Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Just checked there. It says they are trying to deliver my parcel but they are experiencing an operational delay .....whatever that means. Havent AoC always used Fastway? This is thei first time I've had an order delayed with them

• Registered Users Posts: 36 samvimes

My Coffee turned up later on Friday, next door had it, prior to them calling in I had contacted both AOC and Fastway, neither have replied to me as of yet. That's to be expected from Fastway but I would have expected better from AOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Took your recommendation on WCC and ordered that Guatemalan Finca El Durazno, Guatemala Asprocdegua and Nicaragua Los Bucaros. All shipped within 2 days and arrived with a roast date within a week.

Tried the Guatemala Asprocdegua so far, very tasty cuppa and everyone I have made a cup for has said the same. Looking forward to trying the other Guatemalan next. Also gave a free sample of Peru to try which was a nice surprise. Good recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Delighted you found it helpful DrZeuss. Their 1kg subscription is great value for money imo.

I just started their new mexican this morning: https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/mexico2

Still dialling it in to be honest. It's pretty strong. Never had a mexican before so finding my feet with it :-D

Mexican sounds interesting alright, may stick it on the next order.

I think I'm going to need to stock up on some of their Guatemalan beans before they go out of stock though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Didn't like Mexican in espresso, pretty basic beans imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just looked at the sub. It's a bit much your paying for a sub up front and them still wanting 4e for shipping, even if it is only a once off.

I think it might just be the way their online shop is set up - i.e. it applies €4 shipping to all orders automatically maybe? I guess they could add 1 euro onto the monthly price and not charge it but personally I think the price point for the sub is very good value so the €4 didn't come into it for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pretty sure Cloudpicker have stopped using them due to orders going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have some coffee on order that is supposed to be delivered by Fastway. They have had the package for 4 days, as of yesterday. Their latest tracking:

"We're trying to deliver this parcel but we have encountered an operational delay."

What does trying mean? They certainly didn't try at my house.

• Advertisement

Saw board walk coffee - roasted 15th Oct - in Donnybrook Fair today. They also sell online:

https://www.boardwalkcoffee.ie/

I was wrong about this one .

It was too fresh at the start , lemon/citrus so intense overwhelmed everything else , few days after definitely got better , could feel more complexity , I think I could recommend this :)

ps. What’s up with WCC recipes , yield in ml instead of grams ?

A ml of water weighs 1 gram.

Oh, and what would it be then? If there is a difference, I doubt cheap Chinese made scales could resolve it. I have some that measure to 1/100th of a gram, I might give it a go on the next shot.

Could be anything , don't you know yourself, half of shot could be creama which takes a lot volume but weight nothing.

No one measures shot by volume anymore it all grams now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

I managed to avail of the promotion. Picked up 1KG of their Lounge Blend. I'm not drinking much espresso myself of late but my eldest has started on the slippery slope so wanted to get her something that she could play with it. It is very suited to milk based drinks, not so great as an espresso and I'm not so sure about their light roasted description! My 250g bag of Yirgacheffe on the other hand was pretty disappointing, or at least it doesn't come out well in a chemex. Not a sign of any of the descriptors which is unusual.

-edit Just spotted the Coffee Bargain thread, can't delete this comment.... grrr

Lots f geishas around at the moment for Xmas - is it worth the price? Never tried one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

deffo not worth the price, but if you can buy one then do it at least once imo

it's like any top end product that rich people can afford, sometimes scarcity is the value

have you ever drank a geisha? no......would you like to? yep.....and therein is the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I've been out of the Espresso game for a while but getting a machine at Christmas. Going to pick up some beans to play with. Is there a thread go-to bean these days? Was thinking of Aoc (Artessa) Fusion blend as I've seen it mentioned lots. Previously been a fan of Mahers Italian Blend but not looking to go as dark this time.

Looking for a nice middle of the road bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Artessa used to do free delivery €30 and over, it’s up to €40 now. I’d recommend Fusion, plus I got the Columbia Narino Finca grinded for cafetière and it was really nice.

must actually put in an order before Xmas cut off delivery date

Post edited by mad m on

Can recommend The Good Bean Guatemala (unfortunately not in stock on their site currently) or West Cork Coffee Guatemala

Its lovely in a bean to cup machine at least, have gotten plenty of compliments on cuppas.

Quite tasty too. (I think I have a Guatemala problem)

Keep an eye on their twitter as they often have discount codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what irish roasters have geishas at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bell Lane swapped a bag from our 1kg subscription with a bag of their single origin Christmas coffee along with a few chocolates and a 15% off code, nice touch. I was meaning to get a Christmas coffee from somewhere but never got around to it! :)

I really wish bell lane would do a 1kg single origin sub! The 250g bags are just too expensive imo as you are paying delivery for one bag essentially.

Ad it also drives me NUTS they don't do their filter blends as beans - have contacted them directly about it to suggest it, but no change. I honestly don't know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

I was given a v60 for Christmas and have been figuring it out. I got three bags of beans from Soma after a few practice runs with some dark roast beans.

The Honduran Finca Belen is a coffee I can't quite figure out. It's all in mouthfeel and acidity, some rounded strength to it all depending on where you taste in your mouth. It reminds me of Beamish in a lot of ways, with some botanicals to it, but this is all on mouthfeel. Their description of peach is probably accurate in taste but it's a little more tangy than that. It's been my go to when I want a solid cup.

The Ethopian Bale Mountain Washed is interesting but probably my least favourite. The lime they say is in it really comes through, maybe too much. I found, however, using 16gm of coffee instead of 18gm to 300mg of water really made me work on identifying notes. A lot of the same beans natural flavours came through that way, somehow.

The Costa Rican Finca Licho is my first natural coffee and will definitely get me seeking out more natural processed. My first cup it had a lot of liquor to it. It was lovely. It's a real discovery every time I have it and it's probably the fastest I drink any of the three beans.

I'm happily cycling through the three bags on my v60 and which I'll go for will depend on my mood because they're all really distinct coffees that definitely suit different notions you'd get into your head. This is great, because it's exactly what I asked the guy in the café for to showcase the range of specialty coffees available for my first go-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Soma Ethiopian Bale Mountain is really balanced through the Kalita Wave/Origami with wave filter for me. It tasted quite hollow to me through my v60, couldn't quite nail the grind on it.

I've really enjoyed the natural Ethiopian beans from Café Moly in Cork over the last few weeks. One of my favourite roasters at the moment, their velvet blend is nice as a pour over or as an espresso IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Is freezing the best way to keep beans fresh if Im not gonna use them in the next couple of weeks? And if so, is it OK to freeze in the bag? Have a few 250g bags I want to keep fresh

Advertisement