Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sportives 2022

• 07-10-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Does anyone know if there is any sportive in 2022 that are open for sign up now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just had a look at a few of the websites for some of the bigger sportives planned for 2022.

The Wicklow 200 is scheduled for 12 June and you can register your interest at http://www.wicklow200.ie/ No firm date for when booking opens or what the entry fee will be.

The Ring of Beara on 20 May - booking is due to open this month and you can register interest at https://ringofbearacyclekenmare.com/

The Tour de Beara on 10 September with booking opening on 4 January on https://tourdebeara.ie/

The Skoda Tour de Conamara on 28 May seems to be booked out already!

The Skoda Ring of Clare on 16 July seems to be open for booking on https://ringofclare.ie/register/

The Cliffs of Moher Cycle Challenge on 9 April is open for booking on https://eventmaster.ie/event/4KRZH4rFEe

No word yet that I can see on the Orwell Randonnee, Reservoir Dog or Causeway Coast Sportif.

Feel free to update or add to the list.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This page seems to think the Reservoir Cogs is on Sept 18: https://www.cycloworld.cc/gran-fondo/ireland/reservoir-dog-sportive/19390

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I haven’t done the Wicklow 200 in years.

I should give it another go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Same, don't enjoy it overly much but find it a great way to self motivate for Winter and Spring training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

The WW200 is overpriced. The Orwell Randonee is a better event if it goes ahead and much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Westportif - pencilled in for 23rd April (date was posted to Instagram) but website not updated yet.

Ride Dingle - 23rd April (Registration Open)

Tour de Burren - 18th June (Registration not yet open)

Gran Fondo Wicklow - 10th July (Registration Open)

I see the Orwell Randonnee is listed on the CI calendar as being on 30 April and the Great Dublin Bike Ride is on 25 September.

After an unfortunate gap of a few years, the Mick Byrne 200 has reappeared and is down for 10 September. Hopefully this is accurate as it was always a challenging and really friendly event.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Lap of the Lough in the North opens on the 1st Feburary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Around the 10th of September was usually the Dying Cow, although they ran the Ardattin 200 this year instead. Apart from the cill mhantain 200 as a permanent, all my audax rides have been Sorrento so far!

Ride Dingle my only Sportive entered so far, although I guess I'll be marshalling the WW200 this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

That must be an old link from a previous year Seth. We plan to host the Reservoir Dog Sportive on Sunday 4th September 2022. Save it to your diary🙂. Our website will be updated soon to reflect that date but it is a couple of months yet before we expect to open for event registrations online.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789

I have never cycled in Wicklow. I was looking at the Reservoir Dog and Grand Fondo Wicklow, they seem to have similar routes. They are both are around the same distance and amount of climbing.

The Reservoir Dog goes a bit further north into Dublin and the Grand Fondo Wicklow goes further east to Ashford and Rathdrum.

The Reservoir Dog loops back around to go over the Sally Gap a second time while the Grand Fondo Wicklow goes the by the Wicklow gap.

Which would be the best one to do?

The Wicklow 200 would be beyond my level of fitness, is that the only sportive that goes over the Shay Elliot and Slieve Maan?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which would be the best one to do?

Do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I've signed up for Grand Fondo Wicklow and I'll be signing up for Reservoir Cogs too when it's open. Wicklow is a fabulous place to cycle so why not do both!

From memory, I think the SERC 3 Peaks Challenge does although, unlike the W200, the last time I did it a few years ago the food stop was in between the two climbs so you had a chance to catch your breath. It was due to run in 2020 and 2021, but like many similar events was called off due to COVID-19. Not sure what the plans are for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haven't seen the 3 peaks advertised yet - like said, the food stop is opposite the lodge in glenmalure. Great cakes at the end too!

Some busy roads on the Gran Fondo route, but some nice under the radar hardship Ashford back to Roundwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I have signed up for Cliffs of Moher challenge, Tour De Connemara, Ring of Clare, Tour De Beara (sept ) and wait for 2 lads to give the nod for Mondello 24. Probably do Reservoir Cogs too. Plus add in a few challenges myself as a year long fundraiser.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Tour de Kilkenny 31 July.

Cycling Ireland event calendar shows 30th July (Saturday) for this sportive - Calendar of Events (teamup.com)

Mind you, the mere presence of an event on the CI calendar is no guarantee it'll actually go ahead - what with all the uncertainty over the last two years 2020 was practically a washout, although a few events did manage to go ahead as planned in 2021. Here's hoping that 2022 will be a return to as near a normality as possible. The TdK website still lists the 2021 date as TBC and the registration link points to the 2019 registration page - perhaps this will be updated nearer to the event itself.

• Advertisement

3 peaks is in planning, date is 04APR2022 unless covid restrictions kick in. Not sure on official announcement, will put a thread up once it's open for entries.

Signed up for Tour de Connemara, want to do the reservoir cogs (great route & great club).

Grumpy at the price of the W200, might see if I can get the missus to support me on a fake version.

Want to do 2, 24hr events but travel to the events is a pisstake at the mo.

Still haven't been able to find the entry fee for the W200. How bad is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Was it not 70 or 75 the last time it took place. I doubt they will deviate much.

As an early bird two years ago it was 75 euros (40% increase on the year before for a non charity event). Can't see it dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Emailed Elite Event Management earlier today and they confirmed the entry fee for this year is €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've done that two or three times and loved it, would be one on my list to come home for as an Irish abroad. The other one I was planning based on the feedback here was the Grass Routes Gran Fondo, sad to see that it is cancelled.

Ah balls! I didn’t know that - just reading it on their Facebook page now. That is a real shame - one of the more unique sportives I’ve participated in - glad I managed to do it last year - and was looking forward to doing it again this year 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Murdo87

I have two tickets for The Skoda Tour de Conamara on 28 May if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

80 quid plus 10 more CI license to do the ringofbeara cycle at end of May, what an absolute rip off. No way I'm paying that amount for a cycle. How are these prices even justified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Any news on the Blackstairs Challenge in Ballinkillen, Carlow? Always a cracking sportive every April with a whopper feed before, during, and after the cycle.

Advertisement