Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion and Engaging with the Teacher

Options

Comments

You miss the point. The issue is not whether my kid should have applied for and been accepted to a Catholic school. It's that Catholic schools were neither suitable nor acceptable for us. If we were operating in a free market where we all picked schools like we pick shops that wouldn't matter. But it does matter when the State uses the power of tax law to take money from people and then discriminates in favour of some people and against others in how it spends that money to build and operate schools - purely on the grounds of religion. The State has passed laws to prevent itself from discriminating against people in this way for other reasons. The State legally bars itself from discriminating in this way on the grounds of gender, or marital status, or age, or disability, or sexual orientation, for example. In fact, the State legally bars itself from discriminating in most ways on the grounds of religious belief. Most ways, but not this way. The State spends something like eight billion euro of tax receipts each year on a system that is actively designed to allow this discrimination. Ireland is not a Catholic state for a Catholic people, and we have long since learned to leave that kind of sectarian thinking to hardliners in the North.

If Catholics want Catholic schools, let them pay for them instead of taking my tax money. Same goes for Protestants or Muslims. While we're at it, let the atheists do the same and compete in the market. But you and I both know that a free market model of primary and secondary education will not work. So the only alternative is for the State to fund it - and the only logical basis for that is to accept the principle of no taxation without representation and fund a system that is not dominated by religious groups, and one religious group in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you've fallen for too much facebook guff. You are operating in a free market. Nobody forces you to live in a particular area or to attend a particular school (you can actually even home-school your children if you want to!!). You choose where you want to live and you choose what school to send your child to or what school not to send them to.

There is a Constitutional right to education. Which is why the State provides teachers. The teacher gets paid regardless of whether they teach in a religious or non-religious school (once that school is properly certified and approved). If the State builds a school, it owns the school. If another body builds the school, it owns the school. If the State proposes to build a school, it has an open call for potential patrons to apply for it. A parent may be any religion, or none, and send their child to the local Catholic school because they like the school. That parent pays tax. It isn't your right to decide to over-ride the Constitution and say that his child shall not receive the same funding as every other child who attends a public school. You don't get to discriminate based on your own intolerances.

You have your set of beliefs. If you build your magical Atheist school then sure a Flying Spaghetti Monsterian can move into your area and use your argument that the government is using taxpayer money to fund your beliefs in a school rather than what they believe to be the real truth - Flying Spaghetti Monsterism.........so you're gonna have to hand over your school........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I take great exception to your accusation of sock puppeting, who is more likely to have multiple accounts, me that has been on here for over 15 years or you with 26 posts?

Maybe more than one person disagrees with you, thats the problem with zealots, so convinced of their own righteousness.

You think i care whether the schools are taken out of church patronage?? i couldnt care less, but it just proves you arent reading my posts. Like i said i dont really care what man in the sky you believe in, but personally id rather get on with things than see injustice everywhere because its all a load of nonsense really.

No i dont what i think is you cant cater for everyone and if over 90% if people identify as one thing either get on with it or go somewhere you feel better represented.

Ill repeat, if your religion is that important to you you wont be relying on a school to teach your kids about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Assumption A: that a more suitable school further away, but still within reach, exists. Most parents both have to work and driving kids about for hours every day is madness.

Assumption B: that this school has enough places available to admit all applicants from within its catchment area, because you're outside it so will be right at the bottom of its admission policy criteria.

Most ETs are already oversubscribed from within their own catchment area so there is no chance of a child living in an adjacent area which has no ET getting in. None whatsoever. But people still keep putting this forward as a "solution".

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Because when I started typing my reply it was the most recent post mentioning Harte and sectarianism.

As for the second part, the programme for government has a (very unambitious and inadequate) target of 400 multi-denominational primary schools by 2030. Not only will the Dept of Education not get near that, they have no credible plan to even try, and no workable process in place for divestment. They deserve plenty more criticism on this than they are getting. It's just not good enough.

Much more on that here:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

10 per cent? So you're claiming that Catholics make up 90% of the population now?

Meanwhile, back in the real world, only 78% bothered to tick Catholic on the last census, and that figure includes OAPs. Most parents (even among those whose children do communion and confirmation) don't regularly attend church and clearly don't regard the Catholic faith as very important in their lives beyond a nice day out for the kids. You'll spot them on the day at the mass, not having a clue when to stand up or sit down because they haven't been to church since they were a child themselves.

Most marriages taking place in Ireland are now non-religious. What makes you or anyone else think that these future parents want a school system dominated by religious ethos schools which indoctrinate during the school day?

I don't have Facebook. If you read my posts, you'd know that I adopted a free market approach to my problem, and moved house. Not everyone has the resources to do that.

It's also an Orwellian abuse of the English language to say this:

It isn't your right to decide to over-ride the Constitution and say that his child shall not receive the same funding as every other child who attends a public school. You don't get to discriminate based on your own intolerances.

I've already said that it isn't anyone's right to do that. For the slow kids in the class, "anyone" includes me, and it includes you. You're the one arguing that you should be allowed over-ride the Constitution and discriminate against non-Catholics based on your intolerance. I'm arguing that you should not.

It doesn't matter how often you repeat a sectarian argument, it is still sectarian.

I'm only assuming that you do care because you're arguing for it. You made a compelling argument for schools to be taken out of church patronage, but you stopped just short of asking for that. It's not I who needs to read your posts. It's you.

• Advertisement

Ah, "agree with me or get out". Would you say that to brown-skinned people as well? Surely not?

Cheers. As I mentioned already, I don't have the highest opinion of Mickey Harte for a variety of reasons.

You say the Department of Education deserve plenty more criticism than they are getting. But you didn't criticise them - you said that the reason Ireland isn't getting the results we should be getting is because civil servants are religious conservatives. That may be bigotry, or defamation, or extremism, or immaturity, but it's not criticism. So withdraw it. You shouldn't have said it, and it says a lot more about your mindset than it does about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You’d have no problem with taking religion out of schools presumably, and leaving parents to teach their kids about what is important?

Please don't lie. Where did I say that I should be allowed to over-ride the Constitution and discriminate against non-Catholics? Did I say that non-Catholics should be excluded from Catholic schools? Did I say that State funding for teachers in non-Catholic schools should be removed (The converse of that was proposed by another poster who wants to deny State funding to any child that attends a Catholic school). I have repeatedly said if Catholics/Jewish/Muslims/Athiests/Flying-Spagetthi-Monsterans want to get their act together and get a proper structure in place and support for a school then they should be given support. But the don't get to sit on their arses and steal the effort of others.

Nobody forces anyone to attend a school. Your own story is proof of same. There was a Catholic school near you which you didn't want your children to attend so you moved. That is free choice in action. I assume you moved to a non-denomination school. If there was a Catholic family living beside that school you moved to, it isn't discrimination against them that that school isn't Catholic. It would be discrimination if they were not allowed to attend it, or if there were different rules for State funding of Catholic schools compared to other denominations. People can moan that they can't afford to move house.....well that could be easily solved in advance by considering these things before they bought the house. Additionally, as others have pointed out, the vast majority of schools built in the last couple of decades have been non- or multi-denominational. These are often built in quickly growing areas. Which are also the areas with cheaper housing! The issue with not moving to those areas is not that they are not affordable, it is more snobbishness than anything.

Maybe a person lives in a relatively large town. They live in the older part of the town. There is a nice Catholic school beside them. On the other side of the town are all the new sprawling estates. The Educate Together school was set up there 10 years ago to cater for the massive influx of people. There are lots of immigrants who moved to the town. They have a fine new school there. But maybe Mammy doesn't want little Paddy to be mixing with the "new people". That's why they won't send them to the ET school. It's "too far away" they will pretend. Mammy has high-faluting ideas that she is special and little Paddy is special and she wants special rules made for her and everyone else should change and conform to what she wants on any given day of the week. Any child should be welcome at any of the schools.

Your argument is completely twisted. You are effectively taking the position that unless and until every single facet of education conforms to your specific desires, you are being discriminated against. If there was a single Catholic school in the country, you'd say you were being discriminated against because of its existence. That is completely self-centred madness.

Loads of schools are oversubscribed, the COI across the road for me is, yet one of my kids got a place despite being very low on the eligibility criteria, so saying there is no chance of getting in without trying suggests the strength of your convictions are weak, ditto assumption A, like i said its either important to you or not.

So despite the fact the church is dying out, we still have almost 80% identify as catholic, 44% of marriages in 2019 were catholic.

Im not saying people want a school with a religous but most people are sensible and dont really care as long as its a good school, using words like indoctrinate and dominate shows your true colours in that regard.

Im not arguing for it, you are arguing against it, and i am suggesting that you need some perspective.

what would the colour of your skin have to do with religion???

non whatsoever. id much rather we didnt have to go through the charade of communion etc as i havent been to mass since i left school, but ill go along with it because there are far more important things to me in life. I dont understand anyone with strong religious convictions be they catholic, hindu or otherwise but i am happy enough to leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You’ve been making good, sensible arguments for the most part, but you’ve let yourself down here. You’ve essentially just said “you’re probably a racist with a viewpoint like that”, without quite coming out and saying it. Makes it seem like you’re starting to feel outmatched.

• Advertisement

If people of other religions and no religion were 'left to it' by catholic schools, that would be great. But we're not left to it - we're required either to join in or be left out of key school events, because of a different religion or no religion. That's just not on.

you are being 'left out' of things you dont want to be involved in anyway. Like i said it depends on the strength of your convictions, im happy to go along with it myself, if i cared that deeply about id make alternative arragements. Im sure my kids, much like i did, will start to question religion before they goto secondary school, sooner maybe as we dont attend church or make any reference to religion outside of school. I certainly dont feel they are being indoctrinated.

Like i said the core principals of most religions are fine anyway, its more the instituitions themselves that are the issue.

Andrew, if you choose to send your child to a religious denominated school, and the school has an optional event, you have the additional choice whether your child partakes or not. That is your choice. It is not valid for you to choose to opt out ad then moan that you didn't take part. You've made a lot of choices to end up at that particular imagined predicament. If you want to use your own child as a pawn, again it is your choice.

You have no right to tell anyone what they can or cannot post.

How is it any more defamatory than calling them utterly incompetent? They're either one, the other, or some mixture of both...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Choochtown

As difficult as it is to leave aside the gruesome history of child abuse and financial irregularity of the catholic church, there is another compelling argument against catholic national schools.

In 2012, the OECD’s ‘Education at a Glance’ report found that the average seven or eight year old in Ireland spends 10% of their time being taught religion – while the average among EU countries is 5%. That's 91 hours a year!

A group of parents in Norway took a case all the way to the European Court of Human Rights in 2007 (European Court of Human Rights. Folgerø and others v. Norway) and won their case.

The case was about being allowed to exempt your child from religious instruction which of course is now also permitted here however some of the language of the ruling is interesting ...

"Norway could not be said to have taken sufficient care that information and knowledge included in the curriculum be conveyed in an objective, critical and pluralistic manner"

"religious instruction should only consist of information, and not include preaching or religious practice"

"Teaching should also be carried out in a neutral and objective manner and promote the same degree of respect and understanding for all religions and philosophies"

Whatever way it is framed. 10% of education time being spent on Religion at the expense of Numeracy, Literacy, Science etc. is a disgrace and it would be foolish to think that resources are put aside to make up the shortfall for those who do opt out of religion class.

I absolutely DO want to be involved in the school's celebratory end of term event at Christmas and the school musical event. The problem is that they're founded on religious matters which don't apply to me, or to a growing number of other students and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Couldn't agree more. "Happy to go along with it" sums up the problem. It's exactly why 90% of our primary schools are still Catholic and (incredibly) we're still letting them take on the running of new schools. No one gives a shyte about the religious aspects but it still gives the Catholic Church enormous power over our kids, just so the grandparents aren't upset and they can have a bouncy castle for the Communion.

And those of us who do object are made to feel like the odd ones out?

why dont you suspend your disbelief for a few hours and join in, they wont go up in flames if they partake in a nativity play. Treat it as any other work of fiction.

Enormous power over our kids? in what way, are they building an army of pre teens?

Given how little irish people generally care about religion now considering it was far more likely we all went to mass every week and the church had far more influence, how likely is it that our children will 'indoctrinated' ?

• Advertisement

Why should I expect my children to partake in something that isn't positioned as an work of fiction, but positioned as real life and we should be bowing down and adoring? Why should the State being paying people to indoctrinate others with their religious beliefs?

Advertisement