Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,821 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend a high luck run. It's really fun and changes the game up and you end up with really rare drops you normally wouldn't see because your luck is so high and have to rely on criticals because your other stats are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Everyone giving good advice and a respectful meeting of opinions. Will try out some of these MD suggestions. Definitely missed out on a lot of those MD games as I moved over to SNES.

Also, just glad to see an active boardsie forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

We barely survived, it was looking grim for a while. I really only use Boards for this forum now, such was the failure of the site migration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sat down and played Football Manager on my Zx81 for about an hour today, almost got Northampton Town promoted to Division 3 and probably could have spent another couple of hours carrying on if life hadn't got in the way.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Those old football management games are incredibly addictive. Hours seemingly pass in an instant. I loved Championship Manager 99/00 & Football Manager 2007. I could even play them on GNU/Linux via Wine. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Modern football management is too much of a chore, too much like work for me! Plenty enough in the classics imo.

There's even too much management in FIFA these days for my liking, give me the megadrive FIFA where you can spend your time running away from the ref. Actual fun.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

They added on too much fluff & bloat in the management sims.

I love the 8-bit & 16-bit era or gaming.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just had a read of that IGN article there, meh. IGN reviews for me are like the RTE guide film reviews. I don't read them but every time I happen to see one it's always shite

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Definitely no fluff or bloat in Football Director on the C64. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah it was played an awful lot in my house by the brother - it had something about it that made it very addictive (if footy management sims are your thing ofc). Similar to Championship Manager did/does years later I guess.

I got hooked on Premier Manager for the Megadrive back in the day. It was a bastard though for ripping you off....you'd be 3-0 up with 3 game mins to go (3 seconds) ....then suddenly "raaah" "raaah" "raaah" in 3 seconds it'd be 3-3. So I started saving the game after every win, loading after a loss, and won the premier league...at the cost of completely breaking the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Nomad is a great device, but I think the Turbo Express/ PC Engine GT does it even better!

Only kidding, they are both great, but the TG16 portable system is an absolute wonder and was one of those devices I thought I would never own, but now do.

It helps that much of the output on the system are excellent arcade ports and are very suited to the pick-up and play style that handhelds are good for.

Yes, it eats batteries, and it needs a cap-kit done, and the screen is very old and could be updated, but it is still something special to slot a TG16 game into it and watch it spring to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,247 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spent a good bit of time last night playing Darius Extra Version for the Megadrive.

It's really a shmup game done right from an options/menu point of view.

For one, there's a score save feature. which is something I wish every shmup had. The menu has loads of different game versions, from the original game to 'extra version', time attacks, boss rushes etc - that coupled with the score saving and there's absolutely loads to keep you going.

While I was mucking about with my MD, I decided to connect my Mega CD 2 back up again. Haven't powered it on in a good 5-6 years and can happily say it's still going strong.

Sadly my PCE seems to be on the fritz, just booting to a white screen. I am hoping it's just the Everdrive but have a feeling there might be more to it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,821 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beat Operation C. It's a great little Contra game for the Gameboy. It's a little simpler than super C and a bit shorter but I had a lot of fun with it.

Master of the Universe

That's a really great game, I was playing it not too long ago on the Switch Contra Anniversary collection having never gone near it before. Really wish I'd had it back in the day, would have absolutely loved it.

I think I prefer it to Super C. It might be shorter but all 5 levels are great whereas the overhead levels in Super C aren't that good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm too lousy a games player to have enjoyed any of the Contra/Probotector games, they mock me every time I give them a try, driving me back into the arms of a Picross game, they always accept me for who I am...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭deadduck

I’ll have to check if GBSP on psp can load regular game boy games. Have been using it again lately to give Metroid Fusion a go. I read reports of it having trouble playing some gba games correctly, but I’ve had no hassle, seems to do a great job. The psp is a brilliant little emulation machine

Post edited by deadduck on

• Advertisement

Well Operation C is a lot easier than standard contra.

I actually don't find contra games that hard. Contra and Super C just need an afternoon or two of dedication. Contra 3 is fine once you can deal with the missile boss. Hard mode is a different story.

Hard Corp and Shattered Soldier are pure evil.

If you want an easy contra then try Neo Contra on PS2. It's very manageable and a fantastic 2 player game as well.

See Retr0, I have now a 50 year old set of thumbs... just about

Not sure what my excuse was when I was 40, or 30 for that matter...

Hard games are nothing to do with skills and reflexes I find. It's more about the discipline to stick with them and not give up after it kills you and laughs at you :D

Ah. now he tells me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Like Cuphead. Screaming at the screen the other day.

That's pretty much it. I think today's games environment means you have to put in a bit more effort into tough games. These were shorter games but also usually the only game you had for 6, maybe 12 months so you played the crap out of that one game. These days games are so cheap that you have so many options. Games are a hell of a lot easier now so you come to expect an easier ride (the ease is usually to necessitate the games length rather than a slight against them). It's too easy to bounce off a tough game after one go like Contra and go to a modern game that's a lot more forgiving.

• Advertisement

It was one of the things about the Uncharted/Last of Us/Batman/Gears of War titles of the last ten years.

Those games had no challenge at all, just one pretty environment after another, huge signposting and generous checkpoints, literal environmental handholding throughout.

Only the narrative saved most of them, and the disconnect in the likes of the Batman trilogy, between you and the action on screen, always felt jarring.

Certainly, I wouldn't have gotten 6 months of gameplay out of any of them, if I was relying on them for my gaming buzz, fair to say none of them would last six days, some not even six hours, before the campaign/story would run out of things to say and you'd be back on the main menu again.

I see them as different types of games and experiences. Imagine how annoying Uncharted or Halo would be if it was bitch slapping you back to 30 minutes if you died three times.

Then again you could play Halo on Legendary and have absolutely no fun at all.

Indeed, not sure I get the Robotron v Last of Us comparison there Cidey.....totally different type of game. The narrative & world are parts of the experience really.

And Robotron is infinitely better.

I'm not even going to say fight me because I'm right.

• Advertisement

Oh, I wasn't quite drawing a comparison between those particular generations of games.

In fact, the ones I mentioned have lots of peers that were far more of a challenge, say Bayonetta and Vanquish or Ico and Super Mario Galaxy, they had visual spectacle, as well as challenges for all players.

Ico perhaps, I still wouldn't compare the others directly. Subjectively, the story in certain types of games for me is a huge part of it...that's why I enjoyed the games in question. There's no doubt for pick up & play fun, the likes of Mario Galaxy etc is going to appeal more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think most new blockbuster games are like a prolonged movie experience. Not that its a bad thing of course. Just depends what your looking for. The original gears of war trilogy would probably be a long weekends worth of gaming now to someone who wanted to blast through them. Would definitely be a good time too, I'm a big fan of those games. Of course you can take longer at them and ramp up the difficulty to get more bang for your buck. But they are definitely a gaming cinematic experience

Then on the other hand you have the likes of Read Dead Redemption 2 or FFXV. Which you could potentially get 6 months, or longer, out of playing the crap out of it. Or even Mortal Kombat 11, I know some people who haven't stopped playing that since it came out with online play for it still being big.

Really thinking about it, its not a whole lot different to the PS1 which I grew up playing. I remember beating Soul Reaver on a rental weekend and really enjoying it. Also remember spending probably the best part of a year playing FF VIII. Not sure how well I've made my point, hopefully someone gets what I mean

Nobody should play red dead 2 for more than a few hours let alone weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

OG GTA VC on PS2 via OSSC on my LG OLED.

Acronyms much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭deadduck

Not a fan of RDR2? I don’t prefer it over RDR1, but it’s a very high quality game with tons of character. Some of the stuff it makes you do is a nuisance (like managing your stamina bar and rubbish like that), but there’s far more to like than dislike

Open Source Scan Converter. It's an external scaler, akin to the Retrotink etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I know the Switch's Online Expansion Pack was quite rightly lambasted upon its reveal, but I can't say I'm not having a whale of a time jumping between Mario 64, Contra Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes and SoR2. Mind you, the emulation on the N64 does seem to be a little bit on the laggy side.

• Advertisement

Yeah there's still significant input lag for their N64 emulation. It has been improved compared to the previous release, but still quite bad.

Master of the Universe

Thought I'd give myself an interesting evening challenge before going to sleep, trying to no death clear Sonic 1 on my Nomad.

Doesn't actually sound like the hardest thing to do and I know the game inside out so it should be possible. Little bit more difficult on the smaller screen.

Thought I had it in the bag last night, was breezing through the game without being touched, had all the Chaos Emeralds so far (I think it was 5?) - was beating Robotnik's ass at the end of Springyard Zone and fell down one of the gaps where he'd lifted a block. There were more than a few profanities out of me! :pac:

On a side point, my Nomad is actually outputting composite video and it's really interesting to see Sega's dithering effects in use, like the waterfalls in Greenhill Zone - I haven't actually seen that effect in years as I've been using RGB so long.

It's kind of an interesting mix actually, the screen is so small that it still looks sharp in composite, yet you get those extra effects - kind of the best of both worlds.

No death Sonic 1....interesting. Labyrinth 3 puts me off trying it.

Master of the Universe

Hah, yeah I think a bit of practice on that one would be needed, just to know you can get up the wall during the boss fight at the end without completely freaking out... !

I had to have known that back in the day....but for my last more recent playthrough, I was certainly no longer aware of it...died a LOT trying to defeat Robotnik on that stage. Once it dawned on me that all I had to focus on was the jumping/timing, and Robotnik didn't matter, I flew through it.

Been playing a lot of Warioland on the analogue Pocket.

Could never get into this game initially. The first stage or two just feel really ordinary. But glad I stuck with it because the game quickly becomes a hell of a lot better.

You could tell R&D1 were a little bit sick of copying EADs mario for the Gameboy and Warioland is their time to let loose with their own ideas. It feels like a mario game but plays totally differently, with its own set of rules. It's way more about collecting coins and exploring levels for secret stages (and a whole secret world) and treasures. It can get pretty inventive at times.

While the game never reaches the full on subversion of platform tropes that the sequels would it's a really inventive and fun platformer that I'm glad has finally clicked with me.

Man ninja gaiden on the game gear.

What a disappointment.

Ninja gaiden is much better known on the nes but the master system game is totally different and an absolute gem on the system. Seriously up there with one of the best 8 bit games.

So I've had ninja gaiden for the game gear for ages and tried it on the analogue pocket and it's a totally different game to the nes and master system game.

Its also kind of crap. It's like GG Shinobi except really bad.

Timesplitters 2. A few bits very dated obviously but still plays great for a 20 year old game. Easy mode is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Playing through the FDS version of Castlevania via MiSTer. I think I’ll buy a real copy of this as it’s great!

• Advertisement

Advertisement