Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion and Engaging with the Teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's amazing is the bitterness and hatred and "look at me look at me. I'm special. Why is nobody creating a bespoke system exactly for me" attitude.

There is no point coming on here and whinging and then letting slip that your own area was in need for school places so much that existing schools were extended. If you had been on the ball and had your homework done and your support gathered and presented a viable alternative, then it is likely that you would have gotten another type of school built.

That'd take a bit of effort though, right? Much handier to let the others put in the effort and try to swoop in at the last minute and see if you can moan enough for it to be taken off them and given to you

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Likely"

You have no idea.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

If someone else wants to send their family to the local Catholic school (if there is one)

They make up 90% of primary schools. You are taking the mick.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There is no fundamental law of nature that there has to be a Catholic school closest to every person in the country. If there is one close to you, it there due to demand and the efforts of people in the past. But there could also be another denomination, or none, most convenient for you. If a parent is a Catholic and they live right beside an Educate Together, they aren't entitled to force that Educate Together to change to Catholic Ethos just because the nearest Catholic denomination school is a couple of miles down the road.

You had your chance. You've said that schools (plural) in your area were extended to satisfy local demands. Those schools obviously had competent boards of management and put forward well formed and realistic plans to the Department.

If you were really arsed about it, you could have done the same. Actions speak louder than words. Given all that, if you actually want to effect some change, why don't you learn from your mistake and start now and get yourself a committee of like-minded individuals and be ready the next time new capacity is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Given that every church school is leeching off the State, your advice here is misdirected.

• Advertisement

Well stop leeching off those who you claim are leeching off the state so.

Go out and set up your own organisation/school and forget all your bitterness rather than taking what the church schools give to you for free.

Why would I be leeching off a publicly funded body? They're funded by the State, not by the Church.

Well you are all over the place here. Either you and your family went to non-denominational schools (in which case you have absolutely no right to try to prevent others from having the option to attend denominational schools) or you did in fact attend denominational schools and leech off their efforts and facilities.

How could I have been on the board of management of a school when my children were not yet of schoolgoing age?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Parents pay taxes, taxes pay for schools. Parents are not "leeching" off schools by enrolling their children, that is a totally stupid thing to say.

However churches are leeching off the taxpayers by using teachers, whose salaries are paid for via the state by taxes, to indoctrinate children.

• Advertisement

Given that you appear to post so much on the topic, your ignorance on that matter is actually quite funny. You don't have to have a child in the school in order to be on a Board of Management.

Nor do you have to already have a child attending a school in order to set up a group or committee to set up that school as a brand new school. That would be a bit impossible. Unless you have come up with a way to break the laws of physics and defy causality.

You should take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself 🤣

Fairly twisted logic there. It tends to be a common trait that scroungers tend to justify that scrounging. The parish which supplies the premises and additional funding to attempt to educate your child is leeching by allowing the state to pay teachers to teach your child there 😂

It's a pity you don't do less of the moaning and be a bit more positive and do a similar "leeching" by fundraising and buying premises and setting up and running schools with government salaried teachers. Like the Educated Together leeches do.

I guess your lack of anything positive, coupled with your perpetual moaning, and taking advantage of those facilities all the while bitching about those who provide them to you for free, is simply a manifestation of your unwillingness to become a leech.

How exactly is anything that I've said preventing others from attending denominational schools?

Churches have been leeching off the State for decades, taking State funding for teachers in their restrictive denominational schools.

And you might want to move on from your binary thinking there. There are loads of other possibilities beyond the two that you mention.

Simple. You don't want denomination schools to exist. If they don't exist then people can't attend them.

Churches provide facilities for department paid schoolteachers to teach. And they organise and run the schools. And they also fundraise to build schools and provide other facilities (I know my local parish here paid over 100k for some property adjoining a local national school recently so that they could extend the playing area for the kids)

If you accept their generosity, the least that you can do is acknowledge it. Instead, what you are doing is, taking advantage of those organisations, but then turning around and bitching about them. It is unlikely that you will be "giving back" to them either (Or maybe you contribute to your local parish collections???). So you are using those facilities which others are paying for, yet you are contributing nothing. I think that that would come under a reasonable definition of leeching.

You accuse the churches of leeching because government employees (teachers) get paid? That makes no sense. Do you not know how jobs work? If you are a teacher, you get paid directly to your account. They don't send the salaries to the churches and let the churches decide if the teacher should get anything. Teachers aren't employed by churches. How much "profit" do you think a denomination school makes per kid? Because the Educate Together schools that I know of don't seem to be able to balance the books without additional fundraising.Do you think that maybe:

1) They give less to ET schools?

2) The ET schools aren't run as efficiently? Perhaps some incompetence leading them to losing money?

3) The ET patrons are siphoning off money into their own pockets?

The real answer is that schools are not funded enough to allow them to do what they would like to do. Which is why all schools fundraise. Now if organisation X is running a school and they aren't been given enough to do it, how do you conclude that they are making money on it?

There is no binary thinking here. If you want to go to school with Ethos X or none, then you can. You may have to go to the next village or town over, or you might have to move to a bigger town/city where there is more choice. All possible if you really want to do it. If you could be arsed to make an effort. Or get together with like minded individuals and set up one within walking distance of yourself.

Where exactly did I say that I didn't want denominational schools to exist? I've no problem with denominational schools existing, provided they pay their way and stop leeching off the State. People can do whatever they like with their schooling, but the State shouldn't be on the hook for the bill for denominational schooling. If people want it enough, surely they'll be happy to pay their way.

So many errors and confusion in your post btw. Churches don't 'organise and run' denominational schools. All schools are organised and run by the school principal, paid by the State. The patron may appoint one or two members of the board of management, that's it - the rest of the BoM comes from the community - the community reps, the parent reps, the teacher rep, not from the Church. So there is no basis for your claim that the Church organises and runs these schools.

And there's no basis for your claim that because the Church did some fundraising from the community, then suddenly people in that community are 'leeches' for using that facility? Is this official Church or school policy now? Maybe they put this on the websites now as their public position? If there are conditions on such donations, let's see the conditions in public instead of hiding behind the net curtains, begrudging others. Christian charity, how are ya.

Your binary thinking btw was in your either/or conclusion; " Either you and your family went to non-denominational schools (in which case you have absolutely no right to try to prevent others from having the option to attend denominational schools) or you did in fact attend denominational schools and leech off their efforts and facilities.". You've missed many other possibilities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

It's usually not helpful to feed trolls, they're either trying to get a rise or not very clued into how the system they try to perpetuate actually arose, so letting them bawl themselves hoarse in their little echo chamber is a good rule of thumb.

Ah man. The mental gymnastics there would get you an Olympic gold 🤣

For someone who seems to engaged in this, your knowledge is astoundingly low. Maybe not as bad as the poster above who thinks that only parents of children in a school can be on the Board of Management but it's still not great.

You should educate yourself a bit more on the topic before engaging much further. Perhaps you and the other poster could "educate together"?

Let's be specific now. What exactly did I get wrong there?

The "parish" provides literally nothing.

It doesn't matter what group or committee you set up, the Department of Education makes decisions to suit itself and the churches it is in thrall to, and is accountable to no-one.

Just why is it that posters like DT feel so threatened by the idea that non-catholic parents should be able to access non-catholic schools?

The fact that 90% of primary schools are still of catholic ethos makes the aggression and paranoia even more ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Ah go on. more "facts" like the fact that you were prevented from being on a BOM because you didn't have a child in the school 🤣

You can access all you like. There are plenty of options for you. Given the evidence of the absence of the most basic of facts in your other posts, then perhaps I might suggest a thing called "google" which will help you find them

Whatever there is demand for, let people choose and let them build it. Catholic, Protestant. Muslim, Jewish, French, Polish, Non-religious. If what you like isn't there, you are free to create your own and the same supports are there for you as for anyone else. To get back to the topic of the thread, if you deliberately decide to go to a school with a Muslim ethos for example, then don't be surprised when you find out that it has a Muslim ethos. If people want to set one up in your area, then I'd say good for them. Maybe you hate Muslims or maybe you hate Jewish people and don't want them to have schools where they can keep their traditional cultural community values. That's up to you. I certainly don't. I'd say more power to them. Same to athiests if they want to quit the whinging and actually do something positive for a change. Give them the same support as everyone else.

Unfortunately though for yourself and similar minded posters, your bigoted and discriminatory desires are prevented from being effected by the Constitution. Freedom of religion (or none) is guaranteed and the right to an education is also guaranteed. Despite your overtly and proudly displayed intolerance, the State must apply the same rules to Religious and non-religious schools. And regardless of how special you (think you) are, there isn't a prevision in the Constitution that only choices deemed worthy by HotBlack Desiato (or AndrewJRenko) can be supported.

Live and let live and don't be threatened just because others are happy and you are bitter.

The irony of "live and let live " from those who have imposed their own personal beliefs systems on others for generations, and continue to do so today.

Actions speak louder than words. If 90% of parents are choosing to send their children to religious schools then that is their choice and it is not your right to deprive them of that choice.

I mean you are all over the place. You're moaning about (mainly Catholic) schools but then you turn around and claim:

Churches don't 'organise and run' denominational schools. All schools are organised and run by the school principal, paid by the State.

That's kind of funny to be able to hold such dichotomous views at the same time. Cognitive dissonance. You're whining about denominational schools but then saying that they don't run the schools. So too many schools are being run by the churches, but the churches don't run them...........ok..........

Would you support a school with a Jewish ethos being built in your area? How about one with a Muslim ethos? (Hypothetically, assuming there is enough demand for them. When I say enough demand, I don't mean that you personally want it. Other people's preference also count too!). Would you be against them getting state funded teachers?

The real DT would undoubtedly be proud of your tactic - giving parents no effective choice of non-denominational schools by ensuring that 90% of schools are religious - and then using the fact that parents actually send their kids to those schools, because they are left with no place in one of the very few ET schools, very likely outside their cachement area, as evidence of their commitment to religious education?

Absolutely twisted, but typical tactic of those who just want to keep control, those who want to be able to tell others what to wear and what to do in their relationships, and even when to have kids and when to not have pets, bizarrely.

For someone who pretended to know all about school governance and BOMs, you seem to be remarkably confused about how things work, so here's a little primer.

1) 90% of schools in Ireland are religious - the Patron of the school is the local Catholic bishop for the vast majority of these.

2) These schools are managed by principals who are paid by the State. The BOM is drawn largely from the local community (local reps, parent reps, teacher rep).

3) The BOM has no control over school ethos. That is set by the Patron.

It's not that complicated really.

Don't suppose there's any change that your 'Live and Let Live' ethos would be applied to those non-religious families who find themselves in religious schools because of the negligible levels of choice available. How about these kids not having to sit through religion classes, and not having to participate in religious Christmas plays, and not having to sit through 'Is there ANYTHING to be said for a another school Mass' to mark the start/end/middle/day with Y in the name of the school term? Live and Let Live my ass.

Who ever said the BOM sets ethos? The BOM thing started because another poster randomly interjected that they can't join the BOM because the poster didn't have a child at the school. Which was in response to me pointing out that it is open to anyone to set up a new school if they get enough support. I never suggested to them that they could join a BOM to change the ethos of an existing school. I think I was quite clear that, even though some of ye appear to want to swoop in a seize others work, that you cannot do that.

If you can't be arsed to either bring your kids to a different school a little further away, or "putting your money where your mouth is" and setting up one locally, then don't disguise that lazyness as some kind of dystopian injustice forced upon you at gunpoint. Make your own choices based on your own preferences. Live and let live. If you decide that you can't be arsed enough to remember your principles when reality bites, then that is your choice.

Do you not realise that people can choose to go to a certain school based on other things rather than a commitment to the religion of its ethos? I actually had a few friends in college from Catholic families who went to (shock horror) Protestant boarding schools. 😲😲😲 Amazingly, it didn't turn any of them into Ian Paisley replacements. I had a few Protestant friends who went to Catholic schools as well. It didn't turn them into Pope worshipers.

You're the one here who wants discriminatory and oppressive measures against a certain grouping in society. And you avoided my question about the hypothetical Jewish or Muslim school in your area. If it was me, and they had the numbers and the support, then I'd say fair play to them and I'd expect the State to fund them equally and fairly. If you have a particular hatred or Jewish people, or Muslim people (or both) and their traditions and cultures then that is on you.

Anyway, we still don't know whether these schools you have issues with are run by churches or by the lay Principals, under the pay of the State. It's like the Schrodingers cat of education 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Options for the OP - Homeschool, non-denominational, or pick a religion and pray it does not stick! 😀

Seriously though - years ago when I was in Primary there were kids there of Indian parentage (two different familes). They were exempt from religion. One girl said she was given the choice to pick a religion by her parents when she was older - that was around 5th/6th class.

But it was back in the days where nondenominational and homeschool were not an option.

Personally I am not a church goer nor do I believe in God. But the OP should relise the advantages of a Catholic education. All very holistic these days. Also fundamentally the Catholic relgion is simply like the boards.ie rule 1 - don't be a dick - be nice. So it is not the worst thing in the world to have a child taught in such a manner. Even if in later life they might lapse or not care about the religion anymore.

Also I have often looked at people who are extremely religious, particularly those with a quiet manner about it. Non pushy. In times of crises such people can use their religion as a safety net. Or safety valve. It gives them solace in times of severe stress and sadness. That others do not have. Top of my head people like Micky Harte (former Tyrone GAA manager) and Barry McGuigan (former boxer). Have both had great suffering in their lives but religion and their faith has got them through it.

It has made them very stoic as individuals.

So there is practical benefits of the OP's child been educated in a religion - even if the OP does not believe in it themselves.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No . There aren't "plenty of options".

No point in reading beyond the first line of that garbage.

Love the Irish attitude to public education. If you don’t like it - feck off and set up your own school.

Imagine if that applied to any other public service. You wouldn’t mind just setting up your own Garda Station, Library, NCT centre…etc

Welcome to Ireland - We’re not sectarian. It’s just well, ya know… traditional.

• Advertisement

The liars and deniers won't acknowledge the fact that it's NOT open to anyone to set up a school - well, not unless they're a multi-millionaire. Dept of Education approval and funding is essential for everyone else, and they are VERY reluctant to approve a non-religious school. They will literally exhaust every other possible option. Dept of Education is stuffed full of religious conservatives pursuiing their own agenda, ask anyone involved in the ET or other non-religious school movements.

"90% of schools in Ireland are religious" - it's actually worse than that, Renko. 90% are catholic, about half of the rest are Church of Ireland, ETs and minority religions make up the rest.

What exactly are the "advantages" of a catholic education? A free guilt trip? Why are we allowing a child raping church to control schools they don't even pay for?

Advertisement