Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I have neither received an order I placed with SM on 26/11 nor its replacement posted on 18/12. I agree that both are more than likely in a pile in Portlaoise somewhere. It's a pity as pre-Brexit I enjoyed some of their single origins but I won't be ordering from the UK any more for this. They do have great customer service though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Did they give a refund?

Right an update on Square Mile

the replacement order turned up today, but it was tracked post so they must have taken the hit on that. I reckon the original will turn up eventually probably

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Picked up 3 250g bags of single origin last week and somehow they misunderstood my whole bean request and decided to grind it for me. Didn't notice until I got home (from Cloud Picker so the bags are in boxes). It's ground for espresso but it's super dense. I can't use it. Anyone ever got a coffee shop to take something back? I'll message them and see if I can swap out the two unopened bags...

Even without tamping and only doing half a portafilter almost nothing is coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

I'm sure they'll rectify it for you if you did request whole bean. Coffee roasters are usually spot on for helping out their customers as much as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I have a badger & dodo voucher to use - can anyone recommend a nice filter bean from their current selection? Thanks!

I recently got a Prismo doohickey for the Aeropress, and I grind very fine when I'm making coffee with it, and I keep forgetting to set the grinder back to the usual Clever Dripper setting

Now it's meant I've discovered a few new flavour profiles from beans I'd only been using in the Clever, but frustrating that I grind 20g, discover they are too fine for the clever, but my Prismo recipe is only for 13g

Went for this (and a couple of other beans). Nothing special to me tbh, a bit disappointed. Always find it tricky to get the right grind with ethiopean beans though. Will try a bit coarser again.

Roast date was 5 days before ordering which was a little disappointed with given it's a premium coffee

Ah, sorry for giving you a bum steer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Any recommendations on decent 3fe beans? Got a gift voucher recently, although it looks like their website has less choice than last year.

I've enjoyed Latin American naturals more than east african ones the last while

3FE have this

They also have a Gesha, which I'd probably get if I had a voucher

https://shop.3fe.com/product/laos-phetlamka-natural-gesha

Ah no worries! TBH it had piqued my interest anyway and I guess reassured me that sometimes a good "Normal" 85-6 coffee can be as good for my undeveloped palate lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering if anyone has ever connected up a power meter to the socket connected to their espresso machine and found out how it consumes power? Like I think many machines are 1,500w-2,000w but wondering if it is consuming that amount of power all the time it is switched on or just when it is actually brewing?

Reason I ask is Im wondering should I turn off the machine altogether if the next coffee is a couple of hours away. If it is just standby electricity I dont mind that so much but if it is consuming 2,000w every hour just to keep the water hot and ready to go then thats a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

About 60-80 watt per Hour in a standby I would say.Bigger machines with larger boilers ( or double boilers would use more power )

Post edited by alec76 on

60-80 watts per hour isnt too bad. I will find out what my machine uses soon as Im due to pick up an energy saving kit from the local library tomorrow and that should have a power meter for checking appliances in it.

I am using Smart plug . It shows you energy usage per hour/day/month etc .

16 KW month average.

They all compatible with Alexa, so you could remotely turn Machine on and off or set everyday timers.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My QuickMill (thermoblock) takes just a minute to reach temperature so I turn it on and off as needed and don't leave it on.

Thats pretty impressive, had never heard of those.

I checked my machine with a power meter this morning. When it was heating up the water it was hitting 900-1,000 watts on the power meter. When in pure standby it was just 4 watts. I allowed it to warm up for 20 minutes and then pulled a shot before turning it off. Total power consumption for that was 0.05kw. At my day unit rate of 39 cents per kilowatt hour it worked out at 0.0195 cents. So it is just under 2 cents to warm up adequately and brew a coffee.

If I know there will be an hour or more between coffees then I think it is worth turning off. Otherwise the thermostat is kicking in every now and again and using up to 1,000 watts to keep the water in the boiler at brew temperature.

In my last order of coffee I added a couple Kg of green beans for fun. Yesterday I messed with a small quantity and ran about 4 experiments to work out if I could roast it effectively with the tools to hand.

I am very happy with the result as I was half expecting it to be far more troublesome and time consuming to work out a methodology with a strong chance of a poor and bad tasting result, but quickly hit upon a workable method with only one small accident ending in a batch of carbonised waste.

Here's the first at scale batch based on the experiments:

I was surprised at the non-existant coffee odour during the process and the low odour of the result. It's not until I ground it that the expected coffee smell came out.

The taste is better than I was expecting for a first attempt. Very smooth and very low acidity. Really nice. The average price of the beans plus shipping works out at €14.70 per Kg.

• Advertisement

It really does need more time though. Yes, thermoblock itself heating up pretty quickly, what about the rest of the machine? Surely QuickMill didn't break the law of thermodynamics?

Grouphead made of solid piece of brass.If you start pulling shot after 1 minutes of heating it takes all the energy and your shot won't be warm enough.

Yes, Quickmill recommend waiting 2-3 minutes I believe, which is what has expired by the time I have boiled a small quantity of water in the microwave for 1:40 with which I pre-heat the filter holder, filter and vacuum walled SS cup I use and ground the coffee.

The thermobloc is an approximately 1.8kg lump of aluminium cast around copper piping and a heating element, so there is a fair amount of thermal inertia reserve there, the benefit of which I am sure an astute student of the laws of thermodynamics will appreciate.

The thermobloc is an approximately 1.8kg lump of aluminium cast around copper piping and a heating element, so there is a fair amount of thermal inertia reserve there, the benefit of which I am sure an astute student of the laws of thermodynamics will appreciate.

QuickMill knows how to build good machines,and I believe they have fair reason to use thermoblocks only in entry level . Anything above it , business as usual: Boilers , PIDs and Heat Exchangers .

Surely thermoblock from QuickMill much better than similar from Sage or Delonghi , still not as good Boiler with PID in terms of temperature consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to see someone else having a crack(pun intended). A few scorch marks, but looks pretty consistent and clean. When I used to roast indoors (popcorn maker), I found the roasting odours lingered around the house, so I do it outside these days. Takes about 18 minutes of sitting around to roast up 400g to perfection. I've bought one 250g bag of roasted coffee this year (decaf). The rest has been home-roasted.

Where did you source the green beans?

Thanks. Beans were from Mondo Del Cafe. I did them in a microwave using the convection function and finished them with a bit of time in a wok, which I think is the source of the scorch marks. Seems like good potential for big money saving.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just bought a couple of 1kg bags of green beans from discountcoffee.ie, at €10/kg (+€5 courier delivery). They also sell roasted coffee for just a little more than that, but I haven't been a big fan, as they seem to be a large batch roaster, so you can never be sure how freshly roasted it is, but for green beans (where roast date is irrelevant) that's a really good price. I normally order from Switzerland in 10kg deliveries (€11-€20/kg) to take advantage of free postage, so it's nice to have a cheaper option which is delivered next day. Won't be roasting for another week or so (just roasted 800g a few days ago), but look forward to giving these a go. Can't tell what year's harvest it is, and quality/cupping scores may be a bit dubious, but still worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Can anyone point me in the right direction on a nice medium roast "house blend".

I have a Moccamaster Select with a Mellita Calibra grinder if that makes any difference, i like the Frank and Honest medium roast beans but was wondering is there anything better in the the €25 / KG range?

Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Nicks espresso beans 1kg @ €22 euro. Collection only I’m afraid but you get free coffee as well with purchase which is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

How do you find the moccamaster by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Fantastic, no frills but produces great coffee each time. Not sure i would ever have anything else for home use tbh.

Advertisement