Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars or the planet? What would you choose?

Comments

Is it possible to add a poll in the new boards setup

3 lite American Lincoln every single time. The electric cars at the moment are more polluting as the electricity is mainly got from burning fossil fuels. When the world gets serious about nuclear i may change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Cars but once they aren't electric

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm choosing a helicopter. Less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭atilladehun

In cities there's definitely a market for not owning cars but using them, especially now with WFH. Being able to book a regular car at a lower price than a taxi, or monthly repayments, insurance, petrol and then tax will become an option in the future. Especially with technology and automation.

This doesn't mean it's for everyone so don't panic. The market will determine this one. Ownership will still exist and it will be a gradual changeover.

As you've linked, the whole world will change here, Eamon Ryan will have very little say in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I choose my truck over the planet.

But that's not really the choice though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It would be great to get rid of most cars are get more people cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Poll for your favourite car.

"Get rid of the car. Get a bike"

FFS 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get rid of the commercial production of meat instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can I not just vote that everyone else should get rid of their cars - and other climate change influencing lifestyle choices , ?

Leaving me free to drive around on empty roads in a giant pick-up truck , eating steak sandwiches and running my air-con with the window open .... Yee-haw...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think car can be just used more economically. Like 5 years ago I bought an 06 golf for 3k, it is all I need, has decent mpg, handy to park, Ive even loaded it up at Ikea and brought it on a ski trip. Over time I've replaced brakes, control arm, struts all in about 1k. Has over 200k miles on it. These cars will last for years with minor maintenance. If I had bought a new SUV I would be down thousands with depreciation. This golf is still going and parts are not expensive. If people buy boring Corollas, golfs and civics, and maintain them for twenty years, that would have a good environmental impact and you'll have your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Cars

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'm thinking my next car should have a huge engine and no cat, maybe 2 big straight through exhausts, cowcatcher like a western train for pushing cyclists aside,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,769 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Build a public transport system fit for purpose if you want less cars. Still waiting on the metro (one line which we’ll see probably in another fûckin decade… no actually, 2034 is the accepted revised completion date…both my parents still working when it was approved, now they 1000% won’t live to see it….. they’d be mid to late ‘90’s….when it’s up and running….

provide an alternative to cars….

currently it’s gonna be 33 years since it was green lighted in 2001 to it being built and used…

Want less cars, provide an alternative fit for purpose public transport system ..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Want less cars, provide an alternative fit for purpose public transport system ..

Like busses? But then you need to remove all the cars in order to make it fit for purpose. It wouldn't be fit for purpose if the busses had to sit in a traffic jam caused by people in cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Could we just get rid of all the CO2 catastrophists instead? I'll take cars.

There are lots of equally fatuous and stupid questions you could ask; like which 5 billion are we going to cull for the sake of the planet? Which do you pick - hot water and home heating, or the planet?. Between cooked food or the planet, which do you choose? Elctricity and health care, or the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭growleaves

People can't get around medium to long distances by bicycle.

If genuinely serious about abolishing cars we would need to bring back horse and carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Motorbikes.

Who suggested abolishing cars? (The greens didn't in case you try and suggest that they did)

However, the majority of people driving into Galway and other cities across Ireland should not have this as their default commuting choice. We need to have sustainable choices and not pander to the motoring lobby (which I'll admit I used to subscribe to in the past) because cities should not be dominated by cars as they have done in the past. It is inefficient, dirty and completely unhealthy for both the driver and the people living in the surrounding neighbourhoods.

Right so what do you suggest? I suggest that driving a horse and carriage is more realistic than pedalling a bicycle over large distances.

When cars were first invented they were called horseless carriages.

You don't want cities to be dominated by motorised cars. But not all travel is within cities, i.e. within cycling distance.

So... horses

• Advertisement

Are you that lacking in imagination that a functional public transport network doesn't spring to mind but horse and carriages do?

Plus for those that must use a car or van, there would be less traffic on the road.

Covering the whole country? Won't happen. Have you been around Ireland?

How many decades will an interlinked electric rail system take to build? We can't even build a metro to airport.

Yes horse and carriages spring to mind because they would work and have worked. They are roughly equivalent to motorised cars which replaced them at the beginning of the 20th century.

That is more realistic than expecting people to hop on a bicycle each time they want to travel from Waterford to Belfast.

That is more realistic than expecting people to hop on a bicycle each time they want to travel from Waterford to Belfast.

Given that absolutely nobody has proposed such a means of travel, why are you being so melodramatic and posting such a suggestion to make your bias appear reasonable?

horses need energy too. No fossil energy, but food. This means that replacing tractors with horses would raise the need for additional agricultural land to grow feed for the animals (land that in turn has to be cultivated by extra horses). Tractors could derive their fuel from agricultural land, too, if we turn food crops into bio-diesel or ethanol. Therefore, to know whether it is a useful strategy to replace tractors by horses, we have to know how many extra acres would be needed to feed the horses, and how many acres would be needed to “feed” the tractors.

"Powering agriculture with tractors requires almost 2.5 times as much (bio)energy than powering agriculture with horses"

This calculation was done in a study published in the ‘American Journal of Alternative Agriculture’, eight years ago. With oil prices almost 4 times lower than today, the researchers might as well have been talking to a brick wall.

Conclusion: when everything is taken into account, powering agriculture with tractors requires almost 2.5 times more energy than powering agriculture with horses.

Swedish study published in 2002 came to similar results: it concluded that a tractor-based agriculture consumes 67 percent more energy than a horse-based agriculture. The Swedish also calculated that the energy input in (local) agriculture increased 13-fold from 1927 to 1981, while total agricultural production in 1981 was only 2.4 times that in 1927. Find a link to the full pdf of the Swedish studies here.

So we are going back to horses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thread title is fairly obvious question no?

For me also the cars should be cut down to a minimum. The car industry pulled a massive trick in convincing people to spend so much of their disposable income on something that they don't use for so much of the time, and when they do use it, use it for such short journeys most of the time also.

I think people are deliberately missing the point about needing a vehicle for a long journey occasionally and therefor cars must be maintained. In a sharing option, you can still book the car for the long journey as you need it every now and then, or still own a car if you are someone who does need it much more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

All the talk of going electric...And we can barely cover existing electricity demands...Only solution is to go Nuclear...Yes its expensive but its the only solution...the waste can be stored on site...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You'll have he vegan's up in arms if such a move was to be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Nobody's saying to get rid of all cars. Just lots of solutions for different scenarios that all add up to dramatically reduced emissions.

Firstly public transport - as one of the linked articles mentioned, very few people living in Manhattan own cars because public transport is easier and more efficient to use and a car basically becomes a liability. The more access to public transport, and the more efficient public transport is, the more cars are voluntarily taken off the road by people who realise they just don't need them.

Secondly car sharing - bicycle sharing has already proved very successful with increasing uptake in many cities. Car sharing services do exist in much more limited numbers but aren't yet as widely accepted. But if they did, and you knew you could access a shared car easily near your home and near your work, then this may cut down the need to own a car, in the same way many people now cycle without owning a bike.

Thirdly automated cars - this depends on technology that isn't fully proven yet outside of limited areas. I suspect road layouts in Europe will be a particular challenge as you get much narrower, twistier layouts than the US and newly developed regions of China for example. But assuming automation is proven, it basically becomes a much much cheaper taxi service, where you can easily and reliably have a car come to you and take you to your destination, negating the need for a car of your own.

Neither car sharing or automated cars will necessarily reduce the number of miles being done and the amount of tailpipe emissions, but if they are then combined with zero emission electric vehicles, they become vastly more efficient as you have a single hit of manufacturing emissions then far far more zero emission mileage once that car is on the road. You can have one electric car operating for 20 hours per day instead of 20 electric cars operating for 1 hour per day.

The key to all of these is that they become so convenient that people don't feel the need to own a car. And if you do live somewhere or have specific needs that still require car ownership, then that is always an option. Preferably electric to keep emissions as low as possible of course. We're already at a tipping point where EVs have comfortably enough range for the vast majority of people and make more sense than ICE when buying a new car as the running cost savings make up for increased initial price, even if all you care about is overall cost of ownership and not the improvement in local air quality or the reduction in emissions. This is not so much the case for second hand yet, but that will trickle down in the coming years.

The average journey distance in 2016 was 14.7 kilometres and on average, took 23.6 minutes to complete. Average journey distance for persons living in Dublin has continued to get shorter, while average journey duration has got longer

• Advertisement

Hmmn are journeys on average not long enough in Dublin to get people to switch to public transport?

A journey of 25 mins seems ok, even at slow speed. Replacing that with a bus.. most people will be a 10 minutes between the walk and wait at the bus stop and you're already approaching 40% of the journey time. Could be half before you're on the bus at all if it's not on time. Hard to compete with

Advertisement