Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Challenge University Vaccine Pass Policy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why is routine testing not acceptable for a clinical placement?

Irish Council for Civil Liberties says test results should be an option for the passes.

That's what most countries allow and no one objects so why are there so many bitter Irish people chafing at the thought of allowing people with a negative test result go about their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are hinging their entire "case" to a study they clearly don't understand.

I think the health service going forward has dodged 2 bullets here.

As for the weak minded gleefully handing over money to fund the folly, not much can be done unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Wait until they find out about all the other vaccines healthcare workers have to take.

Gobshites the pair of them. Wait until they decide they want to go abroad and work...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any word on the stupidity vaccine yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

exactly ....they havent a hope of winning their case and it is just another one of those go fund me scams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

They are brave to stand up for what they believe in, whether you agree with their stance or not. They are putting their careers and future reputation on the line. I don't think that's something most people would do without feeling some considerable trepidation.

Just wait and see if we're still here come next Christmas, you'll be surprised how many people might be taking similar action. Perhaps even some of the same people who are ridiculing these girls, as there is no definitive end in sight for all of this draconian lunacy at present!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They are brave to stand up for what they believe in, whether you agree with their stance or not.

this is why 'brave' and 'stupid' are often used as synonyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're fulfilling the basic requirement of all students which is to be annoying as fck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Fair play to them.

Anyone who supports segregation is a Facist piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They are putting their careers and future reputation on the line in order to assert a what they suppose to be their right to put other people's lives and health on the line.

This isn't admirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is not true. The two chancer students know that it is not true also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No vaccinations are required for non-frontline staff.

Well they weren't as at January 2021 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Grifters gonna grift.

What did that dodgy "barrister" (but not a member of the law library) Tracey O Mahoney do with her 140k+...it was at 50k after 5 days but she bumped it up...chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't need to be a member of the law library to be a practising barrister.

I like the way she appears like a hostage in her own YouTube videos. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turns out it was MMR i was thinking of. a healthcare worker whose work requires them to 'attend a clinical area' - even if they're not in face to face contact with patients - should have immunity to MMR. it's possible i am misusing the term 'frontline staff' as just those who do interact directly with patients.

going by that list, as the two women in question are training to have direct contact with patients, should require HepB, MMR, Varicella, and are recommended to get the pertussis one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was a student once.

That is likely merely a scam to keep them in cans and late night kebabs for the next few years.

one of the two is an anti-abortion campaigner too, so probably reasonably versed in how to attract publicity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Satire appreciated. Across the pond my university employer mandated vaccination documentation for all students, faculty, staff, administration, and visitors. No exceptions. Science not politics rules.

Mandate in place for months now. No one can enter campus without docs. No legal actions yet, and no go fund me attempts to collect money.

Suspect the main reason for doing this is more narcism than altruism. Getting plenty of attention and likes. Just googled one of them. She is pro-life(a good thing imho) but she is front and centre attention seeking in everything. Could see her as a TD at some stage

• Advertisement

Fair play to these two. The thing that makes everybody angriest is when you tell the forbidden truth. Things that people say that are nonetheless true.

they've agreed to multiple other vaccines. why is this a bridge too far?

and for the patients - will they be allowed to refuse (or even know to refuse) treatment from these two?

Exactly, if they object to mandatory vaccines in general, then fair enough, that's their argument, but they just object to one mandatory vaccine, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Yet, they will be on the first plane out to Australia when they finish college. Bet if Australia required the covid vaccine, they would get it then.

How many years of human testing did those other vaccines have, before being rolled out on a widespread basis?

On balance I believe its reasonable that healthcare workers are very strongly encouraged to be vaccinated for C-19. For their own sake, because they will be at a lot of risk of meeting someone who is infectious.

But compulsion is not sitting well.

Especially since the vaccine doesn't stop people getting sick, so a regular rapid testing should be in place for anyone dealing with vulnerable people, vaccinated or not.

But compulsion is not sitting well.

again though, should a patient be informed that a midwife has refused a vaccine? should the patient have the power to insist on a different midwife?

i don't think anyone here has yet argued that they should be compelled to take the vaccine. they could choose a different career path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

These idiots need to live in the real world, you will have needed X amount of vaccines to undertake placements. COVID vaccine is no different. You go for a healthcare job in hospital etc you'll need proof of all the vaccines they require.

They are free to reject the vaccine but it doesn't entitle them to any special treatment. They also don't get to decide where their placement takes place. I'd be glad to see them kicked from their course, morons

A midwife being vaccinated does not guarantee that s/he is free from the disease.

As a potential patient, I'd be far more interested in knowing that the midwife has been tested and found negative on the day that s/he is treating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

True, why not both I suppose.

But being vaccinated helps to reduce the chance of spreading it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't see anything which is strictly compulsory here. Nobody is making them get any vaccine. Ultimately, they can refuse to get the vaccine and they won't be forced to get it. It will mean that they won't be able to finish their practical placement while restrictions are in place but that choice is available to them.

Advertisement