Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

The Trump point could be come extremely negative if there’s ever any connection found between the U.K. and Trump’s election.

There was already Cambridge Analytica and there’s a lot of crossover between various characters and organisations on the fringes of politics.

Hell hath no fury like an American public waking up with a hangover… and I think we are only seeing the very early stages of the Trump unravelling. That’s going to get extremely messy as 2022 and 2023 roll on. 🍿

I don't know why they'd really think they could sign a deal with the US under Trump. A trade deal couldn't be an executive order, and Trump's Northern Ireland envoy issued a warning about the border. If that was the plan all along, they wouldn't have extended Brexit until the end of Trump's term when he couldn't do it.

It's possible they thought something rosy was going to happen, I suppose in the same way they thought Brexit would be a doddle, but it wasn't going to happen. Trump was so America First, and his supporters the same, a trade deal with the UK wouldn't be worth the fight to get it through the Ways and Means committee. And even then, services have to be done effectively state by state. It's nothing like being in the EU.

I'll never understand how people can consume so much news and media from the US and not understand that both sides of the house have strong ties with Ireland. It's like people have become to overwhelmed with information they resort to Democrats good EU good Republicans bad Brexit bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

I've been telling since 2016 that the UK is becoming "Western Russia". Yes, it's slightly exaggerated but not far away from the truth and it's been moving to that direction - oligarchic pseudo-democracy with a facade of democracy, government of corrupted liars and thieves and, country with a very strong pro-government propaganda press, a country with a nuclear arsenal and post-imperial heritage. There are many parallels to Russia in the fact.

You could call this UK regime a Western version of Orbán's Hungary or Kaczynski's Poland if you think the parallel with Russia goes too far...

Post edited by McGiver on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Trump's trade partners usually got exactly what they wanted from him, he was a very weak negotiator.

Even allowing for that there is no trade deal from any country or all that is gonna make up for the loss through Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I think their lack of a written constitution and their disastrous FPTP system leaves them extremely vulnerable. Virtually everyone in the Brexit wing of the Tory Party and those who write for and control the right wing press is a wrong 'un and not to be trusted. British democracy could remain secure only as long as fairly decent and respectable people remained at the helm.....this shower are dragging it down to never seen before depths.

• Advertisement

Exactly, I see the FPTP as the primary reason. If they had some sort of a PR the lack of a codified constitution is not such a big deal. However, the FPTP and absence of a proper constitution is an explosive combo which needed only only time to end up as it did. It was not a matter of if but when it would happen. Gutter press, social media amplification, Cambridge Analytica, Russian disinformation war all greatly contributed but FPTP was key. Without FPTP Brexit and Johnsonism would have been much harder yo achieve and likely not even possible.

Post edited by McGiver on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Being reported that David Frost has quit the UK government. Quite the shock, be interesting to see how this develops. Presumably his successor will be one to really shake up the EU and make them see sense (as the Express will doubtless declare)

Brexit minister Lord Frost walks out on Boris | Daily Mail Online

Interesting to see if this is over Brexit / the Protocol or if he has had a falling out with Johnson on some other issue. Reports say he is unhappy with the 'political direction' the UK Govt is taking.

Probably good news from the point of view of the Protocol. Most observers felt Frost was a terrible negotiator, anti-EU / Europe and a not particularly pleasant person to have to deal with.

Edit : it's not the Protocol that's bugging him, rather all the other stuff like Covid, net zero and tax rises.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Britains Brexit Minister has resigned in protest at the terrible Brexit deal that he, as Brexit Minister, negotiated.

Interesting development...

What happens now?

Šefčovič must be exhaling in jubilation, he can get a break, at least for a while. Can someone worse than Frost replace Frost? 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

He made a speech a couple of weeks ago decrying the high tax direction of the govt and extolling regulatory independence; he is very popular with the party members due to his aggressive approach and I would not be surprised to see him look for the next safe seat (he would have fancied this week's one); I suspect he has his sights set on the top job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

That's surprising but only because I hadn't seen the possibility really talked about.

Makes sense I suppose. Other reasons will be given but a lot of it would be Brexit and his discomfort at how it played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The chaos of the UK government that keeps on giving. Better than any reality tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭maebee

saying he's 'disillusioned' with the Government's Covid Plan B restrictions, vaccine passports, tax hikes and the cost of Net Zero green agenda

Lord Brexit is blaming everything under the sun except the real reason.

Is he even a member of the Conservative Party? He's never actually stood for election for them at any level, not even as a local councillor.

Must be a big protocol u turn coming if Frost has resigned. He talked tough for so long he couldn’t face a big climb down.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I would think that he doesn't want to be linked to Johnson any longer now that Boris is a dead man walking.

Just as Frost switched from, if not a Europhile, but at least a Euro-pragmatist when Brexit was the only game in town, he'll now portray himself as the reddest of raw meat Small Statists to keep in with the ERG elements in the Conservative party.

Let's face it, it will be p1ss-easy for someone like Frost to say that he could have done X,Y or Z about the NIP or the limitations of the "Oven Ready" deal but Blundering Boris, who never reads a policy document let alone understands one, was against it. Who'll believe Boris The Liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Is frosts resignation yet another dead cat from Boris

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or a dead cat from Frost.

NI protocol is going badly for him, so he resigns before anyone notices his finger prints were all over it. His tough talking is only going nowhere, but badly, and the end of that road is approaching fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Doubt it. Frost is Johnsons Brexit lead. He was able to run Brexit with little or no scrutiny.

This is a major blow for Brexit. Frost, if one recalls, was appointed because TM and Ollie Robbins had been too eager to please the EU and Frost was going to hammer them. And he was clearly very anti EU.

IMO Johnson or someone close, has seen the dead end they are facing and looking for a bit of back tracking, and that would have gone down badly with Frost.

While no doubt this will be spun as something different, and I see the excuse is Covid reg and tax rises, Frost was in the cabinet for one reason only, he should have no position on those things as, according to his own Tory colleagues, he should be ignored as he wasn't democratically elected.

His replacement, and how fast they line one up, will be very telling in which direction Johnson is planning on going.

Post edited by Leroy42 on

He got Brexit done!.nothing to do with caving in on the ecj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ladies and gents, font be getting to excited over frosty resignation letter, I am betting he turns up in Brussels next Jan as the british brexit negotiator claiming the resignation letter that frosty wrote and peppa accepted needs to be withdrawn immediately as it was a bad resignation letter.

The EU suspect the resignation letter has been written in bad faith, and are reserving judgment until they actually see frosty has actually resigned

I'd say the chances of being a Tory Leader, without being an MP are slim to none. So, it's a bit of a wasted flounce off and toys thrown out of the pram moment.

Get a load of this : a leaked WhatsApp conversation this evening from what appears to be the ERG, discussing Frost's departure.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472331053775958016

Steve Baker is implying that he persuaded Farage to drop out of the election, thus helping the Tories get their massive majority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posts with insults removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

As Faisal points out, Frost laying out what was clearly the reason behind Brexit all the time. Cut in regulations and reduction of taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Fantastic tweet from Ken Clarke:

Schadenfreude comes to mind …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"and the WhatsApp Group". Politics today in a nutshell.

Advertisement