Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who reluctantly got vaccinated, how has your life been affected?

• 03-12-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Why did you decide to get vaccinated and what happened afterwards? Did your life drastically change or did you just forget about it and move on pretty quickly?

I have 2 or 3 colleagues who were somewhat anti vax, not over the top protesters or anything. Just the usual unsafe, untested, no data etc etc. But after getting vaxed over the summer they just don't seem to go on as much.

I always wondered why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Why don't you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

I tried, told me to F off. Narky older teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

I gave in to the pressure to get vaccination...sooo not worth it now...have never used nor show the vax passport...wont be getting another....fool me once.....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

How did it effect your life in the days/weeks after getting it? Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

They have moved on to the ''My Child is not wearing a mask to school Brigade'' and frantically searching online for something new to be ''Outraged'' about next week. ****....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just wanted to go on holiday so got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I got the jab as I wanted to go on holidays. I had nasty heart palpitations after getting the second jab. I've only used the cert once, and that was going into France, wasnt checked on the return. My local doesnt check it either. I've a few buddies from the gym who didn't get the jab and a few have got covid but they were either asymptomatic (one guy was asked to do a PCR test and only found out then he had it) or had very very mild symptoms. After the heart palpitations I'm not sure I'd get it in hindsight, could have skipped the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

Heart palpitations in the week after...but nothing since then..waste of time in my opinion..look at todays farce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had the overwhelming urge to download Microsoft Windows into my head.

Serious answer? Though I'm not a reluctant vaccine type so maybe I'm not the target audience. I'm fully behind vaccines. They've changed the world immeasurably for the better. I thought about it and did a lot of reading(not from loonies on the Facetube) and decided on the J&J viralvector vaccine over the mRNA type. The Oxford AZ also viralvector would have been the second choice.

Since then I've only been asked for the cert once and even then because I was holding up proceedings digging through my phone they just moved me on. Had no reaction to the vaccine itself. I've since been exposed to three positive clusters in the last six weeks and came back negative each time(I did catch covid in Jan this year. lost smell and taste that was it, so maybe that and the vaccine on top added to resistance).

Other than that I pretty much forgot about it tbh. The vast majority of people I would deal with would be vaccinated so I suppose they expect the same of others and me, so was never asked really.

I am happy to get a booster in time, but only if it's not of the mRNA kind. I'm willing to pay for that choice. That's about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Could you share your reasons re the MRnA vaccines? I took Pzfier. Should I be worried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wife had the same. Ended up being referred to A&E by her gp.

She's getting no more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not at all Ellie. You'll almost certainly be grand. Just a personal idiosyncrasy on my part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Uninjected. I wouldn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

After having a bad flu in January 2020 which was suspected covid, I was left with a wicked cough for months and months afterwards.

could be co-incidence but that cough only left after I got the J&J vaccine. Apart from an afternoon of feeling like crap I was fine. Got the booster recently and nothing at all happened.

coming home for the first time in two years shortly and can’t wait. PCR test to be booked for next week.

was reluctant at first but it did have benefits. Booster was got so I could go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Most definitely coincidence, a vaccine doesn't "cure" anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Quite interested in hearing folks saying they've only used their vaccine passport one or two times. Do you not go out very much?

I've used mine hundreds of times at this stage. Any time I want to go into a restaurant or a bar in Dublin I've been asked - on a few occasions I've been asked to produce ID to confirm the names match up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I'm always amused at people getting the vaccination solely to go on hols, go to the pub etc. as if that's the sole purpose of the vaccine. The purpose of the vaccination isn't to let you go on hols, to the pub or the cinema, it's to help your body fight the virus and increase the odds of you having mild symptoms and not ending up severely ill or in a box.

Will there be any long-term effects from taking the vaccine/boosters, I can't be sure to be honest. But I've witnessed the devastating effects of COVID on some of my friends and acquaintances (one dead/several with long COVID) and that is making me think that the vaccine is the best choice to make at present.

By the way, even though I'm in favour of the vaccine, I'm not a fan of the vaccine pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Yes like you Oisin i've been asked every time i go somewhere in Dublin, the Id thing has only happened recently. As for the vaccine i got it so i could have a pint in a near empty pub ! I've had the 2 jabs but won't get anymore it's time we moved on and started getting back to normal. We are being held ransom to the fact there is only 140 icu beds, this is the big problem that needs to be resolved instead of blowing millions and millions on booster jabs, you should also see the amount the tax payer is paying in late payment interest alone it would seriously shock people.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I managed to get my first jab quite a bit earlier than a lot of folks, there was a lovely time there alright where I could have a pint and read a paper in almost solitude alright while everyone else sat outside :D

Have a few medical issues myself which would not gel well with Covid, so got my booster there last week. Definitely agree that we need to move on at this stage, If we can't get back to normal with this number of people vaccinated then we never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

wanted to not need PCR for holidays and go the pub at home etc, had no desire to get it.

got it, got covid about 2 days later, (which turned out to be a joke), got the second jab few months later.

i didnt want to get vaccinated as i didnt think i needed it, turned out i was right. doesnt matter now though i suppose.

will not be getting a booster, especially as i had the cold already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I got vaccinated and when the passports came out I never darkened the doors of any establishment such as bars, restaurants,cafes or similar places.

I went to the cinema until they started implementation of passports there too. I won't enter those places until they scrap those passports, nor will I stay in a hotel because of the medical apartheid.

My partner isn't vaccinated and I've no issue with that, I love her and the media, political classes,senior civil servants and the other ilk ain't taking that from us...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And the reluctant ones that get vaccinated are usually the ones with heart palpitations and other symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed. That said, maybe it got the immune system beefed up, which then said "oh yeah theres a cough here, lets fix that little bit of virus". No science behind that whatsoever, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Leo has said there may be more restrictions recommend by Nphet. After getting two jabs and a booster program under way I find that insulting to the people who have in the majority played ball. And I know there is a new variant but the data shows the best protection is with going with the booster. If that's the case why more restriction.

How has my life been affected? The same as every one else, but feel like there is something else going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shauna677

You don't travel then? I recently flew back from Germany, had to show the pass twice at the airport before I was even allowed to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

140 ICU beds nationwide is the problem,how many boosters will we need to keep hiding this fact, maybe a few more vaccines.

Sure tax payers are only paying millions a month for them but mehole and leo are still in power. It's a farce i'd rather be in an icu bed than live much longer like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I recognise so many names here I thought I was on another forum for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Just wait til they start deactivating peoples covid certs if they don't have the latest booster. That's when the real fun will begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I thought hotels allowed unvaccinated stay and use bar etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

My Mrs. went to Amsterdam about 6 weeks ago with two friends, one of whom was unvaccinated. Her unvaccinated friend was required to get a test before going and one before coming home. Nobody asked her at any stage of both journeys for her test results. We (and Holland) were very lax at following up on the regulations.

Advertisement