Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

surely the future is smaller cans, lower percents.

I´ve gone to the 330 craft beers and sours, and its cut down my drinking alot.

In old days when people had to drink beer like water they had table beer and small beer. children would drink 1-2 per cent beer.

I reckon better tasting non alcholic options and smaller options and percents is the way forward. sales of smaller wine bottles as well is up. and bigger brands are going small. rioja viejo is widely available up north for example in 250ml bottles.

I personally drink too much but this won´t affect me. cheap alcohol usually tastes like ****. But it is a tax on the poor really.

Its funny there is soft policy to push Ireland as a pubs and craic country while then playing up the nanny state at home. thats what pisses me off so much.

Its easy to see a dark future for alcohol if the above isn´t implemented. could easily become a controlled substance if enough zealots get together.

alcohol is one of the truly great hoodwinks of society. i love it, and it lubricates society for better and worse and was vital to us in the past. however it clearly comes with a large dollop of fools gold. its definitely cancer causing, addictive and helps us forget our worst troubles and strifes.

i mean can anybody say with a straight face that being able to buy say a bottle of gran reserva red wine at 5 euro like on the continent would be good for anybody? the masses of South Dublin would be trollied. Clearly governments will move to start controlling these aspects. Covid has jump started a slow building movement of immortality wishing. Too many people die from tobacco, alcohol, cars, cancer from food and the above. its getting to the stage where the government might come out and say. ¨under this government nobody will die¨. clearly you could flip it and say its about health spends etc, but the unfortunate deaths keep costs lower. I dunno i think we´re doomed long term. the EU has backed a new fund for talking about the risks of red meat. we eat too much meat as it is etc, but its clearly part of a trend. if its moderate it could be ok. we will need to revisit if in 5-10 years a cheap bottle of plonk is 20 quid. but atm, the increases apart from slabs isn´t too crazy. going out and protesting just doesn´t seem right. We often hear IReland drinks too much. check out some of the liver cancer rates in places like France, S Korea and elsewhere. drink is a global issue.

watching dopesick atm and its really good. but its clear we could wildly swing the other way now.

Post edited by starkid on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No you are classest and quite possibly agest.

Why should a retired couple be penalised for having a 4pk of beer and a bottle of wine a week with dinner or some TV.

Should this just be the reserve of people with money?

Should they make a choice between enjoying one night themselves a week or buying stuff for the grandkids at Christmas. That's the actual reality of what you are talking about here. Not the notion of the off their head mad drinker.

You are advocating for penalising people just for living. Just for standing still in this country. What little luxuries should people have in your opinion. Shoot go for it. Tell me what these individuals should and shouldn't be allowed to do in the little time we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

>>In old days when people had to drink beer like water they had table beer and small beer. children would drink 1-2 per cent beer.

@starkid, how long ago was that? Was that really a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So prohibition for the poor, like it or not that is what you are advocating for. And the irony is we know for a fact from when it was tried way back in the US and how poorly the so called war on drugs has gone that prohibition and making things illegal simply doesnt work and people turn to worse stuff supplied by criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

ah not in living memory. 18th century maybe into the 19th but tea and coffee became substitutes. i think in Belgium table beer is still popular even though they have the stronger beer as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If people are so concerned about old people and the poor why aren't the likes of Age Action Ireland or any other older persons advocacy group coming out against this?

And to the original point of my reply why aren't SF, Labour, SD etc who support the working class coming out against this rather than being fully behind it (remember SD leader Roisin Shortall was an early advocate of MUP and SF wanted the minimum price to be higher than it was set at) ?

You see the reality is, less alcohol consumption is better for you.

So for the example you gave, why don't they start to cut down to 2pk and a bottle of wine a week.

Their bodies will thank them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How can you talk about prohibition and making things illegal while at the same time claiming it's a FG sop to the pubs ?

The government can't be moving towards making alcohol illegal while supporting the pubs at the same time now can they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

Inexplicably this seems to be the case.If you go by this thread alone that has been running for years then there's about 95% opposition to this version of MUP (I'd imagine they're would be general support for some sort of intelligent well thought out plan )

It's hard to fathom,I suppose this thread could be a weird echo chamber where the overwhelming majority of the view of the thread is not reflected in general society.The best example of this being the hilarious but often scary Restrictions thread when covid was really bad.I don't think that's the case here though,anybody I spoke too is raging about this,even a few non drinkers and ex drinkers who see the stupidly of it and are angry this is being sold as a health measure.

People don't like extra taxes/regulations etc but when you have to pay more for something, it's totally self inflicted and then you're told it's for your own good (when it clearly isn't and is a badly thought out load of sh1te) that rightly p1sses people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It can be both. They are targeting those who can afford it and trying to push them back to the pubs while at the same time punishing those who are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Once again I ask you. If they cut down to 2 cans not 2 pack as you no doubt attempted to skew consumption. And a bottle of wine it still costs more over 150 euro. They are still being penalised for standing still. Just living.

Why.

Its not good enough just to throw costs on to the population 'just because'.

People have meagre enough existences here already with our costs of living.

But you think it's OK to lump more on top

Why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Out of their meagre (after tax) income, the population manages to find around €6 billion to spend on drink every year. Around €1,200 for every man woman and child.

We will see in a few years whether that figure reflects a reduction in consumption due to this new legislation. Or whether it will increase to indicate the same level of consumption, or even higher. I expect like a lot of things the answer will be somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The COVID restrictions thread is a poor example of a consensus on Boards. The thread was dominated by a handful of people that weren't interested in debate, but just posting about how right they were. There was also a parallel thread with a more balanced view.

On both threads on MUP, the consensus is that the measure isn't wanted. Will it work at reducing overall alcohol consumption? Tbh it probably will. But it will also have a load of unintended consequences: a proliferation of backyard offies, booze runs to Newry, the closure of legitimate off licenses within an hour's drive of the border. It may also result in some people increasing their consumption, as they stockpile after booze runs.

Will it reduce problem drinkers consumption? The jury is still out there. When you have an addiction, it tends to come first above all else so we could start to see food and fuel poverty as alcohol purchases are prioritised by these individuals.

I personally have a few issues with this policy. I have a small family and don't get to go to the pub often. My idea of a night out is taking two cans from my 24 for €24 slab, my pack of tayto and relaxing with my partner after the children have gone to bed on a Friday night. Absolutely mad I know. The price per year of this simple "luxury" has now jumped from €144 to €270. The measure won't stop me doing it, I'll just end up paying more for it - like the vast majority of responsible drinkers. What am I paying extra for?

I'd mind an awful lot less if I knew that the extra I was paying was going towards the State, but no. This bonkers measure has the extra going to sellers who can no longer compete with each other.

And the final kicker is the way we are being gaslighted about this being a public health measure. It isn't. It's a market intervention to make the gap smaller between pub and off trade prices to make them appear relatively more competitive. Done under the cloak of public health of course.

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Don't tell me this is for public health reasons when it's right there in your manifesto as a measure to support pubs.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

It would depend on where people were coming from to get to Newry. Or Enniskillen or Strabane. In the old days they came from Cork. Also very much on the Euro Sterling exchange rate. People would need to do a calculation, including how much of their time would be taken up, to see whether it is really worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After getting my esb bill today, I've gone from irritated to furious with this new legislation. I'm worn out from the cost of living and stupid legislation like this is tone deaf right now from a spineless government.

Within an hours drive it's a no-brainer, so that's the country north of Balbriggan.

For those further south what will happen is that they won't see if it is worthwhile, they will make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes, it's about being semi-professional about it really.

Couple going up in their Micra for a few bottles is inefficient.

3 people going up in a van/big car, splitting the cost of travel and buying a decent amount (€1K worth each) is definitely worthwhile from anywhere in the country. Knowing in advance where you are going and having a rough idea what you are purchasing (checking exact prices beforehand to maximise saving) will be a big advantage also.

A whole cottage industry will develop around this. I can absolutely see booze buses being run from Galway and Dublin colleges for example and the lads coming down from the north establishing side hustles in beer.

And good for them I say.

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

I feel for the young people who can’t buy a house, or those whose rent is continuously rising, or the average mortgage payer who has to pay a higher percentage than almost anywhere else in Europe. These costs are massive compared to a couple of hundred euro extra a year on booze. My sympathy for drinkers is low compared to those people. Alcohol is a luxury not an essential like housing.

If they are on buses, they will be an easy target for the mobile customs patrols, who have the job of enforcing the personal limits for alcohol coming into the country. We are a bit better off than those who go to France from England, because the North is still in the EU single market. But there are limits which can't be exceeded by law.

You obviously don't know the code of the border road.

https://youtu.be/aiQ1kkknU_k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are the personal limits if coming from the North?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

They are the same as from Spain or Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The guideline limit is up to 110 bottles of wine, 250 cans of beer and 15 bottles of spirits. That's a sizeable haul really. I doubt many on the bus would have anything approaching that.

But even beyond that, you would just have to convince them that it's for personal use, so I'm not sure it's that big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok so, per person:

Spirits (for example whiskey, vodka and gin) = 10 litres

Intermediate products that contain 22% alcohol or less (for example sherry or port) = 20 litres

Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling ) = 90 litres

Beer = 110 litres

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Where is all the money going to come from for these expeditions to the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Can of bud is 4.5% ? So you're looking at 2euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,131 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which are unlimited if you can show it is for personal comsumption.

The 10 litres of spirits / 110 litres of beer / 90 litres of wine etc "limits" are those below which questions aren't asked. Above that you have to show its personal use; but there is no actual limit.

The limits will stop the students hiring people to take a busload back to them.

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Someone from Dublin driving up to Newry and back might make sense if they are going to load up a few months worth of drink. But cost of fuel and depreciation due to wear and tear and extra mileage would count against the savings.

Most people will just pay the extra price and stay in Dublin or drink slightly less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Only getting back to you now because I was busy all morning.

The opposition should have opposed this MUP con trick because it is against the interests of people drinking modest amounts.

They are paid to scrutinise legislation and represent their constituents.

They should have examined the claims put forward by all interest groups including AAI and doctors etc. and insisted on legislation which could actually help problem drinkers without penalising ordinary people.

The jig is up now, anyone can just go into a supermarket and look the proof is there on the shelves.

All the lies about targeting problem drinkers and only affecting strong alcohol are exposed.

As for your last point all I can say is try to empathise with the less well off.

Advertisement