Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young teacher killed whilst out running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I just can't get my head around it. Feel physically sick thinking about how she must have been feeling in those final moments. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

It's just a horrific story, the poor girl. Just sickening to the core that people simply cannot leave other people alone, out for a run after work...lovely way to start your evening off clearing the head after a busy day and this happens to her. Your heart just goes out to her for her final moments and to her family, friends and all who knew her. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RIP Ashling Murphy. Like V, I can't help wondering, and fearing what she felt in those final moments. Its very upsetting and extremely sickening but am also livid here listening to other stories of similar circumstances. We are back to the conversation about what we do to keep ourselves safe every.single.day and yet we should NOT be moving the conversation in that direction. God love her poor family, this beautiful young girl out for a run.

For anyone interested the Women's Council of Ireland are holding a vigil in her memory tomorrow https://twitter.com/NWCI?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor but expect we will see more on this in the days and weeks to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It is such a shocking attack, it's beyond horrific. The poor girl, and her poor family!

I have run there. I'm not an expert but I would not have thought it's a dangerous place at all - you can see for miles and you'd think this would provide some sort of safety? Obviously I would have been badly wrong about that one.

Any woman should have the absolute right to be able to go on a run by herself without feeling unsafe, it's such a basic thing, and yet here we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No thanks to that thread, which I'd seen already. Went down the predicable route in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It's an awful thing to happen. I'm not fully sure why but the fact she was a runner just makes it feel that bit more sickening to be honest. Feels closer to home for some reason. I read the story and similar to TFB it just seemed strange in that it seems like a reasonably safe enough place and at 4pm which is still daylight (i think?), with people around. Either way, terrible to see. May she rest in peace. Awful to think someone doing something as basic as a run after work can be targeted and meet a terrible end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just saw the interview of her principal, how he composed himself I've no idea. An awful time for her pupils too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Like so many other people, I'm shocked and saddened at this loss of a young life. And it was a beautiful afternoon yesterday for a run. May her gentle soul rest on peace and my thoughts are with her family, friends and young scholars at this difficult time. The stretch of canal is known as Fiona's Way after missing local woman Fiona Pender. I'm open to correction but does that form part of the new parkrun route, I haven't done it yet?

It's hard to get your head around it really. She did everything "right" as a woman - it was daylight, the area wasn't too secluded. As a woman who quite often runs on her own, it's left an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

RIP and condolences to her family and friends.

It's sickening that a young woman would start her evening in the best possible way by going for a run in a reportedly bright and 'safe' place and we end up with a story like this. There are some really sick people in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yes, that's where the parkrun route is. I ran it in November, was plenty of (friendly) pedestrian traffic on it even without parkrun that morning.

I've run far more remote stretches of the same canal alone before. It'll be a long time before I do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Can’t stop thinking about this. It’s horrendous. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Am I hearing this right that she was attacked in broad daylight with onlookers not intervening to help her???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Unfortunately women are just not safe from male violence. I am not trying to stir things up or anything, but realistically they have to tailor their movements for their own safety in the face of potential attacks from men and that is what this unfortunate girl did, broad daylight etc. but she was still murdered. That is no way to have to live a life at all.

Seems to me that men are killed during altercations or gangland attacks, women are killed by domestic violence and random attacks just because they are women mostly.

My deepest condolences to the girl's family, her professional colleagues, pupils and those who knew her. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Apparently 2 other women ran to help/distract (not confirmed) which caused the attacker to flee. I can barely stop thinking about this since I heard last night. Someone so young doing something so healthy and to be taken away from this world by the most evil, cowardly act, sickens me to my core as a runner and a human being. I hope she continues running in the other life and my heart goes out to her family and her students.

It's not clear yet. Some reports said two females witnessed the assault and ran to house nearby to call Gardaí as they had no phone.

So tragic, only at the beginning of her life. Madness. Absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

thanks. I've ran along the canal out Mullingar direction a bit in the last 2 years on my own and it's a lovely peaceful enjoyable run by the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Two women witnessed it from the other side of the canal and started shouting at the guy who then ran off. They called the gardai and gave a description, who then caught him. The girl was alive when they got there but died after a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I can't imagine how they must have felt/are feeling too. I understand one women came on the scene first (on the opposite side as you said) and the other arrived shortly afterwards. Fair play to them for not panicking, being able to give such a detailed description and then getting across to be with Ashling before she died (as I understand it). I also can't stop thinking about it, I just can't believe this happened in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

In a word, disgusted.

the poor family, friends, and entire local community, will deal with this for a long long time.

what the hell has happened to a country which was safe where you never worried about this type of violence.

a beautiful girl taken so young for no reason.

my heart goes out to all who knew her, her pupils and family.

rest in peace…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

Awful, awful story. May she rest in peace. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

TERRIBLE story

Males do not have to worry about where they run or what time do they? There are female runners out there who have to plot and plan to try and be safe, no earphones, phone fully charged, clear view, around civilisation where help might be more available. Doubt those issues would cross a man's mind in deciding where and when to go for a run. Sad state of affairs and not just in this tragic case either.

I know that is broadening out the debate, but the women in my life are very very cautious, and not just in relation to going for a walk or run either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For once could people not chase around this place looking to spark up arguments and debate.

Can this thread not just be a place for the running community on Boards to pay our respects ? If you want to debate all this there's a thread linked above that seems far more suited to such debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

And so they should be. That is just common sense. We all take precautions .. women And men .. there are nutjobs out there. Hello !

What you have failed to say is that the vast majority on Men are Not like this .. and pose no danger whatever to women

There lies the rub ..

Or are you implying that All men are a physical threat to women ?

The other thread was closed down. I will leave it to the runners so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This one should be too. It’s only going in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<MOD>PLEASE, just for once, everyone show some decency and not let the thread about that poor woman descend into some point scoring debate; not about feminism, not about immigrants, not about whatever else you might want to think of. Leave it out!

If you want to discuss it, there are plenty of other forums and threads to do so. Just let this thread have some dignity. </MOD>

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Bless the Murphy family

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Raichu

my god.. poor woman. Same age as my cousin, a teacher also. Very sad to see such a young woman killed for absolutely no reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement