Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think the opposite will happen. If Russell shows speed from the off then I think they will let them race. They will both be out to knock Max off his perch. That will be the target, not each other.

Could get very feisty between Red Bull and Mercedes next year. Hamilton had to drive on eggshells around Max for the last 4 races to get back into championship. The leash will be off from get go next season.

That's assuming another team or two doesn't join the party at the front of the grid. Even better if it does.

Overtaking rules will be clarified over the winter so everyone will also know where they stand.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Problem will be if they race each other too hard that it allows Max to run off into the distance.

Russell will play the 2nd fiddle. Merc will be desperate more than ever for Hamilton to win #8 and I think Russell will be too, knowing that if he can play the rear gunner that his time to challenge will come.

Merc will want Russell to be able to pick up the pieces if something happens to Hamilton in a race too, similar to Checo in Baku. That’s where he’ll be forced make his case for 2023 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Rosberg mentioned on Sunday that Mercedes always start the season allowing both drivers to race. As to how accurate that is, I don't know but I reckon Russell will be given a fairer shot than Checo.

Hopefully we can get at least a 3-way battle though - the polarisation this year was very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Really hope Ferrari come through with a strong car in 2022 but they are still hampered with that engine unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Didn’t they hire a load of Merc people over the past year for the engine division also?

• Advertisement

I can see McLaren, Ferrari and Alpine all being much stronger. It’s a very big rule change, so I really hope we get a bit of 2009 from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They did, and they will need some time to gel with the ex Honda people to form a team, plus as late as the Russian Grand Prix in September, they still didn't have a base as it was still under construction. (Channel 4 visited the site). Doubt Honda allowed another team develop an engine on their site.

Mercedes-Benz won't be resting on their laurels either, especially as one of those laurels was taken away at the very last second. Their engine was superior towards the end of last year. Remember Hamiltons and Perez drag race in Turkey. Yes Checo went into T1 first but he had the inside and had that been a last lap dash for the finish line, Hamilton had it won. Plus the incredible field carving in Brazil. No two ways about it, that was impressive. Red Bull are on a back foot right now. That could change come pre season testing but I can't see how.

Well there engine was also giving them big reliability issues, and their drop off over its life was probably the biggest on the grid, you saw how much it effected Bottas at the weekend when they had to change his ICE.

There was a video from The Race about how RB would still have Honda help for a period of time after they “leave”, I don’t think just because Honda will be gone that they will lose performance. Sure, there will be a learning curve, but I still expect the good teams to be towards the front.

hard to even guess right now anyway, both RB and Merc put a lot into the last part of the season, whereas other teams were investing in 2022 from an early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Best thing that can happen in 2022 is that Russell wins the first 3 races. Max is 2nd/3rd in each of them. Lewis fails to point in any of them.

Mercedes would then be in a position where they'd have to let both cars race each other, and not favour Lewis, as Russell would have a good lead. It could give us a great Championship.

Very unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

How could Checo be given a "fair shot"? He wasn't number 2 because of team orders, he was number 2 because on the vast majority of weekends he couldn't get within an ass's roar of Max.

If Russell can match Hamilton's speed then they'll have no choice but to let them race. A number 2 driver situation can realistically only be enforced when one driver is already dominant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They won't WANT another Rosberg situation but they have little choice but to manage it IF it arises. They won't tell Russell to slow down in quali or give the win to Hamilton if Russell is ahead. They'll just have to manage it so the team stays united and doesn't turn into civil war.

They learned loads about what happens in an intra-team battle in 2016. I think they'll just have to implement those lessons if that situation arises next year.

Yes. And that was part of the animosity between them this year. RB were poaching staff to fill roles in their new engine department. It's only natural to poach staff and only natural to resent them doing it.

Yup, its been on and off track all year. Clever from RB to try and get them, I think Aston also got a few for their aero department, so Merc have indeed lost quite a few personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd have had more respect for Toto, if Mercedes had just persisted with the formal appeal, rather than withdrawing it and proceeding to whinge like a little bitch about principles and loyalties and values.

Either Masi was right and 100% right, or wrong and 100% wrong. Mercedes should either have the courage of their convictions and go legal or send the message that he was right and the fault for Hamilton's loss ended up being theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I love the way Toto said he won’t be attending tonight’s ceremony because of “personal integrity”. I would have thought that showing integrity would mean putting your personal gripes aside, presenting yourself as a professional and attending as the principle for the constructors champions! What do I know eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

My reading of that statement is just them reacting to the criticism of their actions by ticking the acknowledgement boxes but they still have a massive sulk on.

Losing faith in racing?? "Don't bring out a safety car to bunch the field we don't want to have a race"

Competition should be won on merit? They did win the Constructors on merit. That line suggests Max did nothing to merit his win, awful choice of words.

Interested in sporting fairness? "We want everyone to switch to an engine we have been developing for years"

Then they launch into a Lewis fest before a quick nod to bottas for taking part in the five Constructors championships.

The only good thing is the commission being set up to look at the rules with EVERYBODY involved.

Hamilton is snubbing the prize giving event too along with Wolff. Sour losers. Interesting that the Sporting Regulations require Hamilton to attend:

6.6: The drivers finishing first, second and third in the Championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize Giving ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Instead of going to the prize giving event, Toto will be blessing the rains in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

Well precisely, it gives a perfect insight into his personal integrity. James Allison is there at least and he's the one responsible for the actual car which makes him the most valuable member of the team in reality. I'd imagine he and many other staff at Mercedes are utterly embarrassed at the way Toto and Lewis have behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Perhaps Michael Masi has the authority to override that article too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

He obviously gave him a pardon, fair play Masi, another fantastic decision.

He'll probably change his mind 30s before the ceremony is due to begin, after Christian Horner gives him a quick call.

I'd nearly prefer if they went ahead with the appeal. All we're going to get now is Toto and Hamilton crying and moaning like babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if i dont hear from toto for a season,without missing any action, it will be of great benefit to me. i used to like him,fake holier than thou attitude sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think his "this is manipulated" comment is pretty poor to be honest. I doubt Masi even knew the tyre situation during the SC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

But it was manipulated, whether with devious intentions or not it was manipulated so that all cars between Max and Lewis were cleared so they would be right with each other for a 1 lap shootout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Masi knew Verstappen had pitted. Knowing where all the cars are is part of the job. From where Lewis was sitting, right in the middle of the race, of course it looked manipulated. He didn't have the full story. I have to agree that it does look like some messy manipulation, I concede that Masi was within his rights to do it, but I still think it was the wrong call. Should have red flagged it and had a Baku style shoot out for the line. But that's by the by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement