about 27kms., maybe 27.2.

The ridewithgps route indicates that the steepest section of The Wall has a 12.3% gradient. It's definitely steeper than that. As billyhead says, if you're not in the right gear when the gradient kicks up, you could get caught out and end up grinding to a halt. Indeed, there's a risk of grinding to a halt even if you are in the right gear. It ain't called The Wall for nothin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I will be starting my first randonee on Saturday, building up to the Wicklow 200 then ultimately the letape in July. Looking forward to it. Have had plenty of 70k spins with a decent whack of Wicklow climbing the past month on the back of a good winter on trainer road. Would have liked to have had a hilly 100k under the belt by now but finding fatherhood getting in the way of 3 hr + spins!!!

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to it too. I did it in 2011 & 2012 and Orwell Wheelers did a great job on those occasions. The organisation was spot on, very professional, while maintaining a very friendly and informal atmosphere. You could really sense that the club put their stamp on it and that you weren't being fleeced by some corporate outfit. The grub afterwards was top notch! So good luck to Orwell Wheelers too, I hope it's a good day for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I did it in 2018 or 19. Hardest cycle I ever done. Alot of climbing. I can still remember the cake at the foodstop, amazing would be an understatement. The burger fresh of the BBQ at end was great too. Most rewarding sportive I've ever done. Would highly recommend. Would do it this year myself but at 97kg I'd probably die.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

only the top half of the wall is on the route, I'd have said the steepest bit is at the very bottom, it's got to be 20%+ (though in fairness the bottom half is then easier after that first bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think ridewithgps is definitely off there - it touches 20% iirc, certainly in 18-19%. Anyone know if they're strict on "lite" entries doing the full randonee?

Edit - Strava has the top half topping out at 20.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

where is this famous 'wall'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

near Powerscourt Waterfall. The top half of the climb above the crossroads is the bit the Randonee is using and for extra punishment they're then turning right and going up Old Long Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

The surface on it is pretty rough to add to the fun. It's quite a narrow lane as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's more the moss and sheep **** on it (not cunard levels, but not far off in spots).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For those not familiar with the route of the Randonnée, there is a fast and potentially dangerous descent from the Military Road at Glencree down to the gates into Powerscourt Waterfall. Shortly before the gates, there is a steep and sharp right turn. Knowing Orwell, it will be well marshalled but please take their advice and slow down. A colleague misjudged it on a club spin last year and had a very bad crash resulting in him having to give up cycling.

After the gates you have about 0.8k of uphill before the right turn at the crossroads onto The (Upper) Wall. That's where you really do need to be in the small ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Is there plenty of parking in de la salle palmerstown rc for the day? Don’t fancy the extra 15k cycle there and home on top of the 140!

Advertisement