Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

The neighbour isn't opposite, they're attached.

And if anything, as has been mentioned throughout the thread, noise going through a wallspace can become amplified, not muffled.

But whatever, it's all excuses at this stage.

I really doubt there are many (outside this forum of course) who would be completely unbothered listening to that at 5am every morning.

Normal household sound- and about 10 seconds or so-I could use night rate electricity and use my washing machine as many do- far louder than that when spinning - OP’s neighbour is a crank who resents that they brought a pig in a poke house and can’t move cause he’s too poor - he’s also a control freak and probably is a nightmare to live with

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I guess the neighbour should have bought a house suitable for precious people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Noise travels differently at night. Look up refraction.

Very little background sounds to drown out the grinding too, so no matter how good the walls are, the noise will travel if you have the machine in anyway near the partition wall.

Two things can alleviate the noise.

1. Move the machine away from the partition wall. If it's your standard layout, move it to the other side of the sink.

2. Place a cushioning item underneath the machine. This will mean substantially less vibration. One item I'd look at is a pet cooling mat - relatively flat and contains gel.

Yet it was loud enough for him to raise the subject with you.

You started the thread asking if it was acceptable or not, in my view, and from some others here, its not, but you obviously had your mind made up - or only wanted to hear that it was okay.

Now, you can decide to ignore him and go with everyone here telling you its okay to do whatever you like, hes a crank, blah blah blah, its no skin of my nose. I'm not your neighbour.

You're the one who'll have to live beside him after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

In fairness he has done something, using a towel to buffer the noise etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NM

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Probably no point, @[Deleted User] has concluded that grinding the night before is the only solution and nothing else will do,She's mentioned it on more than one occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can you move the machine to a different wall? Is it against the party wall now?

I have a Sage Barista too and it's not that loud, I wouldn't even notice the noise in other rooms. Moving it might do the trick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Set the machine on a bit of foam. Put some foam at the back of it. Even surrounding it in cardboard or making a temporary tent of a thick towel would greatly diminish the sound.

Reality though? Your neighbor is a ponce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You know you’ve lost the argument when you’ve to revert to that 🙃😘

Don’t worry, you might find someone, someday.

It's been pointed out already ear plugs and young kids not the smartest idea.

@Mr.S

If you had actually bothered to read the thread properly, you will have noted that several people, not just myself, pointed out that the neighbour probably mentioned the microwave door slamming, to emphasise to the OP just how much noise he can hear coming from the OPs kitchen.

You must also have missed that the OPs neighbour is the parent of 3 small children who sometimes wake at night, so earplugs are not an option when you have young children to listen out for.

You're also projecting that just because the neighbour has complained about the newly acquired coffee grinder, that he will find other things to complain about. If there was an issue with the *insert boiler / pump / shower / car door/ here* before now, why didn't he complained already?

On the rest, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't agree that grinding coffee beans at 5am is a normal household thing. 5am is still the middle of the night to some people.

I guess its a good thing we're not neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Ear plugs do not block crying kids or smoke alarms.

They are designed not to block higher frequency sounds which include human cry and smoke alarms.

Hence no issues wearing them with young kids/babies in the house.

I’ve sold a house and moved due to noise issues but there was no other solution, the noise just couldn’t be stopped.

In this case the noise could be stopped but the OP is prioritising their coffee over the neighbours sleep. That’s a choice they have to make. It’s a pity the sound proofing is so crap though. Ultimately the regulations or shoddy workmanship is at fault.

One thing I’d say is sound proofing in this country can be so inadequate that people need to investigate as much as they can before they buy or rent. Especially when buying as I’ve learned the hard way.

Yep. I would hate to have to live beside such selfish, inconsiderate people.

But then again, I wouldn't hesistate to make the complaint, if my neighbours refused to be reasoned with.

Who knows, maybe the OPs neighbour will too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Jaysis Loueze relax will you. He's not playing rock music at a million decibels all night long. It's a 12 second grind and a microwave ping at 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hope the OP is allowed to keep his boards account in prison, and his coffee grinder 😕😄

I'm perfectly relaxed, thanks.

It's some others who want to continue to argue because I won't back down on my opinion that 5am is not an acceptable hour to be grinding coffee beans.

Thats what the OP asked for, after all.

Are any of ye parents... do ye think kids are only quiet or bawling. Some are able to talk. 'Mommy Daddy I'm scared'.

Plus, I'd like to hear if someone did break in and were rummaging downstairs.

Finally, I've to wear ear plugs when in certain areas of work, and I wouldn't like having them in while I'm trying to sleep. It can also compact earwax and can lead to tinnitus. You've probably have heard the smallest thing you should put in your ear is your elbow. There's a reason for that.

If my next door neighbour was waking me at 5am (and LOL at those that think it's easy to go back to sleep after waking) and kept it up, he wouldn't be getting an early night sleep.

Make the coffee the night before and put it in a flask. The OP knows this and is having a laugh.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

He'll get all his grinding needs and then some 😜

OP my neighbours are sound about me making coffee, if you want to rent a room.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Car engines, particularly diesel powered , must be the biggest source of noise pollution of all, particularly in residential neighbourhoods. If my next door neighbour were driving off to work at 5.a.m. every morning in a rattly old Passat or Transit van I think my quality of life might be reduced significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the simple answer is any noise that's not really necessary that might wake a neighbour up if you happen to have to get up before 8am, I think after 8.30 am or 9 am you can assume most people will be awake people need to have a shower and make breakfast it's not possible or practical to be totally silent all the time depends on where you live, I have never been woken up by bird noise. Maybe Im not a light sleeper, I tend to wake up after 7 or 8 hours anyway or I'll set an alarm on my phone if I have to get up early

Some people are night owls they like to stay up past midnight watching TV or reading Many people live in semi D housing that's OK apart from the low quality of the sound insulation or have no sound insulation at all since 10 to 20 years ago there was not much inspection of housing by the council .

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OP if they can hear your coffee machine then you can surely hear a ton of noise from their house? You must surely hear their kids?

• Advertisement

This has nothing to do with me. The OPs neighbour has young kids. If you had young kids would you be okay with not hearing them if they called out to you?

What then... they all live happily ever after. ❤

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement