Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Maybe they're willing to take a hit to get out and the FIA gave them the excuse. They've been dominant for the last decade or so. Are they getting the same return on their few hundred million a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

There’s no chance in hell they’re pulling out.

They’re still trying to figure out an angle to steal the championship in the courts and don’t want to say anything publicly until they’ve either figured out what their case is or they’ve realised they can’t win in which case they’ll announce they concede in the name of sportsmanship and continue their smear campaign in the media.

I think they’re being evaluated, there was talk for a while of them being an official FIA mandated thing showing information for fans such as current position. Can’t imagine any team would run them independently, maybe helps your sponsor stand out but it serves no performance purpose, you have to account for it in your construction and structural integrity, and it’s extra weight and a drain on power, however tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do you honestly believe 1000+ people are about to lose their jobs shortly before Christmas, jobs which they have carried out to perfection for the last 8 years+, because Toto threw a tantrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The championship result isn't going to change so an appeal is pointless. They should just accept the results on the condition that this kind of thing can never happen again. Not just the safety car thing though, the running cars of track, the brake testing, all that kind of thing will need to be penalised properly next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Well the team would be sold. But, (not siding with Mercedes), if you were in their shoes, and you believe you were just robbed of a championship that cost a lot to compete in, would you invest that money again? If the top brass in Mercedes wanted all this stopped then it would be stopped so it's probably not just Toto. Maybe they're thinking that half billion would be better spent making the emissions scandal go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I was expecting them to not go ahead with the appeal. Inthinkntjeynhad 72 hours from the race to indicate that they were going ahead with the appeal. And I expected them to do some horse trading with the FIA and drip the appealing exchange for some things they wanted such as getting their way on the new engine regulations or or aero rules or legacy payments or something like that.

I'll still be surprised if they really go ahead with the appeal all the way to the court of arbitration. We'll just have to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

And more importantly they need to be consistent across all competitors and track limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭McFly85

Exactly what should happen, so it’s good to hear.

Mercedes, once again proving the only thing they care about is Lewis Hamilton. An 8th consecutive constructors championship is an incredible achievement, but Lewis didn’t do it so let’s not bother with it. Disgraceful, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Incredibly unsportsmanlike of Mercedes to be avoiding PR shoots and refraining from any public comment, and I also feel for all the engineers and factory workers who worked so hard all year to not have any acknowledgement.

Toto must have had an insane bonus clause based on Hamilton winning the title for all this apparent pettiness.

Hope Bottas is celebrating with his team in the background at least..

Fines for failure to appear? Would be nice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A really good watch this. He explains it very well. Beautiful looking too they are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm guessing you haven't seen the video of Botta's crowd surfing and Toto off his tits pissed singing after the race on Sunday then...

They are getting so much media attention by just staying quiet, It's actually genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This paragraph in the FIA statement rankles me:

"The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes."

They blame everyone else but themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Good. Only issue I have with regulations is the ability for the RD to change his mind on a decision at the 11th hour. Yes, he should have final say on the safety car and on other areas covered in the regulations, but not to the extent where it creates the chaos and confusion we saw on Sunday.

I say this because if it happens again, then it could result in something that causes widespread anger across motorsport communities.

I feel for Max in a way, because it's coming to Thursday and only now are people actually reflecting on his performance to win the championship. His thunder has been completely stolen by Masi.

Now, I doubt Max cares that much because he's still World Champion, but it's not right that what should be a special day for the sport in crowning a new champion has been dominated by what the officials did. This is the case for any sport, not just motor racing.

David Croft made a good point, in that Charlie Whiting had Herbie Blash on his side which helped him big time. Give Masi a Herbie Blash, if anything to deal with the team principals while Masi actually tries to process everything that's happening at 100mph.

Being reported that Mercedes will drop their appeal due to Hamilton’s intervention.

Fair play to him. You’d imagine how upset he would be about how it ended up, but at least he’s being a sportsman about it.

I think he'd hate to win it in a court room and they'd both hate to have a joint championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I don't think it's proof at all. Yes, Alonso is still clearly an above average driver. But would he beat the Alonso of 5-10 years ago? I highly doubt it.

• Advertisement

Red Bull are going to take some time getting that ex Honda unit up to speed next year, so unless Ferrari have something hidden up their sleeve next year is going to be Hamilton v Russell. Let Max have this one. Next year should be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

To be fair if that’s true he’s gone up even more in my estimation. I’ve never been his biggest fan and have said as much on this forum a number of times but the way he handled himself on Sunday was class and if he’s the one getting the appeal dropped then hats off to him!

Why would you want it easier? Surely you want a competition between teams or do you only want handy championships?

I expressed no "want" or "desire" in that post. I just shared my interpretation of the situation in Formula1 right now.

Hamilton v Russell has the potential to be interesting. Russell is a much better driver than Bottas and with the new car they’ll both be on level terms in terms of familiarity.

Hamilton is obviously the better driver and I think Russell will be told to play support next season as I imagine breaking the WDC record is the priority. But on the off chance that Russell shows good pace early on, will Mercedes let them race eachother?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Are they? Engine freeze and Honda will be working in the background so I don't think much will change there , hopefully not

The engines aren't frozen, they can be developed for next year. The regulations are the same so it's not an overhaul like the chassis, but there will definitely be performance gains. Honda are still involved but they're in the process of handing things over and that's almost certain to be a distraction from performance development.

I'd be surprised if Red Bull don't fall back a little bit next year for that reason, but by the same token I wouldn't say that means it's a slam dunk for Mercedes. The new regs give the likes of Ferrari and Alpine the perfect opportunity to move forward, who if they have any sense will have been totally focused on 2022 while the others were preoccupied with the championship.

After how this season ended Russell will be put firmly in his box. The #1 priority for Toto and Mercedes next year will be to get Hamilton his 8th WDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They wont want another Rosberg situation but I couldnt see him troubling Hamilton in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Reckon if Merc are strong next season it will be a Hamilton championship with Russel told to learn from him to be number 1 the year after, with Hamilton retiring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement