Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young teacher killed whilst out running

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Absolutely horrific story. Such a thing to happen to anyone but when it's such a young person it makes it even more tragic. I hope the Murphy family find peace some day. My thoughts and prayers with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Actually I have to worry where I jog and I take precautions by avoiding certain roads and streets and im not ashamed to admit it.

I am 6ft1 and am a Judo black belt. Or at least I was when I still trained :).

But I have been beaten up and hospitalized when I walked down the wrong street and do not wish a repeat of it.

Now I make sure where I go is well lit and that I am not goign to get stuck at a dead end should something happen.

And there are certain places I will not go after dark. Even some places I will not go during the day.

Everyone should put their own safety first. But sometimes no matter what you do you cant do enough.

What needs to be done is the soft touch legal system needs to lock people up for very long periods for any violent crime. Violent people are allowed to be violent by the law. A slap on the wrist teaches them and those around them that its safe from the law to be violent. And thenb the violence escalates until they hit the limit of what they can get away with.

What needs to be done is the soft touch legal system needs to lock people up for very long periods for any violent crime. Violent people are allowed to be violent by the law. A slap on the wrist teaches them and those around them that its safe from the law to be violent. And thenb the violence escalates until they hit the limit of what they can get away with.

110% this.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭NiceFella

The anger at the absolute cowardice and callousness of it is something that I find is hard to get past.

God love her family,I really hope the community/ Country get behind them and help them through this very difficult period.

RIP Aishling;

• Registered Users Posts: 54,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The killer is still on the loose. Hopefully this menace is apprehended soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Decent try, you forget boards, by policy, refuses to moderate misogyny. It's one of the last bastions of open sexism. Threads in PI wondering why a girlfriend stopped talking to a guy after they choked them without consent during sex. Ladies lounge used to be active, all went behind closed doors to private forums due to constant hassle. There was a pretty disgusting thread about female runners, describing how to make out their vulva in leggings. "Ham sandwiches " or similar terminology. Graham dwyer was a poster on boards ffs.

Anything you say to break that bubble and voice your perfectly valid opinion as a female runner, will be met by outraged nOt ALL mENz.

A shame they won't listen, but there you go.

My heart absolutely breaks for this young woman and her family. But I'm neither shocked or surprised that this has happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Women definitely feel more at risk but to say men dont is wrong. I've had friends attacked walking home from the pub, i was assaulted twice out running also.

I would always ensure the phone is fully charge and would consider the areas where I run also!!!

Its when a group of scum becomes more than one person, it doesnt matter your sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Let the Garda do their work, they did a great job on the case in Lucan.

They might have a good idea who it is, just need to get all the evidence together while keeping an eye on the person.

So sorry for the poor family going through this. No parent should lose a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I feel that this hits home for a lot of people as all too often there is victim blaming. She was out too late, She was too drunk, She shouldn't have been on her own, Her friends left her etc etc BS.

The thing is that going for a run after work in an area where you would expect people to be running is not something that is easy to make up some BS excuse for victim blaming here.

It was a dreadful thing to happen and not something that happens very often.

I think some of the commentary is about pitting one side against the other men/women etc. is not productive. Rather than divisive slogans it should be unity in that we all what to live/run/walk etc country where we don't have fear of violence. If there is someone to point the finger at it is the judiciary and the ability for people to reoffend for violent crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭Xander10

Hopefully the person they have under observation now is the right person this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Someone said males dont have to worry about when they go for a run. Thats a big assumption. I certainly do as I'm profoundly deaf. Doesnt matter that I'm male, being unable to hear leaves me extremely vulnerable and even more so especially when it's dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t believe AGS identified anyone yesterday!

or did I miss something?

Not nearly enough to be identifiable unless you knew them. In which case you would likely have heard anyway.

ruined their life; give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

People on social media are to blame for the spreading of names, photo's etc. The fella that was wrongly accused, got some awful abuse on Facebook etc. Now the second and third suspects names, pictures etc, are doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where do you think the information on his age, his nationality, his past record came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Everyone is a detective these days. The closet most of these people have got to solving crime is to watch a crime documentary on Netflix, yet they are experts on what the Guards should and shouldn’t be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don't have to be a detective to know that they shouldn't have leaked information about his nationality and his past record.

apparently the first suspect's name , nationality and photo were all over social media last night and people had even called to his family home. If he had no involvement this was a major mistake on behalf of the Gardai and local media. It doesn't matter if he had been in trouble before with the Gardai.... its completely irrelevant to this crime. His name and photo should not have been leaked and that's why he was released unequivocally and such a strong statement was made to his lack of involvement. (Not to mention the waste of Garda time that went into this dead end)

The Gardai didn’t leak his picture. Not their fault.

my point was in reply to your earlier comment about how this could ruin his life, ("give me strength"). It could ruin anyone's life to be suspected of murder if you are innocent. That's all. Social media has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

To be clear, I specifically meant the Gardai did not ruin his life.

I agree re: social media. Time and again social media, most often Twitter, is at the forefront of fake news, ridiculous and dangerous rumours & spreading misinformation, Facebook isn’t any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

I have been Listening to my sister and my GF talk about what it is like to be intimidated and abused verbally when jogging or exercising in public. It's maddening. I helped my girlfriend build up the confidence to cycle to work across town , she was a noncyclist so I took the trip with her a few times on weekends until she was up to it herself. She was loving the exercise and was getting there and back twice as fast as a large section is bike lane. I noticed that she stopped and was using the car again and she eventually told me that some chuckling tradesman dude in a white van had asked her at a red light if she liked the feel of the saddle up her "insert expletive for women's genatilia ". There were other incidences of general shouting by scobey types etc too. She's a bit of a sensitive girl and was humiliated and so lost her confidence in taking the bike out. I don't know what the answer to any of this is or what way forward their could be. It's just all maddening and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭jackboy

That is insane. You can be pretty sure that white van guy gives such abuse to women on a regular basis. He just didn’t come up with that comment out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I really don't think the OP intended this thread to go down the route of Garda bashing etc. If runners cannot express their condolences without all these peripheral comments perhaps it is best to close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well all I can say is, hopefully this time, they have the right guy. Certainly looks like it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah, thats sad :(

Just a young woman going for a cycle and some scumbag did it to her. Human life really doesn't seem like it holds much these days. God help her family. Stuff like that will stay with you. Will change you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Her name was Ashling Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Was her name aisling or ashling? Different versions are being given everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,479 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies but some of the troublemakers who caused threads elsewhere on this topic to be closed have now discovered this thread

Some of the speculation in here is highly inappropriate

Thread closed, and some poste may be deleted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement