Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 PDC World Darts Championship

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis you keep replying.

Im entitled to my opinion my man. Some people might have called the Chelsea Liverpool match poor yesterday and others would’ve thought it was class. There’s no right and wrong personal opinion.

Youve lost the plot altogether getting riled up so badly over something so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

But sure you keep replying too!!

I'll do you a favour now though and stop. But you are incorrect. Opinions are wrong every second of every day.

Of course I’d be replying - you were questioning what I said. Strange behaviour.

What is strange about questioning terrible opinions on message boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

For what it's worth I though it was a good final

Not poor or not brilliant but I'd near watch any darts I used to enjoy the BDO darts and enjoy it just as much. It isn't all about 100 + averages a good close game with some decent finishing can be just as exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

The camera work by Sky was very poor at this year’s Championship. I don’t ever remember it being as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a hell of a lot more to it than just the averages. It's pure nonsense to just decide one figure is poor and the other is excellent. You have to look at why the averages are what they are. You need to look at the stage and any issues, the crowd being nasty will affect players too. A 96 average on one day could be way more impressive than a 102 on another day

As for Phil Taylor, he is still playing darts and making lots of money doing it. They have a Seniors World championship now and he's top man on that. Lots of legends playing it. Rumours of a mini seniors tour starting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

close the thread,might end the feud :D

but I do look at it more than just the averages and I stated as such

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They were very bad for showing the 20. Was very hard to tell if they were hitting the treble as they weren't zooming in. They couldn't keep up with Smith he was so fast at times.

It kind of is taken for granted but its mad how quick Mardle is at being able to determine what score/double/treble etc is required. He was able to calculate and commentate on what was needed at the same speed at which the likes of Smith or Anderson throw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Eric Bristow was employed by Sky for a while as a camera director. He would tell the camera operator exactly where to focus or whether to pull out and show the whole board etc.

I remember seeing a clip of Bristow doing this. As well as knowing every possible finish he was also aware of what each particular player favoured.

eg. For a 108 finish Barney who loves double 18 would probably start on treble 18. (Shanghai on the 18s =108).

Somebody who prefers double 8 or 16 would probably start on treble 20.

In the clip I saw, Bristow was constantly calculating and directing. eg. If 102 required and the 60 is missed Bristow would shout "bull" if single 20 was hit but "treble 17" if single 1 was hit or "treble 19" if single 5 was hit etc. etc.

It's a skill that I don't think a general camera operator would generally have; particularly the knowledge of the preferred finishes of the top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there ever any discussion about changing the scoring system for the world championships to say first to 21 legs in the final and use the scoring system that most tournaments have? Is this likely to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's very interesting, always wondered who told the camera men where to focus. Must be a tough enough job for whoever is operating the cameras. Was once or twice where Mardle seemed to get a bit annoyed with the cameras for not being focused at the right number/double etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

As a ex professional darts player that would be second nature to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not that I’ve ever heard of.

Why would anyone want that. It’s the different format that makes the Worlds so interesting.

Who can handle the pressure in those key deciding 5th legs. Also allows for some big comebacks when you can work your way back into a game set by set.

We get to see leg format in every other tournament bar the Grand Prix which has double start.

This.

Think they are referred to as "spotters." John Part used to do it also.

As someone else said, it's a skill most pro darts players should have. Even as an amateur myself, i'd have all the outshots memorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, i wouldn’t like to see it change, was just curious if there was any talk of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'd rather see things go the other way to be honest, with more tournaments using sets rather than just legs. The first to XX legs scoring system gets a bit tedious after a while and leaves less scope for drama and comebacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

That's it! "Spotters"

I knew there was a word for that job.

This year's spotter made a few mistakes alright. I play a bit of pub league darts at a fairly low standard but like yourself I'd know all the outshots. The only thing I'm not up to scratch with is the combinations coming down from the high 200s or 300s to leave a finish (eg. don't leave 163 or 159 etc) but I'm nowhere near a good enough player for that to matter. Having said that, if I'm sitting on 188 with 1 dart left in hand, I will of course aim for 18s ... you never know 😄

anyone think that if smith had of played callan rydz in the quarters then smith would have been beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Keith Deller and Colin Lloyd are the current spotters. Very tough job as it's impossible to a players preferred route correct every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

There was a point when the camera focused on the bull when Smith needed D5. Mardle shouted DOUBLE 5 but it was still missed. The Sky camera work was the only disappointment in a great tournament. The final was good but Smith v Clayton was the best game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think that was coming from 70 wasn't it. Single 20 left bull and treble 20 left double 5. Smith hit the treble but the spotter must have thought he hit the single so called for bull, it's hard to tell sometimes.

There seems to be more very fast players out there than there used to be, the likes of Smith, Ricky Evans, Keane Barry as well. They switch so fast that it must be an absolute nightmare for the spotters to keep up.

Not so much of an issue with someone like Wright but the spotters definitely have a tougher job now with the faster players coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ianiemac

Does anyone know how many 180s were thrown in the PDC throughout the tournament?

We have a sweepstakes and everyone had a guess at it. During the first semi, they had an overall total on the screen but never updated since and can’t find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Yep......859!!!!!!!!!!!!

An amazing statistic really...... an average of 0.47 ( x 180s) per leg.......... I'd be happy with an average of 0.001🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ianiemac

Many thanks! Much appreciated!

Well. Ronnie Baxter was a very fast thrower and i can't seem to remember much of a problem.

At the same time, players now are generally taking out bigger finishes more regularly. Even when on 303 ( i think) a player goes for 19s first so as to leave a greater chance of a finish. That wasn't there 10 years ago even.

Ultimately though, i think there has been a deterioration for sure when it comes to spotting, or camerawork? Usually the PDC were very good, need to get back on the ball.

question is will sherrock get a tourcard and why are the pdc delaying the premier league annoucement of players ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement