Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married Men - A Gay Lads View - Have you ever had an experience?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm straight, but my my boyfriend is gay !. A hole is a hole. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

philip was caught out and was forced to come out in the slimey way he did

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m shocked having only found out this morning that some people treat other people as nothing more than sex objects…

Not really though, being on the down-low and the lies some people tell themselves to rationalise their behaviour to themselves, never mind anyone else, is nothing new. It’s as old as human civilisation itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Medical statisticians have to use the term "men who have sex with men" because some men who identify as straight do from to time have sex with men.

I would say the "men who have sex with men" tag is more than a little to do with a homophobic holdover in some men who wouldn't come forward in areas like blood donation, medical research etc if they were labeled Gay or Bi. It's a pill sweetener as it were.

I would also reckon that while being Gay has thankfully become far more acceptable in society, Bisexuality is still 'in the closet' to a much larger degree. Particularly in men. It's seen as much more 'acceptable' in women and more women are more likely to admit having Bi encounters. Over the years I've heard both Straight and Gay men and women express suspicion about Bi guys. You can even see this blindspot towards Bisexuality in research. If you look for research into Hetero and Homosexuality there's a mountain of it, but research into Bisexuality is much thinner on the ground(and much of it concerns women's sexual response). Bisexual people, especially men are a grey area and wider society seems to reflect that.

I dont believe its that simple. There are lots of straight men whove had gay encounters but they are straight.

I agree, it's not that simple. On the other hand I'd be far more in Oisin's camp above: Being straight/gay isn't just 'being attracted to' someone, it's whether or not you CAN engage with a gender on that level. There are plenty of Gay people for whom the very thought of a heterosexual encounter engenders visceral feelings of disgust, just like Straight people would find the thoughts of a homosexual encounter. Indeed because of how society is and certainly was, quite the number of Gay people found that out first hand when they tried to 'fit in', or were trying to figure out themselves when younger. A friend of mine's brother is Gay and I remember him briefly having a 'girlfriend' in his teens, but he told me any confusion he had was expunged by that experience. Holding hands was fine, but when they kissed the NOPE was strong and the idea of anything more was pass the sick bag vicar.

In a hetronormative society I can certainly see where a Gay man or woman who's had hetero encounters in the past could identify as '100%' Gay, but a Straight man or woman who has Gay encounters in the same society is exercising far more choice in that and IMHO they're Bi. A one off in adolescence is one thing, but if you're a man or woman having Gay encounters in adulthood you're not Straight. You might like to tell yourself you are, but you're Bi.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's a scale though, I'm sure you of all people are familiar with the Kinsey scale. My partner has had experiences with women so doesn't completely identify as straight, but she isn't bisexual either, she is almost straight but just not quite. I think bi would mean you're equally attracted to both sexes, there are grey areas in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

So you don't need to be sexually attracted to the thing you have sex with??? If that's the case then wouldn't there be more fellas shagging cows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I blame the Greeks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say the grey area is quite simply Bisexuality. If you're "almost straight, but not quite" or indeed "almost Gay, but not quite" you're Bi. Simple as that. I'd even bring it down to the level of a basic physical aversion to a sexual encounter, or not as the case may be. I would also reckon that there are far more Bi people out there than exclusively Gay and even exclusively Straight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think the Kinsey scale is a better way of looking at sexuality rather than just gay straight or bisexual, but sure who cares really what people do in their private lives

Disagreement isn't het up, it's a discussion forum. It's my duty to right the internet, especially AHs - I'm about half way there.

• Advertisement

So in your opinion, everyone is bisexual?

What percent gay and straight are you?

I think it's complicating things unnecessarily. Though that overcomplication has increasingly been a feature of identity debates in my humble and the private has become more public and politicised. Much of it down to individuals liking, even needing a 'label' for themselves as a special signifier of sorts to celebrate their particular special label, while all too often at the same time claiming to hate labels. This applies to all such labels with it. QV "But, what do I know... I'm a straight, white, middle class, professional, Christian heritage* male..." earlier.

The rise of social media accelerated this, but IMHO it was weaponised by the business behind social media as a way to fine tune information for advertising. Like this "there are 40 genders" and "sexuality is a spectrum" stuff. Facebook goes along with that. Of course it does, but it's neither social nor political, but optics and economics. If they find 'cisgender, queer, two spirits' buy more books and tools for DIY, they can aim more ads for books and tools for DIY at 'cisgender, queer, two spirits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As Wibbs was saying, I reckon too that there are a lot more people out there who are bisexual than truly straight/gay. It just makes sense numbers wise that more people will be in between somewhere than exclusively at polar opposites of the scale.

I've had rather interesting conversations with a gay friend of mine who is as repulsed by the idea of sleeping with women as I would be with men. He just couldn't do it. Folks who don't get that aversion and fall into the experimentation/just to get off camps definitely are not 100% straight and are somewhere in between.

There just seems to be a bit of an aversion to use the term bisexual. I suppose it's a bit more straightforward to 'pick a side'.

I would say you actually don't need to be attracted to whoever You are having sex with, it's very possible to have sex with someone while thinking of something completely different.

Obviously this wouldn't be normal in every encounter. And it's better imo to be interested in the person you're riding

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The world isnt that black and white. Everyone doesnt fit neatly into a specific label or box.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its not really an aversion.

The guy I had sex with identifies as straight. He expermented once with me. Who am I to insist he has to be labelled as bi?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

If it's that easy then why not just use the hand so? And wouldn't it be hard to think of someone while smelling and hearing a different person? It's sort of like trying to think of a song in your head while another song that you don't like is playing. But that's just me. In any case I'm jealous of how vivid an imagination you have.

But, who is the better judge of being straight. Someone straight or someone who identifies as not straight? It's not a million miles away from straight people who think gay conversion therapy is possible, because theythink they understand what gay means.

Personally I know I've zero attraction to men. That's not a boast, it's just fact. What label does that get seeing as we have all the LGBTQ+ labels. Don't I get one? I'm happy with straight, which excludes men, however occasionally, act or fantasize about sex with men.

Yeah totally.

Some guys Ive had sex with insist only on the actual physical sex part and nothing else. Its sort of like if there is intimacy then they might actually realise its a man. It probably is a form of internalised homophobia or biphobia too.

Terry Pratchet

Why is there a need for judgement? I personal accept how the person defines themselves and dont feel the need to judge them or insist on labelling them.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose that's the crux of the thing really isn't it? By saying you're 'straight' then you are the one putting yourself into a specific box, a straight one.

I take it from your posts you are not straight? If so, then you have no idea of the aversion I speak of and only someone who is actually straight knows what I mean. I don't mean that in a 'YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!' way, just that there's definitely a physiological reaction that a straight person gets which, if you're not straight, you physically cannot relate to their experience.

Your friend can call themselves anything they want to call themselves. However, if they're able to sleep with a man as per your post and they then call themselves straight, well... that's some high level cognitive dissonance.

I've said already that people can define themselves as whatever they like, but shouldn't assume it's universal or even general.

But why? Why is there a need to insist a person can only be put into the label/box that you give them? Why is there a need to insist the person is wrong?

Terry Pratchet

I suppose that's the crux of the thing really isn't it? By saying you're 'straight' then you are the one putting yourself into a specific box, a straight one.

Yes. And who are you to insist they cannot they cannot go into that box?

Terry Pratchet

Well essentially, if a person who engages in sexual acts with people of the same sex can still identify as straight, then being gay is a choice. I was of the opinion that gay people always said it wasn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Lot of married to men women have affairs with other women and consider themselves straight.

And most lesbians will tell you they have been hit on by married to a man consider themselves straight women at least once. Equally most lesbians will tell you to run not walk away for that particular potential train wreck. Most of these women do not classify/consider/believe themselves to be either lesbian or bisexual. They are, as far as they are concerned, 100% straight. Just looking for a bit of naughty fun where no-one can possibly get pregnant.

And yes, there have been instances of lesbians having sex with men. Sometimes to get pregnant, sometimes because they are drunk, sometimes to 'check' if they are actually lesbian, as sometimes because there is no accounting for folk.

O1s1n sums it up for me to a large extent: Folks who don't get that aversion and fall into the experimentation/just to get off camps definitely are not 100% straight and are somewhere in between.

Though I'd add; or say it because it's seen as the correct thing to say.

Oh sure it's possible to have sex with someone while thinking of someone else, but it's a big leap from that to being able to sex with one gender while thinking of another. Never mind being able to. I mean certain things have to stand to attention to get anywhere and in my case that's just not going to happen with men. Hell there would be a fair proportion of women where it would be struggle, but that would pale into insignificance in comparison to the struggle it would be with any man.

Now at least some of this suspicion around the idea of being physically repulsed by the idea of same sex shenanigans is 100% understandable given for much of history and culture being Gay was itself seen as repulsive, so I can well understand that reaction. But that repulsion exists and not just in Straight people. There are plenty of Gay men and women who would have the exact same visceral nope to the idea of sex with the gender they're not sexually attracted to. And there's nothing wrong with that. If a Gay woman said she is repulsed by the idea of a willie and shagging a man, few enough would take issue with that and dead right too, but if a Straight bloke says the same thing he's somehow wrong, even homophobic?

And yet we seem hellbent on inventing ever more precise boxes. There's a fair bit of cognitive dissonance and irony afoot in identity stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is interesting. I wonder what percent of people thought of as straight would have experimented with someone of their own gender? It wouldn't be for me, wouldn't have fancied it at all, but it seems some people do. Knew of a man who left his wife of over 20 years because he was gay. Very sad for all sides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Is everyone who pays for sex attracted to the person they are paying?

I agree with you. Attraction is not a given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Don't know about that , but I distinctly remember the nj governor 'coming out' after he was caught with his 'aide' . My uncle and aunt had kittens because they'd voted for him simply because he was McGrevey

Advertisement