Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

Anderson was a huge disappointment in his BDO days but its overlooked that he was winning combined tournaments with the PDC back in 2007 beating the best of that field. He won the Premier League 2 1/2 years into his switch and just after making a world final. It's only that he was a bit superior to the field in the BDO in the late 00s (even with Adams, Whitlock, Webster etc) that made people question him. He was still a bit shaky but took to the PDC a lot quicker.

Its different for Smith in that he's been hyped up for so long but too often he hasn't matched it. Wright was unbelievable in the last 3 sets but Smith just had too many loose darts when it mattered. Not his worst defeat but any bit of composure when Wright was clearly on the ropes and he had it.

Even the attitude to Gando is different in itself. He was criticised for laughing and joking along when he lost but Smith just always looks miserable even when playing well.

He could feature in other majors but that will be hard to recover from. There's so much competition out there that it's a lot harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

Bully bottled it lads he had loads of chances to kick on but never took advantage more so when he went 5-4 up,and there was umpteen times he had the chances to jump on Wright's low first 3 darts when Wright was throwing first in he's sets.better man won no doubt about it.

Bully just doesn't have that kill it off xfactor or whatever you wanna call it,that's he's 2nd world final in 3 yrs has he learned not by tonight's showing.and he's opposition in the future not might go be here m the chances again.

I think Wright would of beaten price in the final.

And as regards covid mvg Wright would have smashed him.

Mvg was never winning the world's COVID or no COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,875 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, I'm sure anyone world have kept pace with Wright over those last three sets.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

You said “really poor” at a point in time where the averages were 98/96.

My question remains the same. Do you think sub 100 averages are terrible really poor and 100 plus is great?

If not then what is the determinable factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Long time lurker here, but just wanted to ask how come Phil Taylor doesn't seem to be involved in any of the Sky darts events now?

Either as a pundit or commentator surely the greatest player ever to pick up a dart should be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-42543/Darts-champion-fined-indecent-assaults.html This wouldn’t help. Anyway, being a great player doesn’t mean he would be a good commentator.

There’s a massive difference between 96/98 101/103 over 200+ Darts, so yes I would actually.

At a guess

1) He has no interest

2) He actually isn’t great in-studio

3) He’s tough to work with and Sky don’t see the benefit of having him

Being the best ever doesn’t mean you’d be a good pundit I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great seasonal entertainment as always. Whomever decided on the scheduling of this event to cover both Christmas and New Year was inspired.

The Covid withdrawls lessened the event I thought, and I absolutely cringed at times seeing the crowd packed in at the Ally Pally.

Wright deserved his win, even though neither finalist played to his potential in the decider. Smith is a great talent and is so relaxed when he's throwing well. His time will come I think. Price is a great player, but is easy to dislike.

Callan Rydz is worth keeping an eye on but his combover is brutal.

A difference yes. But to call one great and the other very poor is fairly laughable IMO

In your opinion, yes.

In MY opinion, those margins are large.

In MY opinion, for a final especially it was a let down. You’d see from my posts however I praised Wright especially for his last few sets and his turnaround, but you won’t acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Peter Wright showed the difference between the great and the good last night playing those kind of darts under that kind of pressure to close out a world final is absolutely phenomenal.

I think Michael smith's time will come he's only 31 plenty of time for it to come good after all Peter Wright was 47 before he won a tv title.

Why should i acknowledge you stating the obvious?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Smith's time has been coming for quite a while now. It's said after every final he manages to lose that his time will come and he's bound to win a big one. Maybe he just isn't mentally strong enough to win a major final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Well I don't think he bottled this final just beaten by the better player it happens not every loss is a bottle job. I think he will get the mental side right and has plenty of time to do so Wright was 47 before he won a tv title and was known as a bottler in finals before that Anderson was in his 40's before he won the world's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I definitely agree that it wasn't an obvious bottle job but remember that Wright was only averaging 94 before he turned on the after burners. He was nowhere near his best and Smith couldn't take advantage of that fact. I posted in this thread a few times during the match that Wright was just about clinging on and he kept switching his darts as he wasn't playing his best.

There wasn't an awful lot he could have done about the last 3 sets but it should have been over before that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

smith is only 31, neither taylor,barney,ando or snakebite had a world title at that age, he's 20 years younger than ando and snakebite ,ive no doubt he will win at least 1 world title. imo he's ando mk2 , one big one and the pressure is off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

There's a world of difference between Smith and the other 4 though.

Smith has to go through a field of 96 players and also has an extremely gruelling year round tour. That wasn't the case for the other 4 players when they were in their 30's.

The lifespan of a player since 2010 is getting considerably shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

true ,wouldnt take much for smith to be at their level though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Taylor had a BDO world title before he hit 31. He won his second while he was 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Smith is also dangerously out of shape for a 31-year-old, which won't be a help to him over the next decade. Yes, he could push on and win a few biggies, but he could equally peter out from here like Adrian Lewis but without "the 2-time back-to-back" in front of his name. MVG another 31yo who could do with a lifestyle tweak.

Not everyone has to be as healthy as Gerwyn Price, but there's a happy medium ground of being just a wee bit portly (darts fit !) which the likes of Anderson & Wright occupy. Smith lost the the final at a stage when his comparative youth could have been a stamina advantage to him.

Cause you were talking rubbish about it being a very poor game and deserved to called out on it (and i wasn't the only one).

If it truly is your opinion that's fine but opinions don't get a free pass. It is a discussion board after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I think he did do co-commentary for a very short period of time after his retirement.

I would imagine with the whole me too movement that sky will now steer clear of him due to his previous convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Cracking graphic from Christopher Kempf aka Ochepedia on Twitter

One thing I do agree with Wayne mardle about is timing

Between legs 35 and 40 it was soo tight, but then Snakebite just managed to find something somewhere

By the time Bullyboy got going scoring wise (after leg 46) it was just too late, Snakebite had all the momentum and a lead

I guess experience told in the end and yes, timing is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sc86

That was a decent final , to say otherwise is a strange view.

There was some awfull finals over the years

What the hell - when I commented I thought it was very poor. Notably then stated it had picked up when it did. What are you getting so upset over a damn forum?

Edit: I couldn’t give a shite if I’m getting ‘called out’ on a personal opinion btw. Don’t take things here so personally

• Advertisement

You were patently wrong at that point when you said you thought it was very poor. That is the point😆

Advertisement