Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESRI confirms Irish welfare dependent population is TWICE that of Germany or France

• 18-12-2021 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

New ESRI report says around 12% of Irish households containing working age people have no earners and are entirely dependent on the welfare state. This compares with 6% in France, Germany or Sweden, model nations for the Irish left. The equivalent figure in the UK is 8%.

It also blows away the false statistic of Irish unemployment rate of 5% or so pre-Covid. That's 5% of those looking for a job do not currently have one. Not 5% of the entire working age population. There's an enormous non-employed hidden population, comfortable on welfare.

So what is this uniquely Irish phenomenon? The truth is an enormous cohort of Irish are better off on welfare than in low paid work, because welfare is way too high compared with jobs at their appropriate skill level. No wonder there is such a focus on social housing in this country, a huge number of people are expecting the nanny state to take care of them cradle to grave. The system is crying out for thorough reform. And by the way, when was the last time you heard of a welfare to work program from our government? We just seem to accept the situation, it's ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Does that include PUP recipients?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Social welfare should only ever be a short term safety net ,but our system is a 4 bed front and back garden with comfortable furniture and a duvet ,

There needs to a full review of the whole system from top to bottom ,more people should be made to take up training and employment and not be allowed to have benefits from the cradle to the grave without ever having to make an effort , when you look at it we spend 100bn every 5 years on welfare that's crazy for our population

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

there are 2 types of unemployed. One is quite happy to be on welfare and the other just can’t get out of the trap. One plays the system and the other doesn’t know how. I’ve met both types. The happy on welfare one I know is living pretty well with holidays abroad every year, nice new house paid for by state the other is in poverty and can’t pay to fix their heating system. It won’t change as every time an attempt to at least discuss it, it’s met with nonsense as an attack on the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they look at the comparison to their country of those claiming disability here it will fully blow them away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hardly surprising. I think the worrying aspect from a societal point of view is the generational one, incentivising the bringing in to this world of children and the more the better who will know nothing of work, won't be encouraged to do well for themselves and will be the next generation of life time dependents.

The other thing is this system is not sustainable. Someone is paying for all of this at the end of the day.

Something has to be done. The whole system needs serious reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Until they bring in a proper living wage instead of the minimum wage it will still mean alot of families are better off on welfare than working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The other option is to reduce welfare.

The benefits of reducing welfare as an inducement are it costs us all less and the former dole recipient is now in employment getting work experience and used to a culture of work.

As things stand now you can be born in this country and never work a day in your life.

It's all arseways.

• Advertisement

Totally agree but can't see that happening.

All I hear on the radio is how social welfare has to rise because of cost of living. No word of wages rising.

Also with social welfare lots of add ons, medical card, rent subsidies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you reduce welfare it'll actually cost jobs as nearly every penny of welfare is back into the economy, PUP saved the banks arse again, I think that free health care for all would do more to help people escape welfare trap than anything else, the loss of a medical card is more of a block to people taking up employment than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

Can someone explain to me where or how I can draw the dole (200 odd a week) and also afford foreign holidays etc as people claim?

Also what’s this shite about new houses or something? Have any of the councils built new houses recently? I know a few people in social housing, they are not new builds, lovely houses in fairness though but nothing most people can’t afford to rent/buy anyway.

any reasonable discussion about the welfare state in Ireland is immediately made a farce by the “free house” and other similar fallacy brigade. Guess what guys - they’re NOT free - you pay rent! I know of a few people paying upwards of €70 odd a week. “Sure that’s nothing!”

yeah, no prob, please reduce your wages to €130 a week and live on that for a few weeks and come back to me.

so many absolutely rubbish things spouted left and right on the subject of social welfare, in my years here I swear I couldn’t begin to count the amount of times. Funny too that there’s always “I know a friend of someone who knows an aunt of someone I ran into on the street, well they’re on the dole anyway and they go to Spain every year!”

I bet it’s happening, but the type of people doing it are either:

1. Getting loans, somewhere, from someone
    2. making extra income, likely in cash, possibly illegally.

because let me promise you, no one on welfare full time is having a foreign holiday every year just on that money. It’s simply not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

That's what corporation tax and the MNC tax take is for n that's going to increase forever so we're grand!

Well it better coz we're the third most indebted country in the developed world. What could possibly go wrong?!

Are we?

according to Wikipedia Ireland doesn’t even rank in the top 10.

edit; we’re 31, for anyone curious.

Someone needs to update Wikipedia

Ireland is the THIRD most indebted country in the developed world with €201 billion mountain of debt

The debt equates to every man, woman and child in Ireland owing €42,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wages are already quite high in Ireland especially when one looks at the minimum wage. The problem in Ireland for both workers and welfare recipients is that the €uro in the pocket doesn't have much purchasing power. One of the reasons for this is government taxes (excluding income taxes) which drive up the costs of things that should be cheaper.

Social welfare rates also need to be reformed - 80% of your last job's wages for three months, falling to 60% after six months, falling further to minimum social welfare rates after one year.

Medical cards are another fiasco. I would argue that three tiers or a traffic light system needs to be introduced. Getting a card is based on health needs. A perfectly healthy person should get a green medical card loaded with six annual doctors visits and two hospital visits covered. After that you're paying. Someone with an ongoing but manageable health condition could get an amber card with say twice as much as the green card. And finally, someone with a serious illness and life limiting health condition could get a red card with unlimited healthcare access.

Green medical cards would be rolled out to the whole population and it would be also illegal for hospitals to charge for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

I lived abroad for years and moved home in the middle of the recession.I was keen to get a job but applied for the dole aswell.

I was living at home and my parents explained that they wouldn't accept any money from me. (I of course did contribute indirectly)

I couldn't believe it,I'd head into the post office every Tuesday and they'd literally hand me cash.I was out for pints most weekends and could still save money,a cheap holiday in Spain was had too.This all started in January,I got an interview for a job about April and was offered it.I thought about it for a while and then thought fùck it I'll leave it til after the summer,I was enjoying myself.

Now I know not everybody on the dole was in the same situation as me but there was no incentive to get a job and that's not the way it should be.I got a bit bored after a year and got back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Certainly is out of date. It’s currently over €48k per capita, c. €20k above the EU average

• Advertisement

So basically unless you’re not a real adult you can’t afford these holidays yearly?

ok good enough.

Here's a gaff in Balbriggan to rent at the minute, e2100 a month for a townhouse! Totally unsustainable for a working couple paying their way. The government will rent it on hap no bother and the tenants pony up 40 quid a week. Would you blame people for not bothering?!

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-28-bremore-pastures-drive-balbriggan-co-dublin/3656726

Aha more nonsense.

the limit for DCC at the minute for a lone parent/couple with THREE children is €1,300 p/m.

so, no, they certainly won’t. And if you’re just a couple with no kids the limits €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

I thought the thread was about how generous the dole is,I gave you an example of my experience on the dole.I was able to save,have nights out and go on a foreign holiday.

Im sorry it doesn't suit your narrative.

Article was 3 years ago, good I hope we're in the middle of the pack now so

Good idea for the medical card.

We only attend a doctor when it's a very big must. As well as losing a couple of hours it always costs me a days wages or more for visit and medication. Yet some I know can attend for the simplest of complaints. Not fair.

You lived at home with your parents and contributed on the sly, which is fair enough, but my point is, if you’re living in your own place, paying rent and utility bills, you’re not gonna afford drinks every weekend and trips to Spain.

Exactly how is €200 a week (from age 25 and up it starts at €100 or so) generous? Would you work 40hr a week for €200 in wages? or would you give up your job to live on €200 a week? I certainly wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Worse I would expect. Sure we're throwing about billions for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

We've had the most comprehensive shutdowns of 2020-1 in Europe and the world, effectively embargoing parts of our real economy and subsidising closed businesses with debt-based stimulus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

A lick of sense among the usual reactionary drivel.

Advertisement