Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Your missing the point. Whatever had to be done to rectify and make the homes safe was done. Only want the same done up here.

I really don't think anyone will want their home demolished if not necessary.

But that is down to the engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

You'll get some of that information here:

Suffice it to say, so far, well short of the €3 billion figure. And, as we all appreciate, it not that the pyrite scheme is a precedent for some entitlement. The pyrite scheme either is or isn't better than having to rehouse a bunch of people. The (main) reason this fails for the Mica campaign is because the cost is just prohibitive.

And there's plenty of folk with pyrite in their homes not getting support under the scheme, who have homes that are unsellable (and, once again, let's not forget that even a house that has been through the pyrite scheme won't be attractive to prospective purchasers).

The mica campaign's demand for a full restoration of the market value of all properties is just not practical. And it's not what the pyrite scheme does, either. Nor does it apply to holiday/second homes.

I think that message is getting through - which is why you'll see the discussion moving away from the 100% case, and more on to attacking anyone questioning the 100% case. Fundamentally, the issue is that folk can see that taxpayers collectively have a lot of money. So folk want to be convinced that the taxpayer is to blame in some way, to justify demands for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

I'm not missing the point. There is a huge difference between a government spending €150m and €2-3bn and you and all the campaigners know this but dress it up as we only want what them ones got. Well them ones only got €150m and some people with pyrite got/will get nothing at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You are being deliberately disingenuous now.

Facts and figures have everything to do with this. According to the article posted, the cost to date of the pyrite remediation that you mention is roughly 5% of what these homeowners are demanding. A tiny fraction.

The offer made to the mica homeowners is many multiples greater of anything offered on this pyrite scheme.

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the point .

Some got their homes rectified and never cost them a penny.

Some are being asked to pay anything from €35,000 to €65,000 and higher and higher to have their homes rectified.

Of course if Tens of thousands is not a problem for and your not living the nightmare these families are I can see how you can't grasp it.

I'm not missing the point, I am well aware of how you are trying to spin this.

You are saying because some people got their homes fixed, the precedent has been set and everyone's home must be completely fixed at zero cost to them. You are completely ignoring the real money figures because they represent the inconvenient truth that the numbers being thrown about now are massive compared to anything before and there is no comparison to be made here.

As I said, the cost of the pyrite scheme you are talking about is only about 5% of what Mica homeowners are demanding. They aren't even on the same planet in terms of cost.

As I said if you have a spare 40 or 50 ,000 be a great scheme for some in Donegal.

As I said before different people different circumstances but still only looking for the same end goal.

And. There is no spinning needed.

A good way to minimise or reduce your own outlay is to build a smaller house.

Now we're getting to your real thoughts.

Please go back and read from the start. You will see this has been brought up multiple times.

I expected more from you really.

• Advertisement

No, you are skirting around the point. €35,000 to €65,000 would probably meet 100% of the cost of fixing a pyrite house. Much less than the purchase price of a house.

What you are complaining about is that, in a case where the taxpayer pays €360,000 to rebuild a house under the Mica scheme, the homeowner (according to campaigners - to be clear) could still have additional costs of €65,000.

And, just to be plain, their solution is that the taxpayer should pay €425,000. To rebuild what they see as an "average" 2,400 square foot house (it's actually double the size of the average Irish house, and more than double the average price of a house in Donegal).

It's actually bonkers for the taxpayer to be providing €360,000 in any circumstances, and that's the scheme that folk say isn't good enough.

Just a thought - is it fair to say there's no means test included in the scheme, to see if additional borrowing is actually a problem.

I would have thought my real thoughts were fairly clear throughout.

It seems like an entirely logical step to take, if there is a shortfall between what the taxpayer is going to give you and what you want then it's time to start cutting some costs rather than demanding that the taxpayer give you even more. It's been brought up multiple times because it's common sense.

These people are also tax payers .

And I think they should hold out to get their homes fixed as other citizens of this country did.

Maybe mobile homes or log cabin may be common sense to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They aren't. The pyrite scheme saw houses repaired at a much less expense than even the repairs that are being provided for here. But the protesters are not seeking repair, they want replacement. For everyone. Including investment property. Including holiday homes.

And let's not forget there are people in Donegal that can afford to pay towards their repairs, they just don't want to.

You need to understand that fully state funded replacements for all is not a realistic ask and to come up with workable compromises, like a state loan scheme or equity scheme like fair deal for the affordability problem where it exists and repair is not an option.

No other citizens of this country have ever received anything like what these people are demanding.

Let’s not obfuscate on this point.

I do fully understand something workable is going to have to be worked out.

But asking families to find tens of thousands to still have their homes fixed was how it was put to them with a sliding scale which no one in construction or architects have never heard of.

No workable compromise was put forward to families yet so that is why were still in stalemate.

So no other citizens had their homes made safe and livable when found to have been built with inferior building materials.

Let's not confuse the point. (Easier to understand. )

How much money did these citizens get from the taxpayer compared to the mica demands?

again, this is the uncomfortable truth you are refusing to acknowledge. You are talking as if all they’re demanding is something trivial, a few windows replaced or something. Nonsense, and you know it.

See the difference here is your looking at the money and more to the point what will it cost me. If you're a tax payer.

I'm looking at families and homes being affected emotionally and mentally.

One question, if this was your house. How would you feel.

• Advertisement

Of course I’m looking at the money. Everyone is looking at the money!

This entire campaign is based on those affected wanting more money. It’s all about the money.

FAMILY HOMES.

That's what it's about. But If thinking these families are only looking for money eases your conscience so be it. Telling though you never answered how you would feel if it was your home.

Not much point continuing as you have your mind set as have I.

But at the end of the day it won't be me or you who will be making the final decision so we will have to wait and see.

I just hope the families hold out to get a fair decisiodecision.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

How much are the homeowners looking for to get 100% redress? Just wondering how far apart the 2 sides are at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have I missed something or have you ever awknowledged that lumping investment properties and holidays homes into the mix is a non runner.

And doesn't enhance the case or support for family homes being given a reasonable hearing.

Or did I miss that somewhere.

I wouldn't think there is much you miss sticking your oar in. As they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

It would be cheaper for the tax payer/ government to buy the mortgage from the bank. Buy a mobile home stick it on the site, knock the house and build a new one to suit the families current needs than some of the ideas out there now. But sure that wouldn't suit some.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be cheaper for the state and much more sustainable for the state to build estates of identical 1,400 sqft houses in towns, with sewers and fibre broadband; move the families in to those and knock their existing house.

(yes, I know that some of the affected houses are already in estates)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Yeah but abandoned houses would be some eyesore. At least if the sites were used for new houses the occupants might feel a little better

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'd like the State to project manage 6,000 individual sites, with bespoke designs for each home?

Have you taken leave of your senses?

• Advertisement

I'm sure everyone who is coming up with these fantastic solutions would be overjoyed at them them if they were facing the same situation.

Yeah right.

Talk is cheap.

Advertisement