Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So why's he not trying to ban actual cigarettes?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I do think Ireland has a drink problem but I don't think raising the cost will fix it.

I think it's time to accept that Ireland is a very expensive country to live in now and very difficult to afford for a lot of people.

The cost of putting fuel in the car + tax, the cost of home rent/ownership, getting taxed heavy on wages, the cost of living and now the cost to enjoy yourself ! Where does it end ? It's at the stage where its not an enjoyable place to live, which is already difficult with the state of the country, the scum all over Dublin and other places.

People used to say about cost of living in other countries being high etc but Ireland is now one of the higher countries in Europe and possibly the world too now.

I can't see Ireland been a desirable place to visit or live anymore and all things combined effecting tourism too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the TV licence, like what the actual ! I've mentioned this to people in other countries other than the UK and they just can't understand it, they thought I was joking !

Post edited by Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Ask your GP if you need further advice. What kind of compromising would you expect in a medical study?

Have you ever tried to get HSE support for a mental health issue? Hospitalisation should be an absolute last resort. Try to get access to a basic service like counselling from the HSE and come back and tell us how easy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You seem quite certain that I haven't ?

Not saying it doesn't need more but the poster above saying it's all left to charity and private buildings is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,588 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just on your edit, which countries do you mean? A lot of other countries have TV licences. Ours has been the same price for 14 years now.

I decided to google that, and the first result says that those who vape are more likely to become smokers than those who don't vape. You can probably find research to disprove that, but you shouldn't just rely on the ideas in your own head.

Young people who had ever used e-cigarettes had seven times higher odds of becoming smokers one year later compared with those who had never vaped, according to a new Truth Initiative study.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

votes? Not sure it would be popular right now. But I would say it is only a matter of time, look at what new Zealand are doing other countries might follow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The cigarette companies themselves can see how things are going and are shifting money to other ventures. Without the astronomical money they spend on advertising and lobbying cigarettes will just continue to decline to the point where it will be politically advantageous to back banning them

Knowing what we know now about tobacco, no government would legalise it if it was a new drug just discovered. And governments worldwide are fighting to reduce the harms done by tobacco. Someone who never smoked will gain nothing from starting. BBC report below.

At the moment, 13% of New Zealand's adults smoke, with the rate much higher among the indigenous Maori population, where it soars to almost a third. Maori also suffer a higher rate of disease and death.

New Zealand's health ministry says smoking causes one in four cancers and remains the leading cause of preventable death for its five million strong population. The industry has been the target of legislators for more than a decade now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's accurate to say that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption, but what often gets left out of the discussion is that the risk is very low for those drinking a moderate amount. This link discusses a paper in the lancet looking at alcohol risk: The risks of alcohol (again). A recent paper published by the Lancet… | by David Spiegelhalter | WintonCentre | Medium

From the article:

Specifically, comparing no drinks with one drink a day the risk of developing one of the 23 alcohol-related health problems was 0.5% higher — meaning 914 in 100,000 15–95 year olds would develop a condition in one year if they did not drink, but 918 people in 100,000 who drank one alcoholic drink a day would develop an alcohol-related health problem in a year.

This increased to 7% in people who drank two drinks a day (for one year, 977 people in 100,000 who drank two alcoholic drinks a day would develop an alcohol-related health problem) and 37% in people who drank five drinks every day (for one year, 1252 people in 100,000 who drank five alcoholic drinks a day would develop an alcohol-related health problem)...

...look at 2 drinks a day, that’s 20g, or 2.5 units, slightly above the current UK guidelines of 14 units a week for both men and women. In this case, compared to non-drinkers an extra 63 (977–914) in 100,000 people experience a health problem each year. That means, to experience one extra problem, 1,600 people need to drink 20g alcohol a day for a year, in which case we would expect 16 instead of 15 problems between them. That’s 7.3 kg a year each, equivalent to around 32 bottles of gin per person. So a total of 50,000 bottles of gin among these 1,600 people is associated with one extra health problem. Which still indicates a very low level of harm in drinkers drinking just more than the UK guidelines.

Units are UK units to be fair, which are smaller than ours. There's also a bit discussing the effect of one drink per day, but I left it out as it's even lower risk than two per day, which itself is negligible. The jump between two drinks and 5 drinks per day is substantial, but 5 drinks per day is 35 per week. A 700 bottle of whiskey is around 28 units - I don't think anyone reasonable would consider more than a bottle of whiskey a week light or moderate drinking.

When I drink it's usually around 10-20 UK units per week spread over a few days. I think I'll take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Pain in the hole this

Left the food out of the shopping basket

I have 6 or 8 months of slabs boxes put away ... after that i'll see about getting into homebrewing. I will probably end up drinking more and spending less, so nice try govt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For the cheapest beers the price has more than doubled. Economists favour a 2% rate of inflation which would give a doubling time of 35 years. CPI has only doubled since the late 1980's and interest rates have slowed down a lot since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I know a couple chronic alcoholics that will be hit disproportionately be this. Personally I think it's a really cruel thing to do, to those in that vulnerable situation, because that's not really the sort of "encouragement" that will help them. It's really kicking the most vulnerable when they're down sort of thing, but that's easily forgotten when hidden behind statistics. Any other heavy drinkers I know mostly drink in pubs, or are professionals that will absorb the additional costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's science but it's not proper medical advice.

Any normal person with a healthy lifestyle and diet presenting to a GP and reporting that they drink within the guidelines issued by the HSE will be told that is ok but not to overdo it or words to that effect.

This is because GPs understand that the scare tactic of telling people that any alcohol is bad for you just won't work.

The majority of them drink themselves, I know mine regularly "binge drinks" ie. has three pints on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭HBC08

Some drinkers won't be affected. So not 80%. I think punished is the wrong word.

Really? What drinkers won't be affected?

Those who only drink in pubs? I knew one or two who purported to do this........before the pandemic, now I know none.

People who only drink on holidays abroad?

People who have a strict rule they only have a can once they cross the border?

I'd be interested to hear what % of drinkers you think won't be affected by this blunt,punitive,ill thought out nonsense?

What would you call it when a state pensioner who treats himself to a can of beer a night is faced with losing the €5 euro pension increase due to MUP?

Sounds a bit like punishment to me.

• Advertisement

People who buy bottles of wine from about €9 up.

That's a fairly specific cohort.Why is everybody else being penalised?

Also,I'd suggest you don't know how markets work if you think that a bottle of wine which was €9 last week will not go up as an indirect relation to MUP.

The bottle of wine I bought in Dunnes on the 20% discount offer for €5.48 before Christmas is now €9.75.

Sure what's €4?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

When you raise the floor everything rises in step with it. A €9 wine will be €11 or €12 now.

What do you mean by fairly specific? Blame the shop for putting up the price. Nobody is forcing them.

Lots of GPs smoke, fail to exercise, fail to manage mental health, but that generally doesn't stop them from giving good advice.

The risk of low levels of drinking is indeed low, but it is not zero, and people should really know what risks they are taking on, such as emerging evidence around 20% increase in risk of bowel cancer with low levels of drinking.

https://www2.hse.ie/healthy-you/alcohol-blogs/alcohol-putting-europeans-at-risk-of-digestive-cancers.html

Ah seriously?

That's fairly basic economics and was flagged here many times down the years.Youre also supporting my claim that you don't understand how a market works.I won't be blaming the shop,I'll be blaming MUP,because that is the cause.

Im beginning to think you can't grasp some rudimentary concepts or might even be trolling at this stage.

If so,well done,you got me.

Blame the shop. MUP is not forcing them to increase prices not covered by MUP.

• Advertisement

It's fairly clear that he is having his pension increase taken away by MUP because he likes to have a can of beer per night.

What part of "MUP legislation is taking back his fiver" do you not understand?

Advertisement