Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just wrapped up Uncharted 4 there, which completes the main series for me. As a mostly light hearted linear narrative driven game, once again I enjoyed the hell out of it. Masterful technical prowess from Naughty Dog again, and all the individual elements combine to make a memorable adventure.

That just leaves The Lost Legacy and Golden Abyss on the vita for me for the Uncharted franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Uncharted 4 did nothing for me. So disappointed with it and golden abyss isn't that great now that it's no longer a tech marvel.

Wouldn't say the snes was better technically. It exceeded the megadrive in some areas. Way more colours, transparencies and mode 7. However the megadrive could push around way more sprites and handle complex games better with the beefier CPU. And while the snes had the sample based sound chip it sounded terrible when used wrong and had a very low bit rate. When used properly the megadrive sounded incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well the "SAAAAYGAAAAAA" at the start of Sonic was a gaming milestone.

Far better catalogue on the Snes for me. Megadrive wasn't even close. Link to the Past, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Mario World, Metroid, F Zero, Pilotwings, Starfox etc. The Nintendo/Rare partnership was great.

Pity they havent kept it up. The Switch is abysmal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can counter that with Phantasy Star 4, Soleil, Lunar 1 and 2, Gunstar Heroes, Soleil, Castle and World of Illusion, Quakshot, Monster World 4, Probotector, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ristar, Virtua Racing, Sonic games, Eliminate Down, Thunderforce 3 and 4, Popful Mail, Ecco, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3, Mercs, Streets of rage series, Toejam and Earl, Castlevania Bloodlines (better than Super CV 4, fight me), Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force series, Jungle and Desert Strike, Musha and Robo Aleste, Herzog Zwei, Dune 2, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Headdy, Marvel Land, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, Alisia Dragoon, Ranger X, Atomic Runner, Granada, Sub-Terrania, Gynoug, Story of Thor, Shadowrun, Langrisser, Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron, Ground Zero Texas, Soulstar.

Plenty there to sink your teeth into even though I think the SNES has the edge.

As for the comment on the Switch, I can't agree there. It's god the best library of exclusives and makes a mockery of the PS4 and 5 in that regard. An embarrassing amount of great exclusives and it's a brilliant indie machine.

Took you long enough with the Mega Drive list @Retr0gamer :)

Re the Switch, I've said it before but I'm not really into it. It's painfully underpowered given it has to cater to handheld gaming, & if its not sub-hd resolutions half the time, it's abysmal frame-rates the other times. Indeed the library is rich, but the hardware severely lets it down for those of us who remember the halcyon Nintendo 60fps days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Switch is a handheld console that docks to a TV in the same way the Sega Nomad has an AV out port. It's 100% a handheld and should be considered as such. Once you realise that you can be a lot more forgiving of it's capabilities.

Still by far my most played console of that generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭deadduck

The Uncharted series is great, basically Indiana Jones in game form. The only one I couldn't get into was the Vita one, just felt like there was too much going on for the limited controls and small screen. I wouldn't even bother trying it again, it didn't feel right at all.

but UC 1-4 + Lost Legacy are brilliant games

The thing is, the Nomad played the games EXACTLY how they were experienced on the full fat consoles of the time. Granted that's not actually possible with todays machines, but I find anything ported to the Switch extremely lacking compared to any other platform its available on. It can't even manage to run its own exclusives properly either, the likes of Link's Awakening bring the thing to its knees. Not all games are like this, but many are. It's either the hardware, or developers....very likely the hardware though, it's essentially a 7 year old tablet in disguise.

Master of the Universe

Stay away from big budget game ports, that's not what handhelds are for. I'd have similar comments about the PSP, a major dislike I had with it was the attempt at recreating the console feeling on a handheld. It just misses the mark every time.

As a handheld console it's fantastic. Play games that aren't The Witcher,The Outer Worlds or other things that require a dedicated GPU and you'll be grand.

Links Awakening does have framrate drops and it definitely feels like more of a software issue that anything. If The Switch can handle BOTW then it could definitely handle an isometric adventure game.

As you said, it's a 7 year old console now (hard to believe!) Definitely due some updated hardware.

Master of the Universe

Currently playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and absolutely loving it. Had a real hankering for another Metroidvania after playing through Metroid Dread.

Absolutely delighted with how similar it feels to Symphony of the Night, really reminded me how much I love that game. I do wish Bloodstained used sprite artwork rather than 3D (there's something off about the way Miriam's run animation looks in 3D) but it's still gorgeous to look at.

Think I might have another run through of SOTN once I'm done with this, haven't played it in a good 5-6 years!

• Advertisement

I'd recommend a high luck run. It's really fun and changes the game up and you end up with really rare drops you normally wouldn't see because your luck is so high and have to rely on criticals because your other stats are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Everyone giving good advice and a respectful meeting of opinions. Will try out some of these MD suggestions. Definitely missed out on a lot of those MD games as I moved over to SNES.

Also, just glad to see an active boardsie forum.

We barely survived, it was looking grim for a while. I really only use Boards for this forum now, such was the failure of the site migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sat down and played Football Manager on my Zx81 for about an hour today, almost got Northampton Town promoted to Division 3 and probably could have spent another couple of hours carrying on if life hadn't got in the way.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Those old football management games are incredibly addictive. Hours seemingly pass in an instant. I loved Championship Manager 99/00 & Football Manager 2007. I could even play them on GNU/Linux via Wine. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Modern football management is too much of a chore, too much like work for me! Plenty enough in the classics imo.

There's even too much management in FIFA these days for my liking, give me the megadrive FIFA where you can spend your time running away from the ref. Actual fun.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

They added on too much fluff & bloat in the management sims.

I love the 8-bit & 16-bit era or gaming.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just had a read of that IGN article there, meh. IGN reviews for me are like the RTE guide film reviews. I don't read them but every time I happen to see one it's always shite

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Definitely no fluff or bloat in Football Director on the C64. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah it was played an awful lot in my house by the brother - it had something about it that made it very addictive (if footy management sims are your thing ofc). Similar to Championship Manager did/does years later I guess.

I got hooked on Premier Manager for the Megadrive back in the day. It was a bastard though for ripping you off....you'd be 3-0 up with 3 game mins to go (3 seconds) ....then suddenly "raaah" "raaah" "raaah" in 3 seconds it'd be 3-3. So I started saving the game after every win, loading after a loss, and won the premier league...at the cost of completely breaking the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Nomad is a great device, but I think the Turbo Express/ PC Engine GT does it even better!

Only kidding, they are both great, but the TG16 portable system is an absolute wonder and was one of those devices I thought I would never own, but now do.

It helps that much of the output on the system are excellent arcade ports and are very suited to the pick-up and play style that handhelds are good for.

Yes, it eats batteries, and it needs a cap-kit done, and the screen is very old and could be updated, but it is still something special to slot a TG16 game into it and watch it spring to life.

Master of the Universe

Spent a good bit of time last night playing Darius Extra Version for the Megadrive.

It's really a shmup game done right from an options/menu point of view.

For one, there's a score save feature. which is something I wish every shmup had. The menu has loads of different game versions, from the original game to 'extra version', time attacks, boss rushes etc - that coupled with the score saving and there's absolutely loads to keep you going.

While I was mucking about with my MD, I decided to connect my Mega CD 2 back up again. Haven't powered it on in a good 5-6 years and can happily say it's still going strong.

Sadly my PCE seems to be on the fritz, just booting to a white screen. I am hoping it's just the Everdrive but have a feeling there might be more to it...

Beat Operation C. It's a great little Contra game for the Gameboy. It's a little simpler than super C and a bit shorter but I had a lot of fun with it.

Master of the Universe

That's a really great game, I was playing it not too long ago on the Switch Contra Anniversary collection having never gone near it before. Really wish I'd had it back in the day, would have absolutely loved it.

I think I prefer it to Super C. It might be shorter but all 5 levels are great whereas the overhead levels in Super C aren't that good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm too lousy a games player to have enjoyed any of the Contra/Probotector games, they mock me every time I give them a try, driving me back into the arms of a Picross game, they always accept me for who I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭deadduck

I’ll have to check if GBSP on psp can load regular game boy games. Have been using it again lately to give Metroid Fusion a go. I read reports of it having trouble playing some gba games correctly, but I’ve had no hassle, seems to do a great job. The psp is a brilliant little emulation machine

Post edited by deadduck on

• Advertisement

Well Operation C is a lot easier than standard contra.

I actually don't find contra games that hard. Contra and Super C just need an afternoon or two of dedication. Contra 3 is fine once you can deal with the missile boss. Hard mode is a different story.

Hard Corp and Shattered Soldier are pure evil.

If you want an easy contra then try Neo Contra on PS2. It's very manageable and a fantastic 2 player game as well.

Advertisement