Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This whole cancel culture myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah because because every right-wing echo chamber launched so far has been a roaring success.

You clearly said Trump's supporters are "cultural refuse", "too stupid for the police", "too craven for the army". There are 75 million Trump supporters that you are tarring with the same brush. I am pointing out how intolerant and closed minded you are by generalising 75 million people like that.

There's every chance Gettr will go the way of Parler. There might be a few more failures but eventually one of them will stick. You can't control the internet that easily. People will eventually find a way to congregate and have open and honest debate without needing to censor people..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That you don't make any distinction between the comments of Alex Jones and JK Rowling is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

What has been done against JK? She wasn't doing a massive amount anyway except random threads on twitter which she is still doing. Oh no she was not featured every second of the Harry Potter special. Who cares? She doesn't. By all accounts she was hardly a massive deal to those on the set for the films and well people are going to work with her less if they don't like her.

She is still free to work and appear on any media she wishes to. What she is not guaranteed of is a paying audience but no one is entitled to that no matter what they said. She is still on twitter last I checked. She still has a pen and can get books published. You can't force people to like her or force them to buy her new stuff. That is not being cancelled, that is just capitilism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, I didn't. Feel free to prove this but since you've failed to answer my earlier request I won't hold my breath.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

How did JK Rowling stand up for women when she published a novel (under a pseudonym) about a cross-dressing serial killer? I'm not saying she should not have, but please explain how someone who clearly has an anti-trans agenda is standing up for women in that particular case?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Another example I remember when Dave Chapple encited the LBGT community through his "alphabet people" sketch on Sticks & Stones.

Reviewers tore it to shreds, obviously courting the woke generation, kinda backfired as it was a very funny routine that resonated with the viewing public.

He's rode that crest of a wave to become the most famous comedian in the world.

Sometime an attempted cancelling just raises the profile of the so called offender, don't think Dave is crying any tears with all that Netflix money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't. They object to any criticism of any right wing culture warriors whatsoever. They can't shut it down so they have to poison the well with nonsense like cancel culture and woke. It's all they have because there is no defence for some of these people.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Here's the proof - a simple copy/paste of your earlier post:

"That Trump's supporters are cultural refuse too stupid for the police and too craven for the army does not change this."

Trump had 75 million voters in the last election and many more supporters who didn't vote. That's a big generalisation you're making. Shows how closed minded your way of thinking is to dismiss such a huge population.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did the Friends reunion have much time dedicated to the creators and writers or was it all just about the cast ?

• Advertisement

eh...that's what makes it absurd. There's no distinction made, just a blanket embrace of anybody. Real 'the enemy of my enemy must be my friend' binary thinking, which means you end up defending some indefensible stuff.

Alex Jones is a very weird hill to die on.

not everybody who voted for trump is a trump supporter. The majority (probably the vast majority) would have voted republican no matter what candidate the GOP put forward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rotten Tomatoes can be interesting as far as the gulf between profesional reviewers and amateurs and the ticket buying public can go. The gulf tends to be wider on 'woke'(I hate that term) subject matters. Though it's hadly a shock to find that people don't like being preached at, unless they're already believing members of the congregation of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

She stood up for women elsewhere as is well documented. Is she supposed to stand up for women 24/7? When she takes a shower or makes a cup of tea is she meant to also stand up for women?

If she makes a book about a cross-dressing serial killer is there something wrong with that? I remember a great film called Silence of the Lambs had a similar story line. That's widely held to be one of the greatest films of all time.

I never said everyone who votes Republican fitted the criteria of Trump supporter. I didn't think it needed pointing out but you're clearly that desperate so there it is. I'll take your disingenuous and deceitful post as an acceptance that cancel culture is a myth since you have not one shred of proof. Thanks.

Sure. I know that and you know that but the culture warriors are incapable of making the distinction. Any criticism whatsoever is a slight that cannot go unpunished.

H. H. Asquith

Just tell me how a well known anti-trans activist is standing up for women when she creates a cross-dressing serial killer in one of her stories, thanks. How does the creation of that character protect women?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Both sides weaponise things like Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't think Chappelle's last special was anywhere near as good as most of his previous ones, but it was rated lower due to people being upset by the content. Likewise things like Captain Marvel was review bombed before it even came out due to comments Brie Larson made.

Rotten Tomatoes scores shouldn't be used as evidence of anything. They have become utterly meaningless.

It's not absurd. On the contrary it perfectly shows that nobody is safe from cancel culture. Eventually the left eats their own. They are in a purity test and anyone who is slightly out of step with "The Message" gets chewed up and spat out. And it amuses me to see people debasing themselves and ingratiating themselves with the woke mob, hoping to be spared. The thing about appeasing a crocodile is that it eats you last, but it does eat you.

That you think Alex Jones is a victim of (in your words) "trumped up charges then retrospectively applied at the discretion of the woke mob" tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

How is she anti-trans? By trying to protect biological women's spaces? She said that trans rights must be protected. That's not anti-trans.

And I don't know how the creation of a cross-dressing serial killer protects women? Maybe it's just a work of fiction and not something to think too deeply about?

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be deceitful and disingenuous. I'm illustrating that you need to be more careful with words when you dismiss Trump supporters. There are 75m+ of them so you need to be more precise with your language. As no doubt you would hold me to the same standard if not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭growleaves

Politically correct witch hunts happen routinely, and not just to people in pop culture, scientists can get cancelled because the implications of e.g. Intelligence Research are found to be 'hateful'.

Don't take the apologists and minimisers at face value. Would the same people have said the Catholic church pushing John McGahern out of his job was no big deal? They are interested in their ideology having power. Who/whom as Lenin put it.

I wasn't specifically referring to Alex Jones. To be honest I don't defend him per se. He's a whack job albeit an entertaining whack job.

I just used him as an example of somebody who had been cancelled (people claimed cancelling with a myth so I used him as an example).

Well when you learn how to "think deeply" about stuff come back to me, amigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really? You don't think there's any connection between a woman who clearly strongly feels that trans women shouldn't be allowed to use womens toilets, locker rooms etc due to safety concerns, writing a book in which a man dresses as a woman and kills people? No connection whatsoever?

Regardless of what side of the fence people are on in that debate, to suggest it's "not something to think too deeply about" is ridiculous. The story was clearly based on her opinions of trans women.

But you did specifically refer to him. By name. You put him in the same bracket, as a victim of "trumped up charges then retrospectively applied at the discretion of the woke mob", which is absolute horsesh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I think most logical people would feel the same regarding female only spaces and the blunt force bully tactics to try and allows penises in to them, it's not a radical view believe it or not. And "chameleon killer" is a well worn trope in books and media, there is nothing different about what she wrote except some people clutching at straws trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Well the most direct metric is the number of people who voted for him which was 74m. I think a lot more people support him but didn't vote for him in the election (1 million is probably a conservative estimate).

• Advertisement

I accept that I was sloppy with my words but your comment about 75 million people was definitely both. Spare me the tired both sides boll*cks.

As you've failed to provide any sort of proof for the existence of cancel culture, I suggest we leave it there.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement