Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married Men - A Gay Lads View - Have you ever had an experience?

Options

Comments

That's it really.

I don't think that anyone who would willingly engage in sexual activity with the same sex could ever be categorised as straight.

But sure, everyone can define themselves as anything these days.

Just be careful not to pigeon hole people into a defined box.

Unless its the box they demand to be referred to as.

Because not referring to someone as they want is dehumanising.

Even if their definition is at odds with the actual definition.

But definitions are a social construct so aren't real.

Apart from when they are real and part of an identity.

And identities are unique.

And there are an infinite amount.

So definitions mean nothing

Unless its the definition of a gender.

Because it's important that genders are respected.

Although they are social constructs.

Which aren't real.

Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

should we all just meet up and suck each other off and then come back to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

That is pretty much how I think along these lines. Over the years when younger I would have thought "not looking at the mantlepiece while poking the fire" . As years progressed and I came to realise my sexuality I realised I was gay. Probably most of the men who have messaged me have been married and not getting it at home which lead me down this path. What is worthy of note that there are men here who defined that even having one encounter makes one gay, not true at all. Lots of us do experience this rite of passage of being curious, we have to satiate our curiosity. Via labelling this as being gay, it stigmatises a lot of those whom want to have it. Cramcycle you summed it up nicely

• Advertisement

I don't think people have called it gay. I think people have called it bisexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Packrat

See this is what the thread is all about.

You "had a crack at it just to see"

I didn't cos I knew fcuking well that it wasn't what I wanted.

It was never a question.

Why must those of you who were/are "curious" (I'd call it confused) try to de-legitimise the experiences of those of us who knew all along what we wanted and what we didn't?

It's downright fcuking insulting.

Enough.

Deal with your own desires and stop projecting.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Hi fella

No one is trying to do that here, this thread was aimed at a lot of men whom do appear to have a sense of curiosity about them. Nothing was ever intended to question the hetro credentials of most of the lads here. It was just a thread to see if many people were curios.

No, whatever the intent of the thread, that is what it has descended into.

Every single comment by someone who isn't curious/confused has been rebutted, minimised and dismissed.

Debate and discussion is great, but browbeating isn't on.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

Well the premise of the thread was to ask about curious men and their experiences. There then became a calacophony of those talking about cheating>that they are really gay not curious. In all fairness it was a two way street. There was a slew of men who insisted they are not gay or bi however seemed intent on invalidating those who had. To fairly walk in the shoes of those who are, it requires a degree of honesty. OK so you might be straight, butch as hell and comfortable in yourself but how many of those have ever had a passing thought, have maybe had temptation placed after a few drinks or not done it. Does not a gay or bisexual a man make. I probably expected too much. The browbeating has come from both parties in all fairness but when you look at the responses on the thread - who has done most of the talking? was it the curious guys? ;)

Look, - I'm not taking issue with the intent or premise of the thread.

I thought it was an interesting one actually UNTIL the cries of "everyone's straight until they've had a few" appeared.

The dispute seemed to arise over labels.

One group seems to believe that any same sex experience = gay and everything else is a mask.

Another see it in terms that if not exclusively hetero experiences then bi.

Another larger group appear to think that it's possible to be straight and have the occasional same sex experience.

I didn't particularly take any of these positions.

What pissed me off was that some of the latter group went on to extrapolate that those of us who have honestly posted our motivations and desires here those being exclusively hetero, including a major ick factor which would completely prohibit any same sex activity, were somehow wrong, lying, lacked self awareness or whatever.

Why is it so hard to believe that we are being honest or that we have any degree of self awareness?

I accept that it would be a lot harder in this imperfect society in which we live to post that one had had same sex experience whilst identifying as straight.

But few did and most just tried to pick holes in what some of us posted.

That leads me to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that one early reply to this thread was correct when they suggested that this was gay fantasy literature and little more.

To sum up ...

LGBTQ posters think you can be straight and have some same sex relationships.

The Straight posters think straight means having no interest/curiosity in same sex relationships.

Liklihood of people changing their beliefs.... <0

As for the, 'he doth protest too much ' comments 🙄

As for 'loads' of married guys on Grindr etc. Surprised much? Repressed Ireland is coming to an end, but there were plenty of poor b... people for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

There are plenty of Gay people for whom the very thought of a heterosexual encounter engenders visceral feelings of disgust, just like Straight people would find the thoughts of a homosexual encounter.

But there are also plenty of gay people who don't find the thought of having sex with a woman viscerally disgusting, they're just not into it.

I don't believe it's true at all that being straight or gay is about whether you can or cannot engage with men or women. It is about who you're attracted to. Not about who makes you feel gross.

You're assuming that every straight person reacts exactly like you. That your experience of being straight is the only one. Anyone who deviates from your experience is not straight. It's a bit egocentric.

Definitions are a handy but imperfect tool for communication. That's it. It's not postmodernism that's the issue because it's not postmodernist to point this out. The issue is that people try and use definitions (conveniently the definitions that suit them) to impose meaning and categorisation on others.

So when I say gay and you say gay in most cases we are talking about the same thing. men who are into men and not women. And women who are into women and not men.

But in some cases it'll turn out we are using words differently. Maybe you think a man who is into men but doesn't vomit at the thought of having sex with a woman is not gay whereas I would think he is gay.

A dictionary definition isn't going to prove either of us right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The idea that someone could desire sex with someone of the same sex and still call themselves "straight" is patently nonsense.

These are people who are unwilling to part with that idea of themselves, or who still believe that sexuality falls into hard lines of gay or straight. As opposed to being on a spectrum where someone can be "Bisexual but mostly interested in the opposite sex".

I know there are some who think that all people are at least a little flexible, but as a completely straight man I can say for certain that's not true. I've matured beyond the childish notion that sex with another man is "ick" or would make me vomit, but at the same time it's about as appealing to me as having sex with a soggy sandwich.

I can recognise when another man is attractive, but on a sexual/attraction level I look at them with the same level of sexual interest that I look at a toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

hmmm, well someone like Pastor Fred Phelps who was obsessed and on a crusade of hate against gay people - yeah he was hiding something, most likely a self loathing gay man - sad really.

Then there was that lad in school that had to make everything "gay" ... a bloke looked at him - "what you lookin ah ya bleedin queer..."

" I don't bleedin' ****, only queers do dah, I've a bird to do dah for me..." - yeah hiding something.

However someone that says they have zero zero interest in any sexual experience with a man ... eh not hiding anything, just being honest.

Null zip nada, have no interest in the penis - sorry!!

Only my own :)

Well actually to take your question from the other direction - it is actually a known fact I think that not all the people who sexually abuse children are pedophiles. Often it is a crime of power - taboo - opportunity - or something else. The simple fact they had sexual activity with a child does not in and of itself make them a pedophile.

Once again this is because the actual definitions of things like sexual orientation are distinct from sexual behavior and sexual identity. One of the definitions I quoted even made that word for word explicit. The actual sexual activity you engage in does not necessarily have to map onto your sexual orientation.

The "sex is where the rubber meets the road" or "the mickey either works or it doesn't" thinking is just wrong therefore and conflates things that the actual definitions explicitly move to separate.

For the latter idea - for many guys the mickey leaps to attention with a minimum of input. How many of us remember erections sitting in class in school. Even a lack of stimulus and input is enough to set it off. Someone sitting on your lap can set it off. This concept that attraction and arousal is required is simply not true for many men. What I feel (again) is going on is one or two individuals know what they themselves feel or think or need - and are simply assuming everyone else must work the same as they do. This "I as a straight person can not even consider the idea of it without revulsion therefore that must be what it means to be straight" thinking. To the point some straight guys even presume to know the minds of lesbian women and are psychic :p

Tongue out of cheek though: For the second idea more seriously though there have been homosexual men who hid their sexuality from the world - maybe even trying to deny it in themselves - and they settled down into a heterosexual relationship and even had children. They either managed this for life - or eventually the turmoil of it broke them and the relationship down. Often with outcomes that were emotionally damaging to all concerned. They functionally managed physical arousal and sex for all that time however.

So this need some people have to force black and white very rigid labels and definitions - purely of their own invention - onto the deep and diverse world of human sexuality is simply doomed to fail. Especially if they get haughty and upset with the people who dare to mention what the actual definitions are and what they mean.

But once again: Human Sexuality is, by the actual definitions (which I have even cited unlike the people complaining about definitions), based on the "enduring patterns" and "typical" attractions of the person involved. So as much as the "if you even think about sex with someone of your own gender you are gay/bi" people are simply wrong in that light. Isolated events in your life - or even a single exception relationship which could be a long term relationship of years or even decades - do not relabel your sexuality in the light of those definitions. And calling yourself heterosexual - while it might be intensely triggering to a small couple of sexually conservative older males - is actually linguistically valid, coherent, and correct.

But as I keep saying - there is nothing wrong with having ones own definitions for words and being clear what those definitions are! That is fine and understandable. But as I said in my first post and I repeat it there - that understanding has to go both ways. And it appears to me by the conversations I had on this thread since last night that for some individuals - it doesn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it's also the differences between where people define the lines of abstraction(and lord knows humans are gangbusters at abstraction). The objective and the subjective in very basic terms. My personal position would admittedly be the more reductive. IE for me sexual orientation would be: Straight, Gay, Bi, Asexual. Gender would be: male, female, intersex. Anything after that are abstractions and every single one would fit neatly into those previous definitions. Certainly not on the personal, subjective plane and I certainly do understand that, both on the societal and personal front. This goes quadruple for those who didn't, or don't fit into a cultural 'norm" and have suffered for it and continue to suffer from it today. I fully get why self identity, labels and no labels, nuanced stuff follows from that as a sense of community and meaning for people who didn't quite 'fit'. As a Straight male I don't have to 'fit' so will come at this from quite a different position because of that.

But in some cases it'll turn out we are using words differently. Maybe you think a man who is into men but doesn't vomit at the thought of having sex with a woman is not gay whereas I would think he is gay.

And fair enough, but when someone gives an example of a person identifying as Straight, but who seeks out a once a week Gay sexual encounter, or has a full time Gay romantic and sexual relationship and still claims they're Straight that's where the daft creeps in. More like kicks the door in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I get that example and I would tend to agree but I think its much more nuanced than your example. The guy I had sex with only ever had 1 male to male sexual encounter in his life. Does that really mean he has to be given a label as gay or bi?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think it's also the differences between where people define the lines of abstraction(and lord knows humans are gangbusters at abstraction). The objective and the subjective in very basic terms. My personal position would admittedly be the more reductive. IE for me sexual orientation would be: Straight, Gay, Bi, Asexual. Gender would be: male, female, intersex. Anything after that are abstractions and every single one would fit neatly into those previous definitions.

The 4 sexualities you list are no less abstractions than any other sexuality. You could have 2 sexualities: people who are sexually into other people and people who are not. All 4 sexualities you listed fit into that definition.

The issues with sexuality definitions are fuzzy boundaries and then as a result of where you draw those boundaries you end up with some groups with disparate internal consistency.

So if draw the boundaries such that any man who likes men and isn't REPULSED by women is bisexual and not gay, you end up with a bisexual category that will consist of at least the following 3 groups:

1. Men who have never had sex with women and aren't interested in it. They are into men but not REPULSED at the thought of having sex with a woman.
    2. Men who are interested in both men and women fairly equally.
    3. Men who have never had sex with men and aren't interested in it. They are into women but not REPULSED at the thought of having sex with a man.

Its a simple grouping but not very informative having a sexual category that consists of people with vastly different sexual interests.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd only see it as a problem Anna if someone saw that label itself as a problem. And quite a few would of course, which is where I suspect a lot of the "oh I've had Gay sex, but I'm really Straight" stuff comes from. And usually from men. Put it another way; I'd bet the farm that a lot more Gay folks would be perfectly comfortable with saying they'd had Straight sex (for whatever reasons) in the past. More women would say they were Bi too. IMHO Bi men are the last grey area, even taboo of the sexual revolution

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I do not think he "has" to be no. But if people have their own ideas and definitions of what "gay" and "Bi" mean then that's ok. Let them call such a person gay or bi. But let's just be open, honest, and clear that they are using their own definitions and ignoring the existing ones. And such people merely shouting "daft" at people who have noticed, and are ok with, the actual existing definitions does not magically make it daft.

It is perfectly linguistically coherent and valid for a person who has had same sex experiences - or even a single long term same sex relationship - to identify as "heterosexual". This might annoy people who shout words like "daft" in lieu of a counter argument of any sort. But that reality remains none the less.

And as I said language needs to be descriptive not prescriptive. If the guy you mention is now entirely into women and has no interest in seeking or pursuing same sex experiences - then labeling him "bi" or "gay" is not descriptive. It will not give a third party an accurate representation of that person or how attempted interactions with that person are likely to proceed. And for me - the mileage of others clearly varies - that is the main purpose of language. To give as accurate as possible a representation of realities and expectations to another person as you can.

Therefore - if someone is more interested in fitting the world outside themselves into the linguistic boxes inside themselves - then of course they are likely to use language different to me. Our incentives are entirely different - as are our beliefs likely to be about what language is even for. And I have to be - and am - understanding of that. It is unfortunately not an understanding that is returned in kind by all.

All definitions are abstractions of human language applied to reality to some degree, but there is abstraction and then there's going full Picasso after he necked some absinthe and blotter acid. Going down the rabbit hole of ever decreasing circles is very much of that post modernist bent(though as usual overly simplified by those who use it and those that decry it).

The 4 sexualities you list are no less abstractions than any other sexuality. You could have 2 sexualities: people who are sexually into other people and people who are not. All 4 sexualities you listed fit into that definition.

Asexuality is an absence of orientation, a negative in the 'purest' sense, so of course the others would fit in it, but they fit in it. There isn't a single gender, or orientation in the increasing pantheon out there that doesn't. That's the point.

1. Men who have never had sex with women and aren't interested in it. They are into men but not REPULSED at the thought of having sex with a woman.
    2. Men who are interested in both men and women fairly equally.
    3. Men who have never had sex with men and aren't interested in it. They are into women but not REPULSED at the thought of having sex with a man.

Gay. Bisexual. Straight. In that order. Simples.

You're getting hung up on the "REPULSED" part. Repulsion came up because some were trying to explain how for them there would be little nuance, or 'choice' involved. They quite simply couldn't. As Seamus said above there are people who think others are more flexible, but as a Straight guy he is not and there would be a fair number of Gay men and women that would be just as inflexible. Though because of trying to fit in, certainly in the past, too many had to try to be flexible against their better nature. Too many even going so far as living a lie of marriage and kids, which is appalling. On the other hand someone who says they're Straight but have sought out same sex encounters didn't have that societal pressure and are making active choices to do so. If they have an issue with seeing themselves as Bi, that's on them and there's more going on with that position IMHO.

It is perfectly linguistically coherent and valid for a person who has had same sex experiences - or even a single long term same sex relationship - to identify as "heterosexual". This might annoy people who shout words like "daft" in lieu of a counter argument of any sort. But that reality remains none the less.

OK, if this imaginary person was smack dab in the middle of this long term same sex romantic and sexual relationship and at the same time with a straight(no pun) face claimed they were heterosexual, you would still say that's not even a tad incongruent? Nope. It's still daft and not linguistically coherent. Not unless you want to throw all definitions to the wind and base realities on personally applied labels that don't fit and quite obviously don't fit.

Again you are relying too heavily on words like "daft" (or earlier words like "waffle" or "word salad") to stand in lieu of an argument. But calling it daft over and over will not make it so. Calling it linguistically incoherent over and over will not make it so. And appealing to "definitions" over and over when you have not offered one, cited one, or referred to one - when I have - is unhelpful.

I have cited actual definitions from an established dictionary on one hand and from wikipedia on another hand. I have explained why the existence of such a person as you describe is linguistically coherent and congruent with all those definitions. I am doing the exact opposite of "Throwing the definitions to the wind". I am in fact the only one of us citing the definitions and using them as part of my argument/position/prose. It is you - not me - throwing definitions to the wind and acting like your own one (and I have no problem with your own one I repeat once again - once we are clear it is your own one) is the actual one.

As I said in my response to you, a response you ignored and have not replied to, when you shout the words "by definition" at me - which definition exactly? You have not offered one! And the last time we had this conversation I had the same issue. I asked you multiple times to provide one. You failed to each time. I can dig out a link to that thread if anyone requires it.

If the best you can do in response is shout "daft" I am not sure how to progress the conversation therefore other than to repeat myself over and over at you?

And contrary to your claims at this all being said just to be "right on" - quite the opposite is true. I share much of the despair Dunne describes in post 182 above about how anyone is able to define themselves as anything at all. I have no dog in any of the Transgender debates for example - but when I see what is going on there politically as well as linguistically I just despair to be honest.

Well, for one you don't know whether that hypothetical experience has ever happened, so not sure why you would put that in.

the difference is, that I'm straight. I am not attracted to same sex people, I don't ever imagine having a relationship with anyone of the same sex, I have no interest in people the same sex as me. I'm straight.

sex is sex, simple as.

You have stated that someone in a long term same sex relationship(or having a weekly sexual tryst) can at the same time quite reasonably claim to be heterosexual.

OK, let's take a dictionary definition then: a person who is sexually or romantically attracted to people of the opposite sex : a heterosexual person

Yet, according to you, someone in a long term same sex relationship where they are sexually and romantically attracted to that same sex person is still heterosexual? It would be akin to an Irish person living in France for a year claiming six months in that they've never left Ireland. There really isn't any other word that fits as well as 'daft'.

• Advertisement

Completely agree.

And even if someone was "curious", you'd still know if they were gay, straight or bi by their reaction to it - whether they liked the experience or not.

The sexuality spectrum is most commonly used by promiscuous gay men to justify the age-old fantasy about bedding a straight man, as indeed I believe is the motivation for this entire thread to begin with.

Advertisement