Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The outrage has been strong all along. Take a look at Post #1 from over five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Between me and the misses we be at around 36 x 330 ml cans between us per week. Or bottles. Whatever.

So in ireland thats 2.50 a can

90euro weekly x52 =4680 per year.

In the north its around 1.16 a can

42euro weekly ×52 = 2184

So my estimstes are actually wrong. We are proably saving 2100 or 2200.

I drink probably 22 of those cans and the misses 14.

Im at 12.7 pints for the week and shes at 6.9 pints. That would be a thursday friday and saturday night. Perfectly healthy if you ask me.

Its only when you actually do that math on paper its glaring how we are getting screwed as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This thread started in November 2016 more than five years ago.

We are continuing a discussion about something we are interested in.

It's not affecting everyone here and some support MUP.

One thing is certain it's affecting almost everyone who enjoys a drink at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Seems fairly pointless getting irate about it now.

Might be too late to prevent it from being introduced, but is possible to get it reversed. If a case is brought to Europe for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

On this thread maybe. But not among the general population it would seem. I only knew about it from here. I've never heard anything about it on TV or radio until it happened.

• Advertisement

The continent is laughing at us. They really are. We will go the way of the like of sweded soon. Minimum 9 euro pints and state run off licenses. No joy in this place anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd hope so but we generally aren't that kind of nation when it comes to the activism probably required to make that happen. Was only really the water charges I can remember and that was brought about by the people and some extreme political opposition. We don't have the latter in this case.

The general population didn't get to understand what MUP would mean.

They were fed lies about problem drinkers, under age drinkers, strong alcohol only being affected etc.

Now when they go into a supermarket and see the ordinary drinks that they for the most part consume moderately are affected they realise that they have been hoodwinked.

The truth is out MUP is a fraud.

Doesnt matter. The north have gained potentially 2 million new customers. They'd be fools no to try and entice shoppers over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am sorry to be honest...but that is not perfectly healthy far from it..

12 pints/22 cans in the space of three days every week?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some people I know refused to believe it could happen even until a week ago - free market, entitled to sell at what price you want, no law could override that, EU wouldn't allow it etc. Point blanked wouldn't accept that the law to do it had already been passed months ago.

Others were in the 'it doesn't apply to me' gang - wouldn't drink any of that cheap stuff, never buy a wine less than €10 etc. Ignoring that AAI will be coming for them from another angle somewhere down the line.

Others just saw it as a tax, not really understanding how it wasn't a tax at all.

General apathy I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Juran

As previous posters have said, I also find it shocking and even frightening how our government with support from all parties pushed through MUP.

Yes, it will cost more to buy wine/beers, but I think its the principle of what has been done to us is more painful and madening. I walked through the drinks section tonight in Dunnes to look at the prices of some crafts beers we sometimes buy, all under 5%, they were up from 40 cent to 62 cent, and sign said they were on offer at that (they were already over €2, so there was no need for them to increase). Honestly, I felt angry at the whole thing.

I think Covid news is shadowing MUP implementation. Apart from this forum, I havent seen any discussion elesewhere.

I will be emailing the TD's I voted for to let them know my feelings. I know it makes no difference, but its important that people have voices, since it was taken away from us during the voting in of this bill.

Good to know the EU will do sweet feck all to help country member consumer and their rights.

I don't know what brand you are paying €2.50 a can for, but 12 x 330 ml Heineken bottles are in Tesco for €17, under €1.50 per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lol so have we figured out pubs with off licences are basically exempt? Pubs with online sales also exempt. Musgraves also exempt.

This is and always was an attack by pubs on shops (lidl/aldi/tesco/supervalu). These are the same pubs crying the last 2 years about being closed, the same pubs who make millions per year, sorry calling them pubs is not fair. Investment groups is a better version.....

I am sure there some standalone pubs who contributed to this farce.

Simple solution for the stores is to buy one pub licence and then advertise their beer sales tru that.

By exempt I mean they can bypass it via the wording in the law.

has anyone been affected by MUP because I certainly havent!

And you could get 20 of the same bottles for €17 most of last year that's 85cent per bottle.

(and even less in some places)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What's stopping the government from introducing MUP for other things like meat...coal...diesel or anything else they consider verboten.

This is as overreacting and draconian as anything they've done during the pandemic. And by god they've done a lot of dodgy things in the past two years.

We're either part of the single market or we're not. I mean at this stage when we're being raped on everything from fuel prices to basic human comforts literally in the middle of a pandemic it just goes to show how much the government care about you. Not one fûcking jot. Just punish punish punish with no light in sight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

?

Pubs aren't exempt. They just pretty much always sell for more than MUP, even in their off-licences. Wetherspoons may have had a few minor price increases.

Anyway, but irrelevantly, Dunnes have multiple pub licences (three in Dublin alone) as it happens. Crumlin, Blackrock and Cornelscourt II use the full pub licences of pubs that were formerly on-site for their off-sales. Every other supermarket chain has bought tens of pub licences over the years to convert to off-licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You see this is kinda typical of the anti MUP post here.

Why on earth would the government inact legislation just to ruin the enjoyment of ordinary working people?

Thing about that.

This topic seems to have touched a nerve, and I think it's all to do with not admitting that we as a nation have a problem with alcohol.

People are angry because they cannot admit that we have a problem and that this is a attempt by government to address that issue.

There was similar pushback on this thread if I recall two years ago when the new advertising rules came into place.

People were getting very angry about them.

Why would you be angry about drinks advertising being curtailed.

There was one about the artwork on a Macroom wall of a cat and a pint of stout.

The pint had to go because it was too close to a school.

But people here were up in arms, calling it something The Taliban would do.

In the end of the day the artwork looked better without the pint, it was completely out of place in that image.

But people were angry about it.

Another one was warning labels on bottles .

Why were people against it ?

What was so offensive about a warning label on a bottle ?

I think it's all because we don't want to admit that we have a problem with drink in this country and anything that is done to try and address it is meet with anger because we don't need it, we are fine, the government should have better things to be doing.

I said before on this thread that I pushed back on the American stereotype of the drunken Irish man when I lived in the US. Telling people we were not really like that.

But when I returned home I saw that the stereotype was much closer to the truth than I had thought.

I did a calculation before and allowing for differences in alcohol unit size between the UK and Ireland and Exchange rates the MUP in Ireland was 35% more expensive than the Scottish one.

Would have been more reasonable at a rate of 80c per unit instead of 1 euro

But of course they over-egged it here just to make sure to fcuk everyone up the ass so that they would really feel royally rogered.

When you look at the impact on a household only drinking 2 x 500ml beers total per day on average it's €500 to €625 a year extra depending on beer ABV (that's moderate strength beer 4 to 5%).

That's crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,698 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can't just compare the price between 2 countries like that. My experience of the UK was that everything was cheaper but also people had less money in their pockets. In the end someone on low or average wages ended up about the same there as here once the bills were paid and the week ended

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What are you talking about - where in the act does it say anything of the kind

Its all to do with vintners. Powerful lobby groups always carry sway. We should be taxing the gambling industry off the face of the earth but we dont. Why? Horse racing ireland. Horse racing wouldnt exist without gambling.

Im against mup because of the way it is being imposed on us.

Dont forget vrt. Another dodgy and questionable tax backed by motor group lobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Average wage is a bit more in Ireland but it's also a damn lot more expensive to live in Ireland than in Scotland

The only partial saving grace is the price is locked in for 3 years so maybe inflation will catch up with it at the current rate

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

And they have pushed on with this, in a January, during a pandemic in which life is already hard enough. Disgustingly incompetent, illogical, incoherent imbeciles we have running the country.

As a side note whatever puppet AAI had on Prime Time tonight should hang his head in shame. They featured a great intro with a recovered alcoholic who basically ripped it to shreds and said it’s a ridiculous idea. The presenter then spoke to him like a make a wish child for 2 mins while he held his ground. Cut to AAI man who says the man is framing it too much against addiction - the end goal is to “make alcohol sales drop by 20%” and “reduce the amount people will buy when they shop for drink”….

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I sure as **** didn’t see alcohol action Ireland on the ballot in the last election, i sure as **** didn’t vote or get to give my consensus as a citizen on a public health topic as sensitive as alcohol and addiction to it and you can sure as **** guarantee that no meaningful input, discourse or research went in to this and the knock ons involved.

AAI are justifying their funding by taking the frontline to defend MUP.

Same guy has been putting out a string of tweets.

They will be sound for the next tranche of our taxes paid to them by the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I sure as **** didn’t see alcohol action Ireland on the ballot in the last election, i sure as **** didn’t vote or get to give my consensus as a citizen on a public health topic as sensitive as alcohol and addiction to it and you can sure as **** guarantee that no meaningful input, discourse or research went in to this and the knock ons involved.

I have mentioned before, that I will be asking politicians why are AAI the only charity getting funded by the government, and why so much.

They should have their funding cut off (regardless of MUP) and earn like other charities. They seem utterly clueless as to how to combat any issues other than to copy that guy over there. I do not want to be paying for that or any charity I haven't chosen to donate to myself.

It may be your example. But why are you using it as an example in your maths, when you are not drinking it. Do your maths again. Your preferred drink can be got in Tesco for under €1.50. This is what you said in the thread earlier:

In my opiniin Brewdog isnt nice. I prefer a can of heineken or bottle of corona. Its down to personal tatse. I cant stand most of the craft beers.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry. I was talking about the 440ml brewdog lager. I like the 330ml ipa which i will probably drink from now on. Apologies for not clarifying.

Advertisement