Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Renewal.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭goblin59

I just did mine yesterday.

Went back to CarolNash for two main reasons

None of the other lot would do 3rd Party cover riding a non irish reg bike on a loan. So meant I couldn't drive my Dad's bikes when I'm up north and I couldn't get Personal medical cover either.

Dropped from just under €900 to €634 this year.

Dropped one of the DR650 from my policy and added the R100

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Personal accident cover ? You mention personal medical insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You do realise that both C-N, Principle are all AXA policies anyway ? So, bar Liberty, there is actually only 1 other insurer in the market.

I had a recent derring-do with C-N over insuring my new GW, and AXA directly came in better, but some negotiation with C-N got it sorted and stuck with them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

probally, still for €35 better to have than not have it

Yeah its a bit of a joke we have only two underwriters in Ireland, zero competition for them.

Would be nice if the EU passed something to let underwriters from memberstates operate in other countries without needing an office in that country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We had that, that's how we got the Independent Insurance (UK) fiasco here about 20 years ago, and there was a company which did van insurance here which went bang a couple of years ago. Ageas (Spain) operated here until a couple of years ago doing bike insurance but they seemed to just withdraw from the Irish market.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Didn't know about that. To be hoenst I was 12, 20 years ago, which seems weird to find about and didn't even know anything about bikes except dont clip the exhaust when getting off them. Learnt that mistake the hard way

Independent were CN's underwriter and collapsed in one of the biggest insurance frauds ever, feckin' nightmare, I'd just renewed that June and a few weeks later my policy was worthless but I'd already paid hundreds for ferry tickets to France, had no choice but to borrow money from the credit union, go back to CN and pay a lot more (~£1000) to get another policy from their new underwriter.

Got fully refunded a few months later from the UK regulator but tons of stress in the meantime and initially it looked like they wouldn't cover policyholders here. That was bad, but imagine if you'd had a claim against you, or were claiming against, one of these dodgy policies... Happened again just a couple of years ago with van insurance and policyholders were just left in the lurch again and had to fork out for new policies. It's just not good enough for a product that the law obliges you to purchase from a provider that's supposed to be regulated.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

And so a year has passed again . . . . . . and the annual phone around for renewal. Well it's an easy job to get quotes when there's only really three players.

Called Principle and went through the box ticking exercise, result was €390. The young lady just hung up when I said they were very expensive. 😂

Then I called Axa direct. €590 😮 and an admission that he hasn't sold a policy in weeks. He was polite and funny.

Finally I renewed with Carole Nash at €230 fully comprehensive.

All three quotes were underwritten by Axa. So clearly CN has a better volume discount than Principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement

No, it’s definitely a volume discount reason. Some brokers do all the underwriting and issue insurance certificates. The nett premiums are subsequently paid to the insurance company. So the broker can sell below cost as he is getting override commission at year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭trackdaychamp

We have a family business and I've used the company to buy a bike that I'm now trying to insure. It'll be used for commuting and VERY limited mileage, maybe for convenience if going into the city centre as parking for cars has become a real pain lately.

I'm finding it difficult to get any underwriter to quote as our business owns the bike. I'm 40 and have done the IBT.

Any advice please as I'm itching to get out on the road? Surely courier companies are able to get insurance where each driver doesn't own the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sell it to yourself and insure it legitimately... Otherwise you'd be expected to pay benefit in kind etc.

I'm ok with BIK as the bike is fully electric. Just hitting a brick wall with insurance. I cannot be the only business in Ireland needing to insure a motorcycle. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction

Post edited by trackdaychamp on

BIK on motorcycles is amazingly low. Ask your accountant to look up the rules. I ran a bike as my company vehicle for twenty years.

Thanks Sir Galahad. Yes this exactly what I want to do. How did you insure the bike when the company owned it? I'm getting lots of No's from insurers. There must be a way...

The bike is paid for now, sitting in the dealership waiting to be insured. I had a quote but insurer back out. I'm seriously itching to get out on the road.

Couriers are classed as self-employed and "company bikes" used to be a thing 40 years ago in London but were all but unknown here afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I've seen a few people further back in the thread chose TPF&T. I'm curious as to why one would choose that over fully comp (apart from cost)? I have 08 CB600f worth approx 3500. I have one years NCB now and do little milage so wondering if I should revert to TPF&T over fully comp.

My company wrote the cheque for the bike , the logbook was in my name. So insurance was in my name and I disclosed the fact that I used it to drive to my clients. I only had a laptop in the box......... no samples or product.

Only reason is to save money so it all depends on what the difference in cost is for you personally and what level of risk you personally are prepared to take. Also the effect an own-damage claim and loss of NCB would have on future premiums. In a way with motor insurance in Ireland it's a choice of either pay now or pay later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The only reason you'd do it is there was a large difference in the premium or if the bike is of such a low value that you're prepared to 'write it off' yourself in the event of an accident.

My young lad took TPF&T for his first bike worth €1700 as his insurance was €1100 on it. Now, with a €6k bike he's using full Comp.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement