Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's acceptable noise at 5am?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OP, it would be an interesting experiment to either grind the evening before, or not to grind at all, for a few days but be sure to use the microwave to see if the neigbour Karen complains about the coffee machine. I suspect that they will, given the frankly absurd comment about the microwave door. If they do, be sure to enjoy informing them that they are full of sh1t (as diplomatically - or not as you like) and then carry on with life. Whilst humouring your neighbours complaint is the neighbourly thing to do, given the microwave door comment, I would be placing a limit on how far to humour them lest you find yourself having the ear worn off you for chewing too loudly, using a shower, farting, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I used to have a bike before I had a car. So by your logic the car is unnecessary because I got by with the bike until I got my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Jaysus, the noise off that grinding the beans set off my tinnitus .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I had a flatmate who put his speaker beside the wall. I asked him to move it and he wouldn't do it. Is there seriously nowhere in the whole flat you can move your coffee machine where it won't be next to a room that has occupants.

Being woken up at that hour is a pain in the hole. I've experienced people making their 'normal' morning routine noises in the past, shower of fuccking elephants.

What make/model is the coffee machine?

• Advertisement

Not unless I want my coffee machine in the bathroom.

it's a sage. The £600 of shite model

That analogy completely fails - unless you were cycling into your neighbours bedroom at 5am and waking him up before you got your car?

But you already know that.

Ultimately, its up to you if you want to be a dick about this, or not. But you already know that as well.

Out of curiosity I looked up a couple of reviews of that machine on youtube as well. It's not quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

On the face of it you're not really doing anything wrong.

I've a bean to cup coffee grinder & I wouldn't use it late at night or 5am. They are noisy.

He has less control over his child throwing a tantrum at 3am than you do over your coffee machine.

If it's close to a party wall or in a counter that touches the wall, the sound will travel.

Personally, I really hate being jolted out of my sleep. I find it hard to get back to sleep and I'm a grouch for the day.

There are numerous quiter ways to make fresh coffee.

If he's a neighbour you don't mind continuously p***ing off, as you were.

Otherwise, try something else and let him know.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dynomutt

My advice to to the neighbour would be to play this at the sound of a coffee grinder at 12, 1 2, 3, and 4 am:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Starting a car at 5am would definitely wake some people. It's a very valid analogy. It's just you think a car is necessary and a coffee grinder isn't.

• Advertisement

Really surprised at some of the comments here- the issue is not the coffee grinder or the microwave- it’s the sound proofing between the houses.

Loud music at 5am- no. Normal home activity at any time- yes.

Id day the neighbour resents their house purchase due to the crummy build and he’s taking it out on the OP

Wouldnt give it a second thought OP- and it would never stand up under the noise pollution act either- it’s normal household activity- he’d be laughed out of court if he took a case against you for closing the microwave door too loudly😂

Hopefilly you’re only renting the place-I’d say your neighbour has had to put up with all sorts through the years - he’s probably now super sensitive to any noise at all

Who wakes up from someone starting a car? What type of car is it, a boy racer with a hole in the exhaust?

That's obviously illegal for starters, as is using the cars horn just for the crack. A normal car starting isn't going to wake the vast majority of people.

If someone revs up the car for the **** and giggles consistently at 5am then that would, imo, not be tolerated.

As I've said already the courts have to apply the law as per statute. Where does it reference a "normal household activity " would be exempt?

BTW, say you grind your beans at 9pm make your coffee the way you like it and put it in a thermos flask, it will be practically as warm 8 hours later. Does the quality of taste deteriorate considerably can anyone say?

I flask up instant coffee at 7 ish in the morning and drink it 5 or 6 hours later and just get on with it. (Canteen is a distance away where I work).

Oh, and at least you gave your neighbour a lie in this morning, it being Christmas and all.

If you wish to take it that literally, You're dismissing my current set up as unnecessary, Because I got by with an inferior setup before. That's your opinion, That's grand, personally I think it's complete nonsense.

I like coffees made mostly with milk, so I couldn't imagine it holding very well.

Heat wise, a thermos/vacuum flask should keep it practically the same temperature as when you make it over that time. Test it today, make it now, flask it and see.

If you mean the taste would deteriorate, maybe (I'm not sure, but would think it won't taste much/If any different), give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭omeara1113

I don't think any noise is acceptable at 5am but I think you should be able to do as you please in your own home or what's the point

i worked on a scheme of houses a while back and one neighbor paid for another to have new wooden floors down with better underlay to minimise noise next door madness

You just can't please everyone anyway

A car engine makes a noise as it starts for 2 seconds. A coffee grinding machine would go on for a bit longer than that.

Unless someone uses a tractor to get to work it's not going to wake anyone.

Besides, unless someone's windows are made from cellophane, the external sound proofing is going to be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

OMG you might as well live like some sort of animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How did people live when we just had tae?

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

"Normal home activity at any time - yes".

So by that logic, if your neighbours were waking you up every morning at 5am running the hoover or the washing machine or even mowing their lawn you would be okay with that because its "normal home activity"?

Yeah right. See how many people would put up with that without complaint. The sounds of "normal home activity" are not exempt from being considered a noise nuisance if its being done at anti-social hours.

Its clear there are two types of people on the thread. Those who are considerate of their neighbours night's sleep and those who really don't give a crap and who can't be reasoned with. The issue with this thread is not that the OP is grinding coffee beans, its that he is grinding them at 5am when most people are still in bed.

Like I said earlier if it was 7am/8am, the neighbour would have less cause for complaint. But as per the original point of this thread - grinding coffee beans at 5am is not an acceptable noise (imo)not reasonable to expect the neighbour to put up with that. And as has been said already, he probably only mentioned the microwave door for emphasis on how much he can hear from the OPs kitchen.

Anyway I'm done. Op, I hope you will see sense and find a compromise that doesn't involve your neiohbour having to spend thousands on sound proofing just so you can indulge yourself with freshly ground coffee beans at 5am.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What microwave door or coffee grinder wakes anyone up?! My OH making coffee in the mornings before I get up doesn’t wake me (I can’t say if she uses the microwave tbh), but sometimes another noise outside will. I just go back to sleep like the vast majority of people would. The neighbour is a crank and will always find something to upset him (see earlier comment about the OP accidentally power washing 1cm over the dividing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Okay so here is a demo of the machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbOpV6kctNM

I'm on the fence here, because if the adjoining room is the neighbours kitchen but the sound is travelling up the wall to the bedroom then sure it maybe annoying, I mean you never will know unless you ask to go over there and have your flatmate use the machine whilst you are over there.

He could just be annoying pr1ck. Next time you could ask if it's waking him or if you can come inside and listen.

I sounds like you are taking some measures to be more considerate at any rate and I can understand why you would need a cup of joe at 5 am.

Thats the Sage Barista Express. The OP has the Sage Barista Pro.

Here is a link to the grinder. It's only 4 seconds in the video, so imagine 3 times that coming through your bedroom wall every morning at 5am.

My sympathy for the neighbour has grown. I wouldn't want to be listening to that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think if the neighbours call the gardai and it goes to court the op will need to get himself a good barista

• Again, that’s been recorded with a mic and it’s RIGHT there. It’s hardly a fair assessment of what noise (if any) is being heard in the opposite house.

It's hardly a fair representation considering it's recorded less than a metre from the machine, with a microphone designed to pick up sound.

My neighbor is listening through a wall and a ceiling

• Advertisement

Well if you’re “done” there’s no point addressing anything in that rant above - TG for that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement