Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Land Commission/Ownership over time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Property rights

The Constitution declares that the State will vindicate the property rights of every citizen. This means that you have a right to own, transfer and inherit property. You also have the right to bequeath property upon your death. The State guarantees to pass no law to abolish these rights.

Article 43 acknowledges that these rights ought to be regulated by the principles of social justice. This means that the State may pass laws limiting your right to private property in the interests of the common good. The most common form of limitation is taxation on ownership, transfer and inheritance.

Other examples of restrictions or limitations on your right to own property include town and regional planning, protection of national monuments, compulsory acquisition of land.

If the State passes a law that otherwise restricts your property rights, it may be required to compensate you for this restriction.

^^^Those are our property rights in this Republic. Basically you've a right to property but if the government public good want it more..we'll take it.

Are those not enshrined? Is that not what your disagreement is with the direction land discussion is heading in this country?

Apologies for broadening your knowledge of Princess Anne. 🙂

I shall need a request of which knowledge you wish to possess for future engagements.🤓

It's the interpretation of "appropriate" that's the real discussion. Our private property rights, which I was already depressingly familiar with, aren't worth a toss, for the very reasons you outlined.

In another republic, across the Atlantic, they do appear to have more appropriate private property rights, in that their version of designations "America the Beautiful" (formerly 30 x 30) can't be foisted upon a landowner without their consent.

Apology accepted and you may forward future discussion documents to a member of my team 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

If you go back a few generations id say the ancestors of a fair amount of the ppl that post on here would have gained ownership of their land from the land commission. Before that a lot of farmers had a landlord and no real security

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The good old free state didn’t believe in landlordism but had no aversion to land rates!

Different times. Those were times of war with the threat of people being shot. The threat of loss of life does tend to influence a government.

I'm not advocating violence merely stating the situations.

We're not in a generation of violence anymore and a bit away from the world wars and civil and independence wars.

Do you think if a western Monarchy country or province became a Republic nowadays or joined to an existing Republic, land ownership would change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

With the exception one family in our locality, all the holdings that were created by the land commission have sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was the commission in the 20’s, did something else happen in the 70’s? Where fans were sold here and the families moved to Meath/Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My father was trying to buy land here in the nineteen fifties and there was a protest march against it up by the house.

A good few were resettled here in westmeath from the west of Ireland then too, I think they got farms of about 40 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Allot of families were able to extend holdings here because of of it

Its an interesting topic. It would be very interesting to see what would happen to the massive landed estates if scotland got independence.

• Advertisement

Started in 1923 and ended in 1960's as far as i know.

When mayo were in the all ireland last year there was heaps of mayo flags up around here lol. They have all stayed here.

Nothing would happen them.

You and I know what rules now is money. And money dictates policy.

You can see all these environmental groups set up in Ireland. They're ngo's but set themselves up with government money and private sponsorship. It's the private sponsorship that dictates what they lobby for.

It's full blown open in the UK and just creeping in here. What they call for is more wilderness which the big estates and landlords can provide. So they'll go along with that, even support them as it's a means to an end. Of course the big multinationals are delighted as it allows them to buy estates and carbon offset themselves and be holier than thou while they themselves probably fund the ngo's and if Common Agricultural Policy money now comes to fund the wilderness estates so much the better. Job done.

All win except who the Common Agricultural Policy was originally set up for.

It's not a great future imo. But is to others with full pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

And it's the original small holder tenant farmers that have expanded buying up the holdings.

Those land commission holdings were sold by the third generation - who were well educated - and are now doing exceptionally well. A system that was of its time and worked out very well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Still in existence.

Just called "Lands" now, and based in the Dept Ag. buildings in Cavan Town.

Still control quite a large area of land that is still in State ownership, but the bulk of its work is now centered on land disputes, rights of way, legal cases going back decades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I stand corrected but did the Land Commission also allocate land to "foreigners" (mostly displaced Belgium/Dutch farmers) after the Second World War?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The home place is the same land, down to the acre of what we had in the 1850s in the Griffith valuations.

Now, in 1850, we were renting off some local landlord.

When would it have come into our possession properly?

This was what seemed to happen down our way - in our town land I would say maybe half of the same families still have the same farms…

But I know up around the missus place, people seemed to get fields all over the place, I think from the land commission. Not sure how it was all worked out…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

De valera brought in legislation which meant that the farmers at the time went to bed as tenants and woke up in morning as landowners. The Brits had to borrow huge amounts of money to pay back the landlords for their losses. This money was borrowed over such a long timeframe it will never really be paid back in reality. That's how government debt and bonds work.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Interesting discussion on land ownership, Did the English give a lot of land to the soldiers after the world war ?

can’t remember but I came across a map somewhere that the higher your ranking in the army you were allocated land in Kilkenny/Carlow/Meath etc for the highest ranking officers and the lower ranking officers were allocated land in Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, depending on how many innocent people they murdered they got rewarded with large estates. People on the land before them had to get out of the way. To hell or to Connaught. People think they have it hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I always wondered about this. What year did DeVelera make this change? The farm where my grandfather was born is across the road from us. In Griffiths Valuation circa (1847 to 1864), the farm is exactly the same as it is today. Same fields, ditches not moved an inch. My great great grandfather or gggg father was listed as a tenant.

I always wondered when he became the legal owner.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭green daries

Yes some smaller estates around here we're given as gifts for service rendered in the army

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most land was bought out under the land acts by tenants from 1860s to early 1900s

Our local area had a lot of landed estates pre 1923. These were all divided up if the landlords were absentee and given to locals or to familys resettled in the area. My great grandfather worked on the only estate in the area who continued to farm as far as i know. Theres an interesting podcast on that estate i listened to lately. They speak of how the estate was given back to the family by the ira and that the ira leader of the time farmed the neighbouring farm.

i found census info for great grandfather lately as being employed their.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

FounD the 1901 and 1911 census form for my Great grand parents. It took we a while to suss them even though I had a lot of the info.

It was as filled out in the King's English in 1901 as clear as day. In 1911 he filled it completely in Irish. Names, address, all the children, whether they could read and write all in Irish.

It brought into focus how the country was radicalised in the early 1900's and why 1916 happened.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I thought it was an agent filled out the census rather than the people themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Have an interest in this topic as my great grandfather was land agent for almost 30 years ,from mid 1870's after he got married until he retired just before WW1 .My grand uncle then got the job and was at it until the estate he worked for was all settled up in the 1930's .He died in 1936 and he was still at that line of work as far as I know when he died .

Landlord had land owned in Kildare ,Carlow ,Laois ,Offaly ,Wicklow ,Mayo and lot more in England . .Grand uncle would have travelled to the UK a good bit on business over the years .

Have one estate rent book here from I think about 1885 or so .Must have a look for it .Remember reading through it (covered maybe 5 years or so )and almost every tenant was from 6 months to 3 years behind on their moities (rent due twice a year ) .Just one eviction mentioned and that was someone who had got a farm a few years previous and had never paid any rent at all .

Lots of 5 pounds allowed off for Pat x for re slating a barn or 3 pounds off for John Y for putting in new windows in his dwelling .Also loans to people ranging from a few pounds up to 500 pounds with payment dates etc .

Not sure which Land Act the farm here was purchased under but must look it up at some stage .Know we were paying annuities longer than neighbours who has a different landlord .Mine finished up when the Gov. decided to end the practice sometime in the late 1980's/early 1990's from memory .Think it was somewhere about 10 pounds a year at the time .They wrote off all the ones under a certain amount I think .Not sure how long ours were due to run .

Anyone remember the "final demand" slips that came in the post .Think they were red coloured .Always thought it amusing that the one and only notice you got was a final demand .

As regards Griffiths Valuation we are still farming the land we had at that time (c.1850 ).On the Tithe Applotment we are farming part of it ,an outfarm where my great great grandfather lived at the time .

Almost every farm hereabouts is similar to Griffiths time .Perhaps 30% would have changed hands whilst others the name would have changed due to marriage or inheritance but same general family .

Land Commission was very much a curates egg type of thing .If you were looking for land then agitation etc was fine and dandy whilst if you had a farm where inheritance was unsure etc etc then it was a communist menace .

Know my 4 grandparents would have had very divergent views on it .One grandfathers side got a few divides .His wife's family bought land before WW1 and when her father died young they had a struggle to keep it .Other grandfathers family my grand aunt farm was taken and divided on the death of her husband in 1950's.Think she got Land Bonds or somesuch worthless stuff for it .There would have been c.70 acres in it and all those who got a divide sold it within 20 years .Was a very very sore subject with my grandfather and his brothers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Same as nowadays ,you filled it out yourself .Literacy rates at the time were much lower so more people would have gotten the census taker to fill it out for them .Same as if you look at Birth Marriage Death Register for late 19th/early 20th century .Perhaps 30% plus are signed with an X and witnessed underneath .

As regards Bass 1901/1911 census see the exact same here with one grandfather .1901 census filled in as normal ,1911 census has just names written in Old Irish script with nothing else ,no occupations ,ages etc filled in .They would have been very involved in Celtic revival ,Irish language etc and actually had Padraig Pearse down to open local hall c.1910 or so .

Advertisement