Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2022 Targets

• 31-12-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

This is the place to nail your colours to the mast.

1. Run a sub3 marathon in a genuine race. In the past couple of years, I’ve done it in a virtual, so this should be achievable hopefully.
    2. Run a PB. The 5k PB I have of 17:25 is probably the lowest hanging fruit, but I haven’t raced 5k in years. Half and full marathon probably out of sight, so I’ll have to enter a 5k.
    3. Run at least 100 miles per month. 2021 was the first time I’ve ever managed to achieve this goal, and I reckon having it as a target helps motivation year round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭marathon2022

+ 2,000 miles would be the most important to me, most of my plans are long-term. I'm 50 next year so I will keep my powder dry till then(5k/10k/Half/full/50 mile)

CCC 2025 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just to get consistent running in for 2022.

After that its a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Tu run for at least 15 mins on every day of 2022 - only exception for illness (not injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭event

Unless you've done something like this before, this could drive you mad. I know a lad who did 10k a day for a year and near the end the pressure he had on himself was unreal.

Just don't drive yourself mad is all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's a good point that goes to the heart of appropriate target setting.

My challenge is that I have some biomechanical issues which cause me overuse injuries quite quickly. I've been doing a lot of work with various fitness professionals to try and get myself in a position to run again and I can now run for small amounts of time again. The thing is that I used to run quite a lot and frankly 15 mins seems like a very short time to be active when you factor in getting ready and sorting yourself out after however it's where I am and as I've told many other people you have to start from where you are not from where you wish you were.

The goal is a commitment to consistency rather than any great physical challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭passinginterest

Like a few others the goal is just to get back into regular running. If I can keep to 3/4 days a week and hit around 600 miles I’ll be pretty happy. There’s a few time goals in the background, but nothing major. The consistency will take care of them and if I can get a year in the bag I can think about more serious goals.

Main focus will by 5k/10k type training and might do a half if things are going ok. First goal is a parkrun in 2 weeks time to see exactly where things are at. I’ll have about 12 weeks back at that stage (although starting from a very low base with one with a big zero along the way and only hitting 15-20 mile weeks now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Just to complete the DCM without feeling overly baked. I've two young kids who demand a lot and it heavily restricts the timeframes within which I can train. Last time I did a marathon (2017 & pre-kids) I had a time target that went out the window after a broken ankle 10 weeks before the marathon. I still completed the DCM and chased (and missed) that target time but felt rough after. Every year since done at least one half-marathon at a slow-but-manageable level of around 2hrs. If I can just finish the DCM this time without being in bits, I'll be thrilled.

Advertisement