Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best apprenticeship to do

• 06-01-2022 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi lads,

Just wondering what do people think is the best trade to do along with being a farmer?

Office job not for me want to do something with my hands. Love farming but could do with something else to generate more income.

Thinking along the lines of electrian, carpenter, brick layer plasterer ect

Thanks any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Agri mechanics are hard got at moment, although some say not treated the best by main dealers ( dont know if thats true)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I don't think you'll go wrong with any trade lad, but I'd say electrician opens the most doors and opportunities and clean tidy work

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Dry stone wall repair / building ?

Plenty of them falling down around farms and public areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

Was talking to a local Carpenter today, he said he has to keep his phone turned off most of the time because he hasn’t time to answer all the calls looking for him to do jobs. He has turned down roofing several new houses lately because he can’t get anyone to help him. He could name his price to work in Dublin but has had his fill of that crack. All the young lads want to be electricians now he reckons, seems to be plenty of them about.

He said it’s impossible to get anyone to build blocks now, easier ways of making money i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

If I was going back I'd be looking at an electrical or instrumentation apprentice.And get a nice handy job in a pharma factory or the like.

Have yet to meet a brickie or plasterer in his 50s who's body isn't partially wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say all of them judging by any farmer I know. If you're creative and a lateral thinker I'd go with carpentry or mechanic... assuming modern mechanic apprenticeship training will include electrics as well as traditional ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Lift Engineer

Hair stylist. Saloon at home... great gossip, fantastic magazines and you'll be the best dressed farmer. Those shoes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Who2

It doesn’t matter what trade you do at the moment there’s that many opportunities in construction but surely you have some leanings in one way or another towards one over the other. If you are going self employed, carpentry is probably one of the dearest to get into tools wise, electrical seems to have the most young lads entering it. Block laying or plastering are probably the cheapest in and you can make decent coin . Whatever you pick think of the weather, your back and whether you want to be on sites or in drinking tea with an 80 year old while your fixing a leaky cistern. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I always thought mechanic was one of the worse trades - pay is poor enough, and it’s cold, uncomfortable work…

I think any of the trades would be a good option.

I’d say go for the one that appeals most to you…

Yeah. I agree, they're always needed but never go through a boom, even if there's a shortage of them they still get paid regular pay.

I just thought it would be really useful on a farm... fixing stuff, buying broken machinery and fixing it (properly). I sort of misread the OP and thought he meant which skill would be most useful on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Was going to say this, the money is crazy as they're as scarce as hens teeth, if I had my time again I do that or plumbing. I spent 15 years blocklaying and picked up plastering with it from working with my brother, I wouldn't be the best plasterer but I'd be well able to put it on and finish small jobs, it stood to me over the years with work but plastering and blocks are wicked hard on the body, so plumbing or lift engineer would get my vote, at 25 you think you're invincible, at 50 you're hobbling around going for scans on hips and shoulders, I'm driving a lorry now and to be honest it's no easier than a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bit limiting for a farmer though? Lots of travel unless close to a major source of work.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Is there a framework for apprenticeships ? How would a young person go about getting an apprenticeship? in any trade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Same as that - young lads here will do spark or maybe plumber and after that nothing! Brickies will be going to work in a Ferrari in 10 or 20 years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 martinnn1997

Tbh I'm nor sure if I would be too good of a mechanic

Block laying very hard on the body all right I suppose

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

And they’ll be coming home with a Zimmer frame!!!!

listen (or look at) the older fellas that have done it and you’ll see for yourself.

electrician or plumbing work will generally keep you close enough to home (& farm) and there’s always nixers and there’s inside work for wet days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Id recommend a plumbing apprentichip. Plumbers are scarce. And will always be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

All of the construction trades are in demand.

Most young lads going for electrician, its defo the cleanest, driest and lots of doors open to work in pharma and instrumentation.

Blocklayers and plasters cannot be got, its a boom, they can name their price. Aging profile of the guys at it, no-one young fancies getting into it. Definitely hard on the body. Liklihood of a long boom for these guys. Its a trade where the expected output might have to reduce to make it easier pn the body but the actual price paid keep increasing as they're now so rare.

Plumbing another great trade, always in demand, always repair and maintenance work available.

Can't go wrong with carpentry either.

If you're within a reasonable commute to the city there's a never-ending requirement for trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Reading all the comments has me nearly leasing out the place and heading off to the big smoke, would someone past 50 still cut it☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Would an auto electrician be in demand for the maintenance of Electric Vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Electrican, instrumentation, plumber, refrigeration, would be my advice and are licenced , always Maintainance work with those trades, a lot of the other trades are dependant on the boom/bust cycle, I'm a carpenter/cabinetmaker and I enjoy it, but a properly fitted door or wood trim will last a lifetime, with no callback for maintenance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Blocklayers are being phased out on big sites as they are too unionised and things coming in prefabricated and lifted into place. One off house builds they are flying it. Blocklaying and plastering are tough on the body.

Any trade will trump farming in terms of what you will make money wise.

If I were choosing a trade I would choose the one which interests me the most. Maybe ask a few for some work and that would likely assist.

Advertisement