Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Renewal.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

To me a renewal notice isn't a negative at all. The renewal premium quoted is meaningless.

It's an opportunity to negotiate.

True, but I've spent 4 hours between yesterday & today trying to get a quote sorted.

it really shouldn't be that hard.

or, maybe, that's the idea...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Down from just under 400 to just under 300 with Principal.
    This time last year I was a brand new wet behind the ears learner, this year I'm a wet behind the ears learner with a full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Via Principal renewal email (flippin brilliant idea imo)

Previous Year’s Unadjusted Premium
    Insurer: AXA Broker, Ireland
    Excess: €250
    Level of Cover: Third Party, Fire And Theft
    Usage: Commuting
    Total: €326.57

Renewal Policy
    Insurer: AXA Broker, Ireland
    Excess: €250
    Level of Cover: Third Party, Fire And Theft
    Usage: Commuting
    Total: €285.6

I am 33, about 4 years insured in my own name,
    full A licence for 3, and own a 2011 Yamaha XJ6.
    So only difference really is 40 quid off due to the added 10% for 1 more year of NCD bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭larchielads

Lads would i have trouble gettin insurance on a Kawasaki z750? Im 38 wit about 5yrs no claims and about 3yrs full licence? Currently wit carole nash. Ive read old posts from a few years ago on other forums where people had trouble gettin insured on one. Sorry for hijackin thread

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Lads would i have trouble gettin insurance on a Kawasaki z750? Im 38 wit about 5yrs no claims and about 3yrs full licence? Currently wit carole nash. Ive read old posts from a few years ago on other forums where people had trouble gettin insured on one. Sorry for hijackin thread

Na you’ll get insured alright. It all comes down to €’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Try running your creds through Liberty, see what comes out?

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭larchielads

Try running your creds through Liberty, see what comes out?

Link

Got quote of 308.00 tpft. Surely carole nash, my own insurer should cover me

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    Did you get rid of the GPZ?

Ya sold it to a fella in limerick..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Got quote of 308.00 tpft. Surely carole nash, my own insurer should cover me

What's the Carole Nash online system quoting you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭blade1

€61.99 to add a 6th bike.
    Someone hold me back!!

• Advertisement

Went with CN for €380 in the end. AXA weren’t moving and Principal were double the price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My renewal just came in. €216 for tpft. Not too bad.

The broker fee is €50 though and I'll scare Principal with some competition to lower it before I renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My Renewal came in Principal €380 for three bikes, one of them a classic.
    Broker fee €100 , was contacted by them and they more or less stated they wouldn't move on the price.
    Fair enough, CN is €80 cheaper like for like (TPFT) or €60 less for fully comp.
    I think I will be moving again, its called churning in the industry.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My Renewal came in Principal €380 for three bikes, one of them a classic.
    Broker fee €100 , was contacted by them and they more or less stated they wouldn't move on the price.
    Fair enough, CN is €80 cheaper like for like (TPFT) or €60 less for fully comp.

I’m onto my 3rd insurer since going back on bikes in 2018. FBD are the underwriters on my CN policy though

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

CJhaughey wrote: »

It's only "churning" when the intermediary moves the business at renewal time to get "initial commission" again. ;)
    It's not churning if the client moves for a lower premium from a different underwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's only "churning" when the intermediary moves the business at renewal time to get "initial commission" again. ;)
    It's not churning if the client moves for a lower premium from a different underwriter.

It's really not though customer churn means that customer has churned out at renewal time. It's a common term in the sales industry. It costs more money to sign new business rather than retain old. Which is why customer churn should be avoided.

You may be using it for some middle man sales jargon.

listermint wrote: »
    You may be using it for some middle man sales jargon.

Or maybe I was Sales Director running a large sales team :cool:

Yay....Pissing Contest !!! :D:D:D

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Willy Waving :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Tankbags at dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

29 yo
    CBR500
    2 year Irish provisional (still waiting for the test)

completed 1 year with Principle at 2.3k (3rd + F +T) no claims

Now for renewal 3rd Part + F + T:

Liberty wont quote as they say need min 3 years license.
    Carole around 2.1k
    AXA 2.4k
    Principle (renewal) 1.8k

I called everyone again they all said yup this is the final quote we can offer (although CN did take off like 30 bucks off). So what I heard in forum that they lower the prices not really happening for me

Love insurance :)))))

No, they don't like anything with an R as the last letter.....*
    Wonder what CN quote you online for a CB500 ?

edit; meant to add *"for those on a Learner Permit".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Lyndsey3000

32 y.o
    GSX-R 750 (K4)
    Full Licence 3 years
    6 years no claims
    one named rider
    €402 Comprehensive with Axa through Principal. Going to get other quotes today (including Axa directly, Principal Broker fee is €50)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

alanman wrote: »
    29 yo
    CBR500
    2 year Irish provisional (still waiting for the test)

completed 1 year with Principle at 2.3k (3rd + F +T) no claims

Now for renewal 3rd Part + F + T:

Liberty wont quote as they say need min 3 years license.
    Carole around 2.1k
    AXA 2.4k
    Principle (renewal) 1.8k

I called everyone again they all said yup this is the final quote we can offer (although CN did take off like 30 bucks off). So what I heard in forum that they lower the prices not really happening for me

Love insurance :)))))

Coincidence: my 18yr old son just got a CB500.
    He has full A1, LP A2, and shortly 2 years NCB, quoted €2100 from C-N.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sounds to me like the CB500 is the modern version of the NSR125 of my day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

I know. It's so frustrating having to play the game every year. Waste the time, filling out the forms 3 times etc. Then ringing back, and playing the game.

Like I have been with principle for 4 years. And every year I have to do it. Don't you think they would put a note on account this guy rings around. Takes up our and his time. Let's just give him a good quote every year.

But I assume someone in the insurance industry has done a cost benefit analysis on the process and deemed that the number of people who pay the high renewals is more than the salaries paid to employees to go through the inevitable process of haggling down prices with customers.

Does anyone actually know anyone that doesn't ring around?

I'd say lots of people don't ring around. I know people who have never rang or haggled, in any shape or form.
    Also many people who have rang around in the past may 'give in' depending on how non ****ty the new quote is.
    They can't be arsed with the 'hassle '. Depending on how busy or well off they are. Some people are so used to dealing with the one company or broker that they just accept the quote as a fixed cost/bill like an electricity bill. I can just imagine insurance companies when they are calculating renewal amounts....."ahemmmm how much can we add before the gobshoite calls us???"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Has anybody got personal injury motorbike insurance? I tried to get it with Axa when I first started out but they said along the lines that you have to have a few years ncb to get it. And when I asked them after getting a few years ncb I think they said they don't do it?

lalababa wrote: »
    Has anybody got personal injury motorbike insurance? I tried to get it with Axa when I first started out but they said along the lines that you have to have a few years ncb to get it. And when I asked them after getting a few years ncb I think they said they don't do it?

AXA spout off ****e I’ve noticed. In 2020 I asked them to change the renewal date on my policy to match that of my car, 5 weeks difference. They said I’d need 3 years ncd to do it. Fast forward to this year I went back to them and made the request, oh well can only do it by 4 weeks. Despite that I got my ncd cert 6 weeks before the policy ends. Took out a policy with CN.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,290 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

I am impressed that that passed the swear filter.

A lot of people don't know that arse passes the swear filter :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

So two years after the thread started it's that time again.

Principle wanted €430 😯 considering our mileage in the last two years has reduced (working from home etc etc) it was a bit rich . . . . . . . . . .

Carole Nash wanted €238 (Underwritten by AXA)

Axa wanted €445 😮.

So I'm now a CN client. Principle immediately said they can't compete with CN if the bike is parked outside and not in a garage. The Axa chap was the most uninterested. He didn't do any regulatory bits and as soon as he heard the CN quote he pretty much hung up. Very unprofessional.

Keep shopping around guys and if you are with CN tell them to disable "Auto Renew" so that you can shop around at your own pace.

Advertisement