Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭HBC08

I 100% agree with this,I've made every same point throughout this thread.

I think there is near full agreement across boards,that's rarely seen.

I'm a moderate drinker at home and my 5 bottles a week of IPA a week will now cost me a whopping €520 a year extra.Thats not even including the Mrs who doesn't drink much but would have a bottle of wine maybe twice a month so that's my small household of light to moderate drinkers getting absolutely ripped off.(Bare in mind that's from a base point of one of the most expensive countries in Europe for booze to begin with)

What really worries me is this.....if they were dumb enough to bring this in based off some questionable info and lobbying from not particularly balanced or reasonable groups like AAI then what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,745 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What's next is that this will be a nine days wonder, and there won't be a word about it this time next year. If people want to save money, they could start by not throwing away so much food.

Possibly,the cycle of outrage and move on is the normal now,people forget and move on.

However,it'll be hard to forget this as every fri night after a hard week at work it'll be staring me in the face when I pop into the offie or Lidl on my way home.I imagine I'm not alone in that.

At the risk of repeating myself,it's often the small things that break the camels back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Feel sry for them when there addicted to the bag which will work out cheaper than booze. Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Bootlegging from the north like the Canadian border in the 1920s US. I like it guys. I ride shotgun. Wheres me tommygun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

It would seem to me to be pretty obvious, if I was young and wanted to 'get off my tits' and hadn't much money- I'd seriously consider getting a couple of pills or whatever drugs are going around nowadays than pay double for cheap cans or spirits.

Pre mup....10 cans dutch gold...off my tits for 10euro

Post mup...10 cans...my tits for 20euro

Pre mup..2pills...off my tits for 10euro

Post mup ..2pills...tits...10euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Don't drink much myself anymore but might have a few cans on a friday and Saturday evening, and you get to enjoy them better than if you are sipping cans all week, personally I think the big slabs were a bit too cheap like 24 cans for 15 or 20 quid, maybe a euro a can minimum would have been fine, but what they have done now with being 2 euro a can is ridiculous. Hit the poor and working man or woman again is shocking to say the least,nanny state, you be a good boy now go to work, pay your taxes, dont drink too much so you will be able to keep working and keep paying your taxes until you drop dead,like who the **** wants to live for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My preffered wines base price has gone from 12/13 to 15+, I used to buy a box of it only when it dropped to 10 or lower which regularly happened. If it doesn't go on sale for similar prices again I will definitely be going up north whenever its on sale there to buy several boxes, currently its base price there is equivalent to 12 euro.

Throw in a few boxes of 12 Corona which are 17 here and only 13 in the north and the savings will add up quickly.

It does help that I have a diesel because the savings arent anywhere near as good in a petrol car but still if you bulk up enough they are there to be had.

Say you were going to spend £300. That would cost you about €362.50 at the current exchange rate. I bought £300 for €330 when it was a good rate, maybe two years ago. The exchange rate is a big consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,549 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Just got this text from Greyhound and thought of this thread. Is this a sign that we're drinking too much?

• Advertisement

There is no base price for wine, only the price the shop is prepared to sell it at, once that is not lower than the new legal minimum. A bottle of wine over €10 should not see any increase. Unless the shop decides to make it more expensive. Possibly as was suggested before in the thread, to keep a differential from the cheap stuff. But nothing to do with the legislation.

Look out for increases in drink prices in the North as well. Not to do with our new policy, just a general rise possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a sign we don't have enough bottle banks. In Nice there's one in every estate... it's as far as the winos can walk without needing another €2 bottle of wine maybe?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a sign that local authorities have pathetically underprovided for recycling facilities.

In Germany there is a 25 cent deposit on beer cans and bottles. I saw that on the link to the cheap beer in Germany on the thread.

When are they bringing in the deposit on cans and bottles? Are Greyhound banking on heavy drinkers shame of going to a bottle bank with a fully loaded car transferring to getting their deposits back from shops and charging them 9.99 a month for the privilege and cashing in the empties themselves??? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Its Citra Hops that are in a lot of the common craft beers - common because people (albeit not you) like them - rather than citrus additions for the most part. The flavours come from the Hops and Malts for the vast majority of micro beers rather than additions. I really think people who dismiss the entire industry really just haven't found one they like. There's serious quality in Irish brewing, reflected in the awards they get in the World Beer Awards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

August. Allegedly.

The legislation for it now exists finally.

Of course it's a sign we're drinking too much.I remember in the 90s when there was no Greyhound bottle bins and nobody drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought that only applied to plastics and cans... glass bottles no change?

Maybe they are rolling out as it will make recycling of green bin waste more expensive for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd imagine if the cans were no longer in the green bin they would be losing out? I'm no expert on that industry so not informed as to what they make or lose on cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

€1k worth is a huge amount of drink.

I'm not sure you would get many people willing to spend €1k a go just on drink.

I can think of a lot of non essentials I'd spend €1k on, like a holiday, towards a new entertainment system or other electronic goods, towards clothes, jewelry etc before I'd plunge it into drink.

If you are talking pre MUP prices your €1k is going to get you 66 cases of 20 bottle Bud (€15 a case of 20)

That's over 1,300 bottles.

What supermarket are three of you going to be able to buy 200 cases of beer in ?

You might have to travel to a few towns to fill that order.

You'd need a decent van to transport them.

And do you have space at home for 66 cases of Bud ?

It is a Statutory Instrument, not primary legislation. But a very detailed one compared to the one or two pages often being enough. Looks like it won't apply to glass. There will have to be a new qango set up to run it.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/pdf

If they are doing it to keep the price difference between bargain and premium brands it is absolutely to do with the legislation as it wouldn't have happened without it.

I think you could negotiate a deal with the shop, when you are going to be spending that much. No harm in asking anyway.

Never gets old!!!!!! Yer one with the cans outside was the icing 🤣

My issue isn't with the shop its with the Government and pubs for forcing this idiocy on us so ill be taking my money north and making sure i don't spend any of the money i save in their garbage premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So.....you're going to hope that the government put a "hard border on the island of Ireland" to catch people who want to save a few quid on some cans of Heino and maybe a bottle or two of Smirnoff?

Never mind what the Irish plebs think of that, what would our European partners think of it?

"Just a minute, Mr Varadkar/Martin/Ms McDonald! You have got the whole bloody continent to back you, at the expense of a long-drawn out negotiation process with the British and risk a trade war just to keep your border open and now you're hassling your own people because they want to exercise their own rights as members of our sacred Single Market????? Were you yanking our chain all these years? You know what you can do now?

Verpiss dich!

Va te faire foutre!

Va fanculo!

Capiche?"

• Advertisement

The regulations about personal use already existed before the new rules. I was responding to a post about students from Galway hiring a fleet of buses to go North.

Advertisement