Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance Renewal.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

blade1 wrote: »
    Then you believe wrongly.
    My car insurance is €340 fully comp this year and was €323 last year.

The lowest my car insurance ever was is €500 in 2015. How many people here pay more for tax compared their insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listermint wrote: »
    This isn't a debate about the system of penalty points.

Actually it's about how the insurance industry is abusing the points system to make greater profits. Especially where those points include FPNs which might not stand up in court but are too expensive/risky to challenge.
    Either way I still believe bike insurance is far cheaper than any car

Irrelevant
    Your lucky we aren't in Switzerland.

I'm also lucky I don't live in North Korea or Eritrea. Again irrelevant.
    Your points would mean a entirely different world of pain

I don't have any points.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    The lowest my car insurance ever was is €500 in 2015. How many people here pay more for tax compared their insurance

My tax is 190 for the year.
    It's a 2.5 litre engine and not even a dirty daysul :D

My tax is 190 for the year.
    It's a 2.5 litre engine and not even a dirty daysul :D

You’re lucky. My tax is €600 on my 2.0 dirty daysul:(

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    You’re lucky. My tax is €600 on my 2.0 dirty daysul:

Wanna buy a car? :pac:

• Advertisement

Wanna buy a car? :pac:

I’ll swap ya my blade ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually it's about how the insurance industry is abusing the points system to make greater profits. Especially where those points are FPNs which probably wouldn't stand up in court.

Irrelevant

I'm also lucky I don't live in North Korea or Eritrea. Again irrelevant nonsense.

I don't have any points.

On a bit of a mad one today ya? Have some tea sit down. Watch the tele. You'll give yourself a hernia fighting a no win case about penalty points and insurance through the courts.

On a bit of a mad one today ya? Have some tea sit down. Watch the tele. You'll give yourself a hernia fighting a no win case about penalty points and insurance through the courts.

Passive aggression probably isn't great for you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

For those of you giving out about the price of insurance, how long are you riding bikes? It’s not that long ago that bike insurance was absolutely insane. I’m looking at the quotes in here that people are giving out about and I’d happily pay them (if/when I get a bike again). I spent €13k on insurance over a 5 year period. The first year of it was fully comp on a brand new moped, the remaining 4 years were third party only as there was no option of third party fire and theft. For example, as a 20 year old, with a full clean licence, and 2 years no claims, it cost me just under €3k to insure a NSR 75 third party only for a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

For those of you giving out about the price of insurance, how long are you riding bikes? It’s not that long ago that bike insurance was absolutely insane. I’m looking at the quotes in here that people are giving out about and I’d happily pay them (if/when I get a bike again). I spent €13k on insurance over a 5 year period. The first year of it was fully comp on a brand new moped, the remaining 4 years were third party only as there was no option of third party fire and theft. For example, as a 20 year old, with a full clean licence, and 2 years no claims, it cost me just under €3k to insure a NSR 75 third party only for a year!

when i started off insurance was reasonable....then afew years later they went from around 300 pound to 1200 pound...and it got steadily worse for afew years...this resulted in many like me who needed cars for work etc to stop driving bikes as it went far too dear...others simply didnt bother insuring bikes...then slowly insurance lowered as they had no option and some competition entered market which made it very reasonable again to drive.So i started driving bikes again ..and have been since.....around 12-13 years since....but now my fear is they starting to rise it again and for no reason...which worries me...

ps my first bike was an rg 80.... the nsr 75 would be like a haybusa in comparison! haha

• Advertisement

For those of you giving out about the price of insurance, how long are you riding bikes? It’s not that long ago that bike insurance was absolutely insane.

I started in 1995 on a 100cc (which was shít, but appreciably cheaper than the 125cc my licence allowed.) It still cost IR£1000 (€1270) which was twice the cost of the bike, and third party claims hardly entered into it as I couldn't legally carry a pillion. Norwich Screwnion / Aviva. Cnuts.

I'm supposed to be happy now that I'm nearly 50 and paying almost 400 euro for one bike with no pillion seat, the chances of injuring any third party are infinitesimal, I've a continuous claims free record since 1995, full A licence since 1996 and a RoSPA Silver too.

So as far as I'm concerned I'm still being ripped off. The generationally entitled types in Mount Merrion are laughing at us as they ride us without lube. Their sons and daughters who do law in UCD because they're too fúckin thick to get a proper job have a god-given entitlement to make a big fat living off the backs of everyone else.

Life ain't always empty.

Passive aggression probably isn't great for you either.

Passive-aggressive behavior is a pattern of indirectly expressing negative feelings instead of openly addressing them.

I'm in here telling ya the prices aren't actually that bad. Your acting like the world is falling down and people are being ripped off left right and centre

Doesn't add up ? I'm still surprised folks think that penalty points dont add cost to your insurance. I've had them before several times. Luckily none at the moment. I accept they load a policy because they signify risky behaviour that you've been caught doing.

That's it , simples. None of that's negative from me. It's explanatory. Tbf. If your taking that as aggression I'm sorry but I've actually no idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

a1549b8621e83854cda79881ca75a953627840db5ab3cf8c2bd2caa29bac5e7c.jpg?zoom=2

I'm in here telling ya the prices aren't actually that bad.

There's been a big decrease in the cost of bike insurance over the last 25 years (it was a monopoly then) but imho it's still twice what it should be.

The insurance on the wife's car is crazy - basic Corolla worth maybe €1500, we both have claims free driving going back years, low annual mileage, it's still 750 because we're paying for all the fake whiplash claims and the staged accidents the insurers can't be arsed disputing in court.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

How do rates here compare with UK and with countries in the so-called single market, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

256 euro fully comp with carol nash
    On a kawasaki zzr1100
    Full licence
    38 years old
    4 years no claims

On a kawasaki zzr1100
    Full licence
    38 years old
    4 years no claims

That’s what u got here with Carole nash in Ireland ? That’s gas... I’ve full license , a year older , have 3 times your no claims and I’m getting a quote that’s over a hundred euro more for a Ducati 1098... oh and I even said my mileage will be 1000k a year max... so they know I’ll be driving my car mostly ...

I wouldn’t have expected a zzr1100 to be considered that much safer ...

Anyways next time your renewing try principal for the laugh and see if they can better it. They saved me a good bit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure safety is the difference between those 2 bikes. It'll be down to claims experience I'd imagine and the cost of parts for the Ducati.

I'm not sure safety is the difference between those 2 bikes. It'll be down to claims experience I'd imagine and the cost of parts for the Ducati.

Might be because they're a fire risk .... ;)

Might be because they're a fire risk .... ;)

What u saying about my Ducati! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just got my renewal notice there. €304 last year, €289 this year FC on 2012 Explorer, full NCB, no points and RoSPA Gold (although I don’t think this matters) I’m not even gonna call to try reduce it, I’m happy enough with that. With CN

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

Breezin wrote: »
    How do rates here compare with UK and with countries in the so-called single market, does anyone know?

Just looked up what my bike would be at my old place in D8.
    Carole Nash would be charging me about 1600 Euro per year.

I am currently living in the south of England in an similar area and my insurance is 750 Pound. So about half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

LillySV wrote: »
    That’s what u got here with Carole nash in Ireland ? That’s gas... I’ve full license , a year older , have 3 times your no claims and I’m getting a quote that’s over a hundred euro more for a Ducati 1098... oh and I even said my mileage will be 1000k a year max... so they know I’ll be driving my car mostly ...

I wouldn’t have expected a zzr1100 to be considered that much safer ...

Anyways next time your renewing try principal for the laugh and see if they can better it. They saved me a good bit
    When ever i get my renewal quote i always tell them principal betters it and they drop price straight away..

On a kawasaki zzr1100
    Full licence
    38 years old
    4 years no claims

Did you get rid of the GPZ?

When ever i get my renewal quote i always tell them principal betters it and they drop price straight away..

My Friend said to do that and save the hassle of changing over... rang them, spent half hour on phone to get to someone, told them my principle quote and was told the best they could do was 395! 20 euro more than previous quote. So got back onto principle, treated with far better customer service and now getting same level of insurance for 321..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Got my renewal in the post from principle. 896. Up from 300. Due to changing my bike (deauville to KTM 1290)

After ringing round etc. Got it down to 570 with principle. It really Sickens me how insurance companies screw us with renewal quotes. Carole Nash came in with a good quote and nearly moved just to spite principle.

Then next year CN would do the same to you and you'd have to threaten them with Principal...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Got my renewal in the post from principle. 896. Up from 300. Due to changing my bike (deauville to KTM 1290)

After ringing round etc. Got it down to 570 with principle. It really Sickens me how insurance companies screw us with renewal quotes. Carole Nash came in with a good quote and nearly moved just to spite principle.

To me a renewal notice isn't a negative at all. The renewal premium quoted is meaningless.

It's an opportunity to negotiate.

Insurers are a bunch of legalised thieves.

Since going back on bikes in 2018 I’ve noticed a change from when I first started out in 2003.

Was with Principal in 2018, no issues with them other than they wouldn’t budge on price at renewal time.

Went to AXA for 2019 & 20, cheapest both times, roll on to 21 and they won’t budge on the renewal now.

CN are by far and above the cheapest.

22 will be fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Then next year CN would do the same to you and you'd have to threaten them with Principal...

I know. It's so frustrating having to play the game every year. Waste the time, filling out the forms 3 times etc. Then ringing back, and playing the game.

Like I have been with principle for 4 years. And every year I have to do it. Don't you think they would put a note on account this guy rings around. Takes up our and his time. Let's just give him a good quote every year.

But I assume someone in the insurance industry has done a cost benefit analysis on the process and deemed that the number of people who pay the high renewals is more than the salaries paid to employees to go through the inevitable process of haggling down prices with customers.

Does anyone actually know anyone that doesn't ring around?

Advertisement