Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESRI confirms Irish welfare dependent population is TWICE that of Germany or France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here's another example.

In the middle of a housing crisis, with labour shortages in construction, there are the following numbers of people on the Live Register, classified by last held occupation:

22,276 craft and related

20,200 plant and machine operatives

I struggle to understand how there are over 42,000 of these workers on the Live Register.

Surely with these skills they could find work easily enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the positions are minimum wage jobs. If employers raised wages, I'm sure they'd have no problem filling those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

At the end of the day.

No one ever can say unemployed able bodied people should get a new house paying 40 euro a week when working people have to pay 2000 a month rent next door to each other.

Its the simple. Nothing more to add.

Homelessness in this country is a scam and finally people are waking up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You'd hazard wrong.

Construction job wages are actually very decent at the moment.

Just laziness on our parts.

Why is it we have 500,000 foreign nationals working in average wage jobs??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

What are the jobs/wages that are not being filled?

Whats an average wage?

• Advertisement

Plant/machinery operators are 20 plus an hour starting off.......must be poor ould fcukers livimg in arsehole of nowhere who cant afford diesel to go to/from work......i know few lads in work communting 40 plus mins are actively preparing to leave for jobs nearer home over price of fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It has to be realised that there is an issue out there, where there are people who simply do not want a job, not everyone is like that, but there are people out there that even if you gave them a job wouldn't be able to keep it, because they just do not want it.

The safety net quite literally needs to be cut out from under these people.

As it stands we have a single tier welfare system, albeit with JSA & JSB but at the same rates, which quite frankly is ludicrous, reform to the system is necessary and long overdue, there is no way that it is fair or equitable that those that have never contributed can avail of the exact same rate as someone who has worked their entire lives.

Making changes like the above would make employment the more attractive option.

I am not advocating a zero payment, but I would see a rate of perhaps 50% of the current max rate for the non contributory with the contributory being based on a percentage of previous earnings on a sliding scale to give a soft landing, time to get matters in order / find a new job, the time for the soft landing / transition would be based on the number of PRSI contributions paid whilst working.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Child benefit is to assist, not to pay for you to raise your child, before you ask, yes, I have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sweet Jesus, I get your new to Boards but surely aware of the Mother and Baby scandal, Cop on and try to educate yourself, appalling comment

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I think it depends, the pandemic has seen increased awareness of amongst my own anyways.

I remember 3 of them, who are themselves out of a job, struggling to buy anywhere etc being stunned that apartments in GCD were going to social housing.

• Advertisement

Whilst not at all surprised this appalling thread grew legs it's astonishing few appeared to have actually read the report being used to justify this Bile.

From accusations of people being inbred to suggestions of forced removal of children, have people no shame.

The report deals with income inequality, does not seperate types of welfare supports, such as disibility, illness, FIS etc.

There are some who seem to think unemployment welfare, supports 40% of the population when it's abundantly clear actual unemployment is around 5%

Equally people seem to think the DEASP just throws out money with few questions asked, it's complete and utter nonsense. Not only are eligible checks done but various departments share data, further to this more and more reviews are taking place to include disibility allowances and indeed non contributary pensions both of which are subject to means testing, even after being awarded.

The impression being given is money just handed out with no accountability.

Of course there are abuses, of course there are very long term employed but anyone who thinks DEASP don't react are deluded, there are numerous and rigourous job activation programs (admitidly some dreadful) but not all.

This is not the 1980's folks, look at the actual Data, not a generalised study done that does not actually focus on actual unemployment but welfare supports generally that includes benefits that have nothing to do with unemployment and perhaps have more to do with our health service or lack of same 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Put you're monocle back in .

This isn't an RTE panel , it's regular people on Boards discussing an area of welfare spending relative to other countries.

Stop trying to censor with you're " appalling thread " contribution . It's straight from the WOKE Handbook.

You're exactly what I was referring to earlier , sneering progressives who want middle Ireland to shut up and keep milking

I'm all for coherent debate and discussion but when it's clear what the motivations are behind a Thread (and that's very clear here), it needs to be called out.

If you bothered to actually understand that actual report being used to justify this nonsense or indeed actually checked some facts you might be a little more objective.

When exactly is blatant Racism, outrageous inbred comments, disgusting suggestions about forced removal of children become acceptable in any discussion.

I make no apologies and will continue to wear my monical and call out offensive BS when I see it, your free to have your opinion as am I, how dare you lecture me or any other poster who's opinion differs from yours.

This Thread is up there when it comes to some of the most vile comments I've seen on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope. This has nothing to do with where I come from.

I'm quoting people who've lived there entire lives here, and deliberately married foreigners to broaden the gene pool in their families.

Look at the disability rates here vs larger European countries.

Ireland breeds a lot of people who simply are not able to provide for themselves. That's part of the reason why the welfare proportion is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dear God, I'm actually speechless (A rare thing) 😳

Doubling down on the WOKEness I see

" called out "

The latest addition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Haha! It would be both amusing and frightening in equal measure to spend a while in your head.

The disability thing is more likely down to two things

1. Doctors approving applications without any protest, this could be due to us being such a small country, everyone knowing each other and the local GP not wanting to go against applicant.

2. The traveller population, they genuinely suffer from a lot of disability due to inbreeding, percentage of travellers claiming disability is enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's no problem with welfare. There seems to be this thing online where if you are against scroungers playing the system, then anyone on any welfare payment is a scrounger and welfare shouldn't be a thing and we should be more like the US.

No one, or at least 99.9% of people, have no problem with welfare. I have no problem with someone getting it if they lose a job and they're looking for another. I have no problem is someone is wheelchair bound and can't work.

The reason so many are angry about scroungers is because everyone knows many many people playing the system. There's people in my family, far out who are claiming disability yet they're working jobs cash in hand. I know many others around the town doing the same and worse. Yet there seems to be this attitude of irish people of "ah I'd rather 10 people get away scamming the system if it means all those who need help get it, rather than those 10 scammers are dealt with and the one who needs it doesn't get the help they need".

Defending the current system is just performative WOKEery.

No different to the holy Joe's of yesteryear who spoke in high minded condescending tones about the need for a particular kind of morality

Welfare recipients are a sacred cow of progressives so no assessment of the system is permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did the market fail to provide for Margaret Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Given that article is from 2018, it raises the question as to whether it needs updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

You definitely need to speak to someone about your views, issues or jesus I'm lost.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Nothing would happen.

People talk about how revenue is some high end really sharp org yet they're not.

Totally off topic, but whatever became of the bould Maggie? She dropped off the radar once her hubby was released.

I hope she’s happy in her forever home.

If the ESRI report is correct, and Ireland's welfare-dependent population is twice that of Germany or France, it would clearly confirm that there is an overabundance of people on welfare that simply should not be there.

Government should act to limit welfare over time; gradually reducing the rate to a point where it incentivises people to get up and go to work.

I'm pretty confident that if people didn't feel they could have holidays or even afford to go to the pub each week, that it would act to encourage people to find work. More work support schemes should exist to facilitate this transition.

I'd also encourage a reporting surveillance system, where citizens are given financial rewards for reporting severe breaches of welfare from others. If this was done on a mass scale, and people were afraid to take risks, then it would reduce the social welfare burden. A form of the system exists, but there is no financial reward. The small financial reward would be justified compared to the annual loss that a violator of the system has taken.

Also, anyone found to breach the social welfare rules to a high level should be jailed (I know this already happens in extreme cases, but the bar should be lowered much more to prosecute social welfare violators).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I suggest three reasons why our numbers in jobless and VLWI households are very high.

(1) an endogeneity effect?

The welfare state is very good at reducing market income inequality. Yet, the design of the welfare state may itself be contributing to the high market income inequality here.

The welfare state is very good at lifting many people out of poverty, yet the welfare state is part of the reason there are so many people with zero or low market incomes.

The design of the welfare system discourages people from taking up jobs, even though there are jobs available.

This means that although unemployment may be low here, employment is also low (or not very high).

(2) the lack of childcare / cost of childcare, relative to earnings?

(3) social care preferences?

If we as a society prefer much social care to be delivered informally, supported by carers payments and tax reliefs, rather than delivered by the State or market, then there will be more carers, and less workers, than in other countries

Advertisement