Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I was thinking, a pentation or something should be started to have all alcoholic beverages removed from the bar/s in Dail Eireann, I mean if we have such a major problem with drink in this country. Then it is only right that we set our policy makers standards, have them lead by example and remove all alcoholic beverages from the bars in The Dail.

Its hardly right that as a nation that has such an issue with alcohol we seemingly are okay with having a fully functional bar in the place where our policy makers work, it should be removed (with the added bonus of removing the issue of staff not paying off the tabs in said bars, well at least for the alcohol portion of the bills).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Get on to them on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres actually 2 fully functional bars in Leinster house, they absolutely should be removed but good luck getting anywhere close to the unanimous support this sham of a law got for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There doesnt appear to be a straight forward way out of it. One would hope that common sense would prevail but its doubtful. Publicans seem to be of the opinion that we will all rush back. That wont be the case. 15 pints is about 90 quid in my local give or take. So do the Math.

I'm not against tackling the overly cheap sale of alcohol per say. But this is just arbritrary. No reason why single units should have been tackled. Like say a single can or anything less than 8 cans cant be sold below a certain price. Slabs at Christmas etc should have been left at 24 quid maybe. Most would have probably taken that.

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Raise the prices at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

8 cans of hop house13 is now €16 in supervalue, what a rip off.

It was €13.50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

€2 a can of beer is no way a rip off, probably cheaper by volume than stuff like Red Bull, certainly cheaper than coffees in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With how many publicans we have in the dail that will never happen and that's how it's very obvious this is all about pubs and nothing to do with health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I would argue the 13.50 was already a rip off for that.

Well then by your own logic it's even more of a rip off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I got slabs of Guinness the other day for a tenner, anything from now on is going to be a rip off for me.

I know what you mean the €10 seriously spoiled us.

German prices at home 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Don't anyone forget who the original instigator of this nonsensical policy was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be fair that's just your opinion that it's muck.

Most of the Irish craft brewers are putting out some really good and innovative beers. Few world awards for them as well so I'd say it's not really muck.

They're not hiding flavours by using citrus. What you were tasting was the hops that were added to give it flavour. Certainly not hiding anything.

I think it's great that we have loads of Irish brewers trying new things and as a consumer it's giving us more choice.

Unfortunately with MUP I think we'll have less choice now as some beers, wines etc will be quietly discontinued as they see sales drop or people stop buying them completely due to the cost.

Not good for consumers.

I dont like craft beer. I like a can of heineken or a bottle of Corona. Heineken is mad money now. I see corona is 12 for 17 euro. 330 ml bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This doesn't affect me as much as it would have years ago. I drink a lot less and switched to craft beers some years ago. I get that some dislike the taste but I couldn't go back to cans of Carlsberg or Heineken for love nor money.

It's a disgrace that this has been implemented on health grounds when other measures would've worked much better

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭techman1

I think when Scotland tried to bring in MUP in 2015 they came up against EU anti competition law

of course now that the UK left the EU they no longer had to worry about that when they introduced it in 2018. Its funny that the Scottish nationalists only introduced this as a result of Brexit but England didn't.

The question is if Scotland came up against EU anti competition law how did we manage to introduce this ourselves now. Surely MUP is the definition of anti competitive practices?

Went into the local garage today. cheapest bottle of cheap wine was 9 euro. this will put and end to the 5 euro bottles of piss in LIDL too

The cheap drink was causing absolute carnage(silently), the amount of middle age people that are drinking one or two bottles of cheap wine daily is crazy, and a lot were getting ill, just not in a public way. Hopefully this will reduce consumptive. PErsonally loved paying 1 euro for a munich beer in tesco as it tried to get market share but don't drink much so can pay 2 or 3 euro for the same.

The only downside to this, is it is effectively a big subsidy handed over to the publicans(ie their competition hobbled). But then again, the state could start enforcing the licencing laws and we would see half the publicans gone tomorrow

• Advertisement

Can you back up your claims regarding the carnage and middle aged people drinking two bottles of wine daily? If they are that addict then 4 quid on a bottle of "piss" wont pot them off or solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I realize that the original purpose of MUP was to cripple competitive prices in the off trade to discourage people drinking at home in favour of the pub trade. Their 2011 manifesto mentions this very fact.

If the government were so supportive of the pub trade, they should've done away with licensing laws and closing hours so pubs and nightclubs could stay open for as long as they please and be as competitive as they want to be.

Licensing laws such as late licenses automatically build risk into any entrepreneur who is going the publican route with their business. The increasingly stringent drink driving laws were the icing on the cake for many pubs in rural areas.

Of course, they are too stingy to eradicate licensing laws because they profit from them. This recent move (over a decade in the making) to attack the off-licenses is in my opinion, a bid to keep the restrictions they've imposed on the on-trade bolstered. This way, they retain control over both the on-trade and off-trade.

That previous comment I made was about how angry I am that NGOs and their zealotry driven medalling have had such a detrimental and livelihood ruining effect. Anyway, I have said what I can on the matter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Existing publicans support most of the arcane licencing laws - they don't want anyone else "going the publican route"!

Closed shop with an immensely strong lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

Was in Tesco and Dunnes earlier today and I noticed this.

Tesco: Druids Celtic Cider; 4 x 500ml 6% €9.50

Dunnes: Druids Celtic Cider; 4 x 440ml 4.8% €7

Difference is 1.2% Alcohol and €2.50 in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Love the fact that you can consider every €5 bottle to be piss in LIDL etc

Nothing cheap about €5 a bottle either in European standards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In a blind test shur half them wouldn't know the difference between a cheap lidl/aldi wine and a €20 bottle from the local wine merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes and to be fair, I did say it was my opinion. Admittedly 'muck' was a a lot harsher than I actually meant or think. I do believe that the citrus is used to disguise the flavour, but understand it is often used to enhance existing flavours from the hops, citrus fruit being one that often is from the hops. It is done with almost all of the Irish ones I have tried, and there are very few craft breweries that don't, bar many having one or maybe two flavours that don't. That said I agree with you saying that it is good we have more choice (a lot of the same choice imo), and it is definitely a bad thing what MUP may do to some of the smaller breweries, although I think if the cheaper stuff goes up to the same price as those, and they are left alone, then more people may try them at the same or similar price. There seems to be very little unique experimentation with flavours here. Again, imho.

I do think though that many of the craft beers are okay but much prefer to swap around with the old worldly beers, and they are going to take a big thwack with MUP, It's almost as if they want us to only have Heineken, Guinness and Budweiser available throughout the whole country.

MUP seems it does a lot more harm than good.

Honestly I love it. I stopped drinking a good while back but did plenty of blind taste checks with mates over the years to know that wine is wine and beer is beer. The fancy beers are basically the equivalent of people turning vaping into a hobby. And to pay silly money for the premium.

(Particularly if you're a cold drinker drinker. The 4 quid bottles of wine in Aldi were perfectly serviceable before. As for the beer, Galahad was my go-to. Even just half an hour in the fridge and there were a couple of brands that were hard to tell apart from it. It's a very lager-y lager which I liked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah c'mon. You need to check your tongue isn't made of plastic or something.

Advertisement