Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just rewatched the Korobov fight, bring a tear to a glass eye, shame he didnt hang onto the belt longer, but you cant take the achievement away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

On Parker yea lot of tools but goes to sleep in every fight. Any time he takes a shot to the body he shows too much gum shield for me. Chisora really confused him heading for the corners.

lee is very likeable yea. The Jackson fight is one of my favourites ever. Super finish and the hand up right after he felt the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Del should have not been allowed head for corners.

He was clearly showing a reluctance to fight:engage. That is against the spirit of the sport. And I wouldn’t buy the argument of him defending.

Had the ref waved it off I would have no issues. It reeked of quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Chisora is such a difficult lad to place in terms of the top 20 isn't he? Like he wouldn't beat any of the top 5 and maybe top 10. On the other hand he would give any one of them a very hard nights work and not just be blasted out of there like Washington etc. I read an article, I think on BBC sport which was saying it was really a pity Chisora never got another title shot after Vitali. At first I thought that was crazy as he could never quite get to show he was world level. On the other hand lots of people like Washington got a shot at both Wilder and then Joshua and they were far less deserving of title shots than Chisora. I guess the issue is he just sat consistently in the top 20 without really challenging for top 5. Would you call him a gatekeeper to the top 5?

I agree about Parker needing to fight someone higher up to keep climbing up. If you keep fighting lads your own level there is no hype about the quality of opponents improving and no reason for a title holder to accept a challenge.

Could Hughie Fury end up a top dog in the division yet? To be fair to him he's very young to have fought who he has fought. They pretty much accepted any fight he got and never made an effort to protect his 0 just to build him up like a Sky hype train "Undefeated" etc. He came up short against a few very good lads but seems to continuously progress to be fair!

The day Hughie Fury becomes a top dog in any division is the day I resign from boxing!

• Advertisement

Yup especially since he did it all three times. The ref did say to him to engage. His body language was a bit like Joshua against Ruiz. He wasn’t as out of it though.

Good point yea. He’s well down the order yet troublesome against very high level. He was 10 years too late really putting it in which is a pity. When he got the European title shot Pulev beat him in 2nd gear. So he never really got that big win to take him to title shots. I think you mihght mean Molina he fought both and Breazele. Two clowns in that company. He fought Whyte twice and lost both and the standout fights are Takam and Spilzka where he won (excuse all my spelling errors). He’s something of a gatekeeper but beating him isn’t anything that certain that a fighter is top top level either.

Yea that’s the thing for Parker. Plenty of room for him if he wants it. Wouldn’t rule out him holding a belt again. But equally see him falling down the order either.

Jaysus I doubt it on Hughie. He’s ok like and wiley and will cause lots of problems but he always looks like a poor man’s Tyson when Tyson wasn’t that good. Anyone high level has beaten him even if the Parker one was a poor call IMO. I still fancy too many lads to beat him though

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

You are right my apologies, I thought Washington fought both Wilder and Joshua but it was Molina and Breazeale spot on. Just thinking about your comment that Chisora was 10 years too late really putting in the effort. It's a good point. To be fair after he lost to Klitschko he was given a fight against Haye, a former champion. If he was to seriously get another shot at a title then I guess he would have had to beat the likes of Haye to put himself back in the mix.

As for Hughie, I was probably being a bit lose saying top dog but I meant could he end up top 5? Like he's so young that in 4-5 years time when Joshua, Fury, Wilder, Ortiz(Presumably as he'll be 55 years old :P ) Povetkin, Pulev, Whyte +/- Usyk are all probably retired. Hughie will be the most experienced around by then. Not saying he's great but things could open up for him a bit there and he will only be in his early 30's. Maybe by then Canelo will have reached HW though? :)

Haha great post!! Yea there was nothing wrong with the losses to Fury or Vitalai. The Haye fight he was pretty dreadful. Heavy and cumbersome following Haye around. Haye was very talented though and the speed killed. He was still on his game at that point. I think the Pulev fight really held him up. Pulev breezed him. It was SD but I remember watching it and I didn’t think Chisora deserved a round. There’s a SD against Helenius as well I don’t remember that fight so if you add the 2 Whyte fights that were very close had he come out on the right side of those it’s a very different conversation. To qualify that he could well have ended up KO’d by Takam too. For his ability which I feel is very limited he has been in some great fights against stars. Had he beaten Pulev he likely would have had a shot at Joshua as well. And he’d have no fear there. If he went after it who knows he has good heart.

On Hughie you’re spot on yea. Those boys will have moved on and he will or should still be there. It’s hard to see that in those 5 years no one will overtake him though. Top 5 though as you say is realistic and that could mean some big title fights too. But, his best win might well be Hammar? Am I forgetting someone? I guess it should be Parker but it isn’t. He had a chance to fihght Whyte and passed it up which may have been sensible at the time. He’s won his last couple of fights so he would need to kick on I think. Would he beat Dubois, Yoka, this Anderson fella? One thing about him he’s very slippery but he doesn’’t have power to burn to scare the best lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Like the prospect of a Ruiz v Fury fight and it could do good business. I don't think I'd cross the road to watch him fight Helenius sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Thought Ruiz vs Wilder was in negotiations?

Ruiz Fury is one worth the watch yea. Didn’t Ruiz have knee surgery? Maybe he’s recovered bow. Helenius I like but Fury would just eat him. Mismatch.

I see Charles Martin is fighting Ortiz tomorrow. At least we’ll know after that. Watched Martin Washington last night again. Two donkeys lunging about, any decent counter puncher would have ironed either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Think Fury would take Ruiz fairly comfortably, but he could trouble more or less any of the other top contenders on his day. Looked a lot fitter for his last fight, hope he builds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

got to love the wbc for ordering 80:20 split for fury whyte, delighted for hearn. Crap he pays fighters when they fighting aj, he was talking 55:45 at start of the month.

Emm I dunno. Fury has struggled more with smaller opposition before so it would go to how well he’d keep Ruiz away. Think Fury on points though but a test if Ruiz could be trusted to be in shape (which would be an issue for both). I think it would be entertaining.

A 20% split for Whyte is still an enormous amount of money for him AND he gets a shot at 3 belts. He should still be mad for that. Is he worth an awful lot more? A couple of decent wins and no better than that, never fought in USA, numerous drug issues. He’s not a global draw that attracts boxing and non-boxing fans.

I think fury is using his physical attributes better and hitting harder then ever so would deal with smaller opponents better nowadays. Whytes only hope is to keep going to the body, nobody really tries that against fury, we knw he has v good chin now so the body may be a better avenue for success.

You make an interesting point lad. He is definately hitting harder and fighting more aggressively albeit using only 2 fights to really guage that against the same guy who he knew he had the beating of. Wilder began jabbing to the body (without real conviction) and it did have some effect on Fury. The plan I think was right but Wilder wasn’t able to execute it and use it well or often enough but he was outmatched in other more significant areas there.

Whyte would certainly have to take the fight to Fury and a body assault could be helpful. But I’d say his face would take a pounding doing so. For him to win a second rate Fury needs to turn up and that’s something I have a haunch we will see in the next fight or two, especially if his opponent isn’t Joshua or Usyk. Fury has great spirit and recovery ability along with great mental strength/will to win, but as far as chins go he can be hurt and dropped and Ruiz or /Whuyte would both be capable of doing that.

Yeah reckon whyte would go all out early but would be stopped after 7. Reckon fury is looking at 3 more fights and off into the sunset so not sure if he will be complacent again. Yeah tbf most if not all heavyweights can be hurt but most do not recover like fury. Usyk beats joshua, aj will have to face wilder and if he lost those 2, he wont be getting a shot at fury. If somebody still says fury needs Joshua for his legacy if aj got bet in both of those - i give up.

I’d rather see Ruiz/Fury from a boxing/style sense than Fury/Whyte

`yeah fury/whyte will be a grappling match

• Advertisement

Id have much more respect for him going all out from the off rather than being cagey which is a certain path to nowhere. Yea it’s possible but the chips were doing agains Wallin and he very nearly paid the price. Lot of doctors wouldn’t have allowed that fight to continue. But anyway, if Joshua went after Usyk he could very well beat him. If he boxes him Usyk is much better at that. Don’t forget that by round 8 or so that fight was still in the balance. Even after 10 there was nothign sure but Joshua was spent in the first 45 seconds of Round 11. If Usyk settles more into the weight then he could be too good for Joshua again and more than him. I think Fury needs more for his legacy the Joshua bit is changable. Depends if he’s to go down as good or great. If he’s retired at 35 undefeated then good not great for me.

Really?! I’m surprised at that prediction. Martin has very little defense. I think both of them have only been in 3 fights to go the distance out of around 30 or so after a quick check. I think Ortiz will puck the head off him. I’m thinking ko in about 5 or 6. Only doubt i have is that time may have caught up with Ortiz and I’m not sure he can still take a punch.

On legacy, no matter what fury does, some wont consider him great because its hasnt been the greatest era. Fury can only beat whats in front of him. I dont see the point in boxing until his 40. to remain undefeated in any heavyweight era would be a major achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good fight yea. It may well get a mention on the lesser known great fights thread! Martin was well improved but the limitations remain his footwork is shocking and he’s so lazy throwing single shots. Ortiz did most of the good work and did well to come back from the KDs. If the Fury fight doesn’t materialise for him then Whyte will zone in on Ortiz now that it’s clear his legs are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

That Faust / Kiladze fight sure was wild!

I do think though that it shouldn't have been stopped when it was.

Here did you guys see this from the other night? I think 2 days before the fight

https://twitter.com/__iammalik__/status/1476747643619622912?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He got himself stuck in a scrap I think 2 days out from his fight with Ortiz. At least that’s what I took from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Advertisement