Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Targets

• 31-12-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

This is the place to nail your colours to the mast.

1. Run a sub3 marathon in a genuine race. In the past couple of years, I’ve done it in a virtual, so this should be achievable hopefully.
    2. Run a PB. The 5k PB I have of 17:25 is probably the lowest hanging fruit, but I haven’t raced 5k in years. Half and full marathon probably out of sight, so I’ll have to enter a 5k.
    3. Run at least 100 miles per month. 2021 was the first time I’ve ever managed to achieve this goal, and I reckon having it as a target helps motivation year round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Same as every other year, to be alive and still running

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Similar to ThePiedPiper. Infact almost identical.

1. Sub 3 marathon is the goal for May.

2. Hopefully I come through that unscathed at which point I plan on switching back to 5k/10k for the summer with a plan to hopefully improve on my pbs at both distances. Sub 17 and Sub 36 are the goals there.

3. I'd like to maintain or improve on my mileage from this year. So anything around 2800 miles or higher I'll be happy with. Near term plan is to revert back to 6 days a week running until the marathon block ends and then see about switching back to 7 days a week from there.

Wouldn't mind a crack at the HM before end of year, possibly the border half but that's a long way off. My HM pb is probably the best of the lot but it's a few years old at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

For the 1st time, my 2022 goal is exactly this. After the last 3 months, I'm not talking about times or training distances, just delighted to be out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

To be a better person to be kinder more considerate, caring, patient and understanding…

…feck that, sub 3!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

1. Sub 3:35 Marathon. Current PB from Belfast 2021 3:40
    2. Sub 20min 5k. Current PB 21:06 St Anne's Park 2019. Haven't raced a 5k since
    3. 1000 miles for the year. 867 miles in 2021.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To start actually running again. Can't even remember when my last interval or tempo run was, definitely pre-covid, so at least two years!

If I can do that, maybe go crazy and do a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

2,000 miles

Sub 3'30 at Seville Marathon

Sub 20 at Marlay Parkrun

5'3? Mile

Continue to listen to the body's feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Sub-3:20 marathon (Chicago)
    • At least two cross country races, starting with Dublin Masters
    • 10-mile PB
    • Another sub-20 5k
    • Pace someone to a PB (any distance, mile to marathon)

Would be more than happy with all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Sub 3 hour marathon (current PB 3.10:20)
    • 2,000 miles for the year (1,800 this year)
    • Post a weekly blog update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

+ 2,000 miles would be the most important to me, most of my plans are long-term. I'm 50 next year so I will keep my powder dry till then(5k/10k/Half/full/50 mile)

CCC 2025 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just to get consistent running in for 2022.

After that its a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭event

Sub 20min 5k (PB 20:22)

Sub 42min 10k (PB 42:33)

Sub 3:40 Marathon (PB 3:41:25)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sub 150 half ( pb 151:25)

Sub 23:30 5k ( pb 23:45)

Sub 4 marathon ( although not sure if will actually do one yet )

Race more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have some goals but they don't all have to be met in 2022, for now these are lifetime running goals.

• Sub 22min 5k
    • Sub 1:45 HM
    • 3:45 marathon

Underpinning all of this is staying healthy, injury free & motivated to get out and run most days, week in week out, month in month out.

I hope 2022 is a good running year for all of us 🤞

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

For me

1. Get consistent running in for the year, move it up from 3 times per week to 5 a week
    2. Daily mini S&C sessions, even bought a mat that fits in the little 4 walls here so I bake it into the day
    3. Would like to get to 1,000 miles for the first time, 750 for the last 2 years
    4. Run DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nothing other than getting back to running 6 days consistently, I’m suffering with a knee ailment of some kind at the moment so need to tred very carefully for a while till that sorts itself out.

No time goals or target races at the moment as everything is canceled for the time being here in The Netherlands.

I might look at the Amsterdam marathon in October but that depends on how soon I get over this niggle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'd like to be able to run again, no targets or pace, just running regularly. I have signed up for the Mallow 10 mile at the end of March so completing that will be a goal, if it's a combination of running & walking, that's okay with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Took up running after 40 years in June.

1.Sub 24.00 5k

2.Sub 51.00 10k

3.Run 1000 miles.

4.Maybe attempt a half marathon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Been fairly quiet for a while but I’ll chip in here.

I’ve been plagued with a groin injury for 10 months with a few false dawns. I’ve knocked the PT on the head for a while because an injury/niggle lasting that long simply doesn’t justify it.

For now I’m not too sure of goal times I just want to get a programme under my belt and make a start line. I’ll know more in a month in terms of how I’m shaping but I think there’s still decent speed in the legs.

Anyhow, gold is sub 2.50, silver sub 2.55 and bronze sub 3.

A year where I can say I’ve returned to racing would be most welcome.

As an add on I’d like to record a training log once I get going at it again. There’s something so theraputic about documenting it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭token56

My only goal this year is to train consistently which means being as injury free as possible. If I can do that I know good things will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Not too dissimilar to last year but priorities changed a little and the bar gets set a wee bit higher. Feels a bit greedy making a fresh wish list so soon after Santy's been but anyway -

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates.
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57)
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08)
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46)
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles)
    6. Train a bit smarter
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59)
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58)
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I do this every year and then forget about it until mid-year. I find it nice to come back as see when the running mindset was back in Jan and what can be crossed off... Most of my goals are Time related but thats what keeps me ticking :)

1. A few sub 19:30 min 5K's.
    2. Run in the National Road Relays. This is not about time, but in a team and the F***ing nerves on the days and hours before...
    3. Sub 12 2 mile.
    4. A sub 32:10 5 mile. I Will miss the Raheny 5 unfortunitly, but maybe Dunboyne in May will be back this year and I can have a blast at it then.
    5. Sub 66 10 mile. Kilbeggan ? Race series ?
    6. Sub 1:29 Half. Surprise myself in hitting this in Fairyhouse last year, and loved the course. If the weather plays ball, will give this a go again in 22.
    7. Run Dublin Marathon. Depending on Training, it could be a "Jog and High five fest" or sub 3:1??, if the trainig is golden.

Generally, keep running strongly (give my age), and have the banter with the lads after the sessions / logs runs that have been a stalward during Covid.

Post a bit more on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

The plan for the year is to mainly to consistent not planning on racing much at all but have a few plans and just aim to keep running and see where I go.

1. Stay injury free and keep training with the club
    2. Sub 40 min 5 mile in the first half of the year .
    3. Finish a half marathon no target time. (mid year)
    4. Finish Dublin Marathon.
    5. Sub 23 5k Autumn
    6. Run one XC Master race .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Log more Running than other stuff!

A Marathon is realistically out and I ticked the 10k box last year. Assuming I can get back running, a half marathon would be good. Being fit to actually run hard would be quite fulfilling. I've beaten my 30s self over 5k, 10k and the marathon. The half still hangs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Tu run for at least 15 mins on every day of 2022 - only exception for illness (not injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭event

Unless you've done something like this before, this could drive you mad. I know a lad who did 10k a day for a year and near the end the pressure he had on himself was unreal.

Just don't drive yourself mad is all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's a good point that goes to the heart of appropriate target setting.

My challenge is that I have some biomechanical issues which cause me overuse injuries quite quickly. I've been doing a lot of work with various fitness professionals to try and get myself in a position to run again and I can now run for small amounts of time again. The thing is that I used to run quite a lot and frankly 15 mins seems like a very short time to be active when you factor in getting ready and sorting yourself out after however it's where I am and as I've told many other people you have to start from where you are not from where you wish you were.

The goal is a commitment to consistency rather than any great physical challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Like a few others the goal is just to get back into regular running. If I can keep to 3/4 days a week and hit around 600 miles I’ll be pretty happy. There’s a few time goals in the background, but nothing major. The consistency will take care of them and if I can get a year in the bag I can think about more serious goals.

Main focus will by 5k/10k type training and might do a half if things are going ok. First goal is a parkrun in 2 weeks time to see exactly where things are at. I’ll have about 12 weeks back at that stage (although starting from a very low base with one with a big zero along the way and only hitting 15-20 mile weeks now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Just to complete the DCM without feeling overly baked. I've two young kids who demand a lot and it heavily restricts the timeframes within which I can train. Last time I did a marathon (2017 & pre-kids) I had a time target that went out the window after a broken ankle 10 weeks before the marathon. I still completed the DCM and chased (and missed) that target time but felt rough after. Every year since done at least one half-marathon at a slow-but-manageable level of around 2hrs. If I can just finish the DCM this time without being in bits, I'll be thrilled.

Advertisement