Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Targets

• 31-12-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

This is the place to nail your colours to the mast.

1. Run a sub3 marathon in a genuine race. In the past couple of years, I’ve done it in a virtual, so this should be achievable hopefully.
    2. Run a PB. The 5k PB I have of 17:25 is probably the lowest hanging fruit, but I haven’t raced 5k in years. Half and full marathon probably out of sight, so I’ll have to enter a 5k.
    3. Run at least 100 miles per month. 2021 was the first time I’ve ever managed to achieve this goal, and I reckon having it as a target helps motivation year round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Same as every other year, to be alive and still running

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Similar to ThePiedPiper. Infact almost identical.

1. Sub 3 marathon is the goal for May.

2. Hopefully I come through that unscathed at which point I plan on switching back to 5k/10k for the summer with a plan to hopefully improve on my pbs at both distances. Sub 17 and Sub 36 are the goals there.

3. I'd like to maintain or improve on my mileage from this year. So anything around 2800 miles or higher I'll be happy with. Near term plan is to revert back to 6 days a week running until the marathon block ends and then see about switching back to 7 days a week from there.

Wouldn't mind a crack at the HM before end of year, possibly the border half but that's a long way off. My HM pb is probably the best of the lot but it's a few years old at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

For the 1st time, my 2022 goal is exactly this. After the last 3 months, I'm not talking about times or training distances, just delighted to be out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

To be a better person to be kinder more considerate, caring, patient and understanding…

…feck that, sub 3!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

1. Sub 3:35 Marathon. Current PB from Belfast 2021 3:40
    2. Sub 20min 5k. Current PB 21:06 St Anne's Park 2019. Haven't raced a 5k since
    3. 1000 miles for the year. 867 miles in 2021.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To start actually running again. Can't even remember when my last interval or tempo run was, definitely pre-covid, so at least two years!

If I can do that, maybe go crazy and do a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

2,000 miles

Sub 3'30 at Seville Marathon

Sub 20 at Marlay Parkrun

5'3? Mile

Continue to listen to the body's feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Sub-3:20 marathon (Chicago)
    • At least two cross country races, starting with Dublin Masters
    • 10-mile PB
    • Another sub-20 5k
    • Pace someone to a PB (any distance, mile to marathon)

Would be more than happy with all of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Sub 3 hour marathon (current PB 3.10:20)
    • 2,000 miles for the year (1,800 this year)
    • Post a weekly blog update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marathon2022

+ 2,000 miles would be the most important to me, most of my plans are long-term. I'm 50 next year so I will keep my powder dry till then(5k/10k/Half/full/50 mile)

CCC 2025 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just to get consistent running in for 2022.

After that its a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

Sub 20min 5k (PB 20:22)

Sub 42min 10k (PB 42:33)

Sub 3:40 Marathon (PB 3:41:25)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sub 150 half ( pb 151:25)

Sub 23:30 5k ( pb 23:45)

Sub 4 marathon ( although not sure if will actually do one yet )

Race more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have some goals but they don't all have to be met in 2022, for now these are lifetime running goals.

• Sub 22min 5k
    • Sub 1:45 HM
    • 3:45 marathon

Underpinning all of this is staying healthy, injury free & motivated to get out and run most days, week in week out, month in month out.

I hope 2022 is a good running year for all of us 🤞

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

For me

1. Get consistent running in for the year, move it up from 3 times per week to 5 a week
    2. Daily mini S&C sessions, even bought a mat that fits in the little 4 walls here so I bake it into the day
    3. Would like to get to 1,000 miles for the first time, 750 for the last 2 years
    4. Run DCM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nothing other than getting back to running 6 days consistently, I’m suffering with a knee ailment of some kind at the moment so need to tred very carefully for a while till that sorts itself out.

No time goals or target races at the moment as everything is canceled for the time being here in The Netherlands.

I might look at the Amsterdam marathon in October but that depends on how soon I get over this niggle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'd like to be able to run again, no targets or pace, just running regularly. I have signed up for the Mallow 10 mile at the end of March so completing that will be a goal, if it's a combination of running & walking, that's okay with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Took up running after 40 years in June.

1.Sub 24.00 5k

2.Sub 51.00 10k

3.Run 1000 miles.

4.Maybe attempt a half marathon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Been fairly quiet for a while but I’ll chip in here.

I’ve been plagued with a groin injury for 10 months with a few false dawns. I’ve knocked the PT on the head for a while because an injury/niggle lasting that long simply doesn’t justify it.

For now I’m not too sure of goal times I just want to get a programme under my belt and make a start line. I’ll know more in a month in terms of how I’m shaping but I think there’s still decent speed in the legs.

Anyhow, gold is sub 2.50, silver sub 2.55 and bronze sub 3.

A year where I can say I’ve returned to racing would be most welcome.

As an add on I’d like to record a training log once I get going at it again. There’s something so theraputic about documenting it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

My only goal this year is to train consistently which means being as injury free as possible. If I can do that I know good things will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Not too dissimilar to last year but priorities changed a little and the bar gets set a wee bit higher. Feels a bit greedy making a fresh wish list so soon after Santy's been but anyway -

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates.
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57)
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08)
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46)
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles)
    6. Train a bit smarter
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59)
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58)
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I do this every year and then forget about it until mid-year. I find it nice to come back as see when the running mindset was back in Jan and what can be crossed off... Most of my goals are Time related but thats what keeps me ticking :)

1. A few sub 19:30 min 5K's.
    2. Run in the National Road Relays. This is not about time, but in a team and the F***ing nerves on the days and hours before...
    3. Sub 12 2 mile.
    4. A sub 32:10 5 mile. I Will miss the Raheny 5 unfortunitly, but maybe Dunboyne in May will be back this year and I can have a blast at it then.
    5. Sub 66 10 mile. Kilbeggan ? Race series ?
    6. Sub 1:29 Half. Surprise myself in hitting this in Fairyhouse last year, and loved the course. If the weather plays ball, will give this a go again in 22.
    7. Run Dublin Marathon. Depending on Training, it could be a "Jog and High five fest" or sub 3:1??, if the trainig is golden.

Generally, keep running strongly (give my age), and have the banter with the lads after the sessions / logs runs that have been a stalward during Covid.

Post a bit more on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

The plan for the year is to mainly to consistent not planning on racing much at all but have a few plans and just aim to keep running and see where I go.

1. Stay injury free and keep training with the club
    2. Sub 40 min 5 mile in the first half of the year .
    3. Finish a half marathon no target time. (mid year)
    4. Finish Dublin Marathon.
    5. Sub 23 5k Autumn
    6. Run one XC Master race .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Log more Running than other stuff!

A Marathon is realistically out and I ticked the 10k box last year. Assuming I can get back running, a half marathon would be good. Being fit to actually run hard would be quite fulfilling. I've beaten my 30s self over 5k, 10k and the marathon. The half still hangs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Tu run for at least 15 mins on every day of 2022 - only exception for illness (not injury).

Unless you've done something like this before, this could drive you mad. I know a lad who did 10k a day for a year and near the end the pressure he had on himself was unreal.

Just don't drive yourself mad is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's a good point that goes to the heart of appropriate target setting.

My challenge is that I have some biomechanical issues which cause me overuse injuries quite quickly. I've been doing a lot of work with various fitness professionals to try and get myself in a position to run again and I can now run for small amounts of time again. The thing is that I used to run quite a lot and frankly 15 mins seems like a very short time to be active when you factor in getting ready and sorting yourself out after however it's where I am and as I've told many other people you have to start from where you are not from where you wish you were.

The goal is a commitment to consistency rather than any great physical challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Like a few others the goal is just to get back into regular running. If I can keep to 3/4 days a week and hit around 600 miles I’ll be pretty happy. There’s a few time goals in the background, but nothing major. The consistency will take care of them and if I can get a year in the bag I can think about more serious goals.

Main focus will by 5k/10k type training and might do a half if things are going ok. First goal is a parkrun in 2 weeks time to see exactly where things are at. I’ll have about 12 weeks back at that stage (although starting from a very low base with one with a big zero along the way and only hitting 15-20 mile weeks now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Just to complete the DCM without feeling overly baked. I've two young kids who demand a lot and it heavily restricts the timeframes within which I can train. Last time I did a marathon (2017 & pre-kids) I had a time target that went out the window after a broken ankle 10 weeks before the marathon. I still completed the DCM and chased (and missed) that target time but felt rough after. Every year since done at least one half-marathon at a slow-but-manageable level of around 2hrs. If I can just finish the DCM this time without being in bits, I'll be thrilled.

Two ticked off all ready and I feel I'm doing a good job listening to my body.

Seville - 3'25

Marlay Parkrun - 19'19

The mile I'll save for later and I'm currently ahead on mileage. I'd like to add a new goal and it might seem silly but not to me. I feel I'm in good shape but I've been to around this mark before, the problem is I don't kick on.

I'm sick of falling back down the ladder, only to work hard to get to the same place again. So that's it, to punch through the ceiling and find a new level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

For me, the goal this year is simple;

to not get injured and keep the consistency going

Of course in doing so, I hope I can have a good craic at some regular racing over the course of the year but I'd love to get to the far side of the summer with some speed back in the legs - which will only happen if I back off if\when required and don't break

5 months into the year.

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates. Done. Not really a medal man but I've managed to collect a few Masters medals
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57). Kind of done. My 1,500 race time translates to a 4:47 mile.
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08). Just the one race at the National Indoor Masters. 2:11 for a 3rd place. A tactical race so could have run a little faster that day. Probably not near 2:05 though.
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46). No runs yet.
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles). Currently behind a little.
    6. Train a bit smarter. Nice arbitrary one. I'll have to wait until the end of the year to make a call on this.
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59). 16:31 at the Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5 km. Not sure how well earned that time was but brute ignorance got me there in the last km.
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58) - Nothing yet and no races planned yet.
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58). 59:56(chip time) at the Trim 10 Mile. I can still see the clock clicking to 59:59 when I went under.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Just a few comments.. No. 2 Nobody here is giving you a a mile time based off of a 1500m result, no way! 🤣 And number 7 means that number 8 is a pretty soft target 🤩

Well done on the targets so far. I finished just ahead of ya in the Bob Heffernan (16:27), you must have been able to smell my fear as I oozed misery all over the roads in the final km 😅

No. I guess I'll be having to run a mile 😆

I saw the name on the results but wasn't sure if that was you or that Diablo fella. I didn't smell a thing as I wasn't breathing for that last km myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

@Dubh Geannain August 3rd there is a 1 mile race in the Dublin graded meet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Training or lack there of have prevented me from hitting any of the (lofty) goals I set for myself back in Jan. Covid, Hamstring, Phunomia, and various strains all put pay to a solid traing block similar to 2020, and 2021. Total run volume well down on prev years at this point. Anyway :-

1. 19:36 and 2nd on the "Good Run" Easter Charity 5K St Annes about best 5K performance. Also a few 19:3X and up on various local park runs, when ever I want to hurt.
    2. Done, got on the B team, but finished no where. Strong showing from many of the other M50 teams.
    3. Summer Series 2 miler - 12:14 best so far.
    4. Missed Raheny 5 as mentioned above, and was injured for 3 weeks before Dunboyne, but did push and finished in 33:28.
    5. Registered for Kilbeggan and on Aug 09. Will give it a good go. Did run Clontarf 10m and finished in 66:36, Great race very happy.
    6. Half, Ran 1:35 in Bohermeen, but did that as a time trial with Mark rathe that an all out...
    7. Just started the DCM training block. Hopefully sub 3:20 still on the cards.

Closing in on 2,300 miles

Ran 3'25 in Seville and 3'18 in Valencia. Knocked 19 minutes in total off my PB from 2008.

Ran 18'35 at Marlay Parkrun.

Never got to do the mile and don't really see it happening in December.

Done ok listening to the body, I'm the best sleeper ever, good protein intake and getting better at pre and post session carb intake. Not great at listening to the niggles, have a sore heel for at least last 6 months.

Also st 10k & half marathon PBs but not exactly the number I wanted.

Currently at the airport contemplating a sub 40 attempt on the track tomorrow morning. The only thing stopping me are the Olympic standard athletes who've taken it over based on the tracks Instagram page.

Really excited for 2023, and a few lofty goals being formed.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

1. A good marathon block and got the consistency in. Was up at 5 days per week from around May time. Tailed off after DCM but building again
    2. I was good until April and then it fell off, I'm looking at the matt and the kettle bell with dust on it as we speak. Next year
    3. Ran over 1,000 miles this year for the first time ever. 2,100km's on the clock today. I think I even had a 10 day running streak.
    4. Done, had a good run :-)

Also I got a 5K PB (official sub 20 for the first time) 10K in a HM and 2 x HM PB's. Not a bad year all round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

I think it’s the first year in a long time I haven’t set a PB in any running distances.

I dunno maybe I’m starting to slow down. I wanted sub 3 in the Marathon this year, which wouldn’t have even been a PB, but only managed 3:06 or something close to that.

I think I’m a long way off my official PBs, maybe I’ve reached my peak and have to start accepting those days are behind me. I suppose I could consider age grade PBs but they don’t really motivate me.

Have even considered maybe going back doing Triathlons which I gave up about 5 years ago. In a way they are actually easier on the body as I would spend most of the time training the swim and bike and it’s not really a PB focused sport like running can be.

I do have Manchester in April so will go for sub 3 there, but after that I dunno. Probably in a bit of a slump at the moment and finding it hard to get motivated or excited about much really.

Sorry to bring the mood of the thread down! Just the way I’m feeling at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

When I consider where I was when I wrote this I absolutely smashed my goals! 2:50:02 and 2:48:09 marathons and 2300 plus miles run this year to date. Niggled again now and I don’t really have a plan for 2023… and I’m ok with that!

1 - No. Didnt run a 5k race tbf

2 - Yes. 40:50

3 - Yes. 3:39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

1. Success. 2.58 debut marathon in Limerick

2. Fail. The Summer ended up taking a different direction . No serious 5k or 10k attempts.

3. Training has been fairly consistent. I'm desperately trying to hit the 2600 mile mark by end of the year. Still down on the 2800 but that's ok.

4. Sub 1.21 in December. Was delighted with how I ran. Probably my best run race. Not a pb but a difficult route. Happy.

Overall a decent year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Fail, fail & fail.

Had one marathon and it was a 3'02, didn't attempt to go sub 3.

1,237 miles this year, severely hampered by injury would've got to 1,500 - 1,700 without that.

Think I posted 3 or 4 updates.

Really disappointed looking at that in writing!

Don't be disappointed with an 8 min PB over a marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lost4Life

Unfortunately I didn’t post goals at the beginning of 2022, however wanted to reflect on a decent year before resetting in a 2023 thread.

*2022 goals: Updated*

Aim 1: ‘3k: 9.10-9.13 (track)’

2022 Actual: 9.18. Didn’t quite hit the lofty heights set out, however nice improvement from 9.28 in 2021. Didn’t attempt this race after track season finished in summer.

Aim 2: ‘5k: sub 16.’

2022 Actual: 15.59. Six attempts, all floating in around the low 16 mark, and finally achieved this goal in November. Enjoyed crossing the line for this one!

Aim 3: ‘10k: sub 34 later in the year.’

2022 Actual: 33.45. A solid post XC training block in early 2022 ensured I achieved this goal in April 2022. A nice improvement on 34.14.

Aim 4: ‘XC: Improve on last years times/performances’

2022 Actual: XC wasn’t prepped for correctly for the early races, however great to be on the ‘22 senior county winning team (first snr club title in 13 years).

Summary:

Looking back on the 2021 comments, I definitely stuck to my guns. Easy runs easy, on grass. Good sessions, always in the company of others, as much as possible. Rarely did speed sessions alone. Trained with those quicker than myself. Stayed patient in regard to goals - especially on the 5k distance. The time came when I didn’t put pressure on myself. It was always going to be tricky to improve from where I was end 2021 - however staying injury free was very important, good coaching and plenty of recovery.

New learning from 2022: listen to the body - you don’t always have to run for the sake of it (especially when fatigued).

Will need to think about 2023 goals over the next week or so, and shall remember to post this time! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got the sub 3:20 (Chicago), did the cross country (Dublin Masters + 2 BHAA), got the 10-mile PB (John Treacy). Did not attempt a 5k. Had one or two PB pacees at parkrun during the year.

Four out of five ain't bad, I suppose! 😀

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates. Done a few. Won some individual and team medals.
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57). 4:35 at the Griffith Avenue Mile. Decision made to retire my log off the back of this.
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08). A few races this year (and one TT) The Best I manged was a 2:10. The days when I was in peak shape for a proper crack the races ended up being tactical. I'm not sure I was ever in 2:05 shape but would really like to have matched 2:08.
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46). No attempts. I did run a 9:53 one day training where I was only aiming to go under 10.
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles).  1,459 miles
    6. Train a bit smarterI did put myself in good shape for two target races this year and avoided injury with some PBs thrown in. But I also ran a couple of other races without tapering properly too. In particular the Trim 10 mile. I'll give myself a half point on this
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59). 16:31 at the Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5 km.
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58) - A softish target and didn't need to go to the well for 35:43 in a TT.
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58). 59:56(chip time) at the Trim 10 Mile.

6.5 / 9 and I can't complain about the 3 k as I never gave it a decent go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Didn’t do any of this - well barely ran at all in 2022. Finished the year well though with a 23:50 5k with very low mileage under the belt so a good confidence boost for 2023. I’ll copy and paste for 2023 goals so no thinking involved 🤪

• Advertisement
Advertisement