Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who is buying new for the new year or even in the new year and what are you getting?

• 07-11-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So who is is getting a new car in 2022?

I am getting a new electric bike myself. Thought I would have had it by now but it will be 22 before I have it now. Made a balls of ordering it the first time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Hopefully grabbing an Ioniq 5 and switching to Electric 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Have a GLA ordered for delivery towards the end of Q1 2022.

First automatic and will in all likelihood be my last ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No but I bought a 1000hp fast car in June. Did I type that right, no! I meant I bought a 100hp slow car in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Missus has a T-Roc on order 1.5 petrol, VW seemed to be throwing the standard kit at it as i think they were wrapping up production on it for now.

Got R-Line exterior and heated leather added to the standard Sport spec.

Ticked a few boxes then, black roof and pillars, pan roof, keyless and reverse cam.

It's a re PCP, 3.9%, payments stayed the same with no deposit handing back a 2.5 year old Golf R-Line diesel with 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The new Golf is pure ugly with an awful interior. A big step down in quality from mk7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

lets see how many other threads you can shoehorn this post into. I count 2 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One of these? :)

As for myself, the missus still hasn't got a driving test date so no sign of her taking my car off my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

Audi Q4 etron... on order for three months and maybe January delivery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Not doing too bad. I ordered a gti clubsport 5 months ago and it’s currently expected to be here in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

He's not wrong though - it is a massive step backwards from the Mk7 inside. To be fair, it's far from the only modern car with a crappy interior - everything seems to be switching over to touch screen nonsense. Ironic given that new cars are supposed to be safer than older ones.

• Advertisement

Don't use your phone while driving but it's alright to be looking at a big tablet trying to change the temperature inside your car. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Spot on.

Mrs Blogs has a 202 reg. Its all touch screen so i can't simply teach for a dial and turn up or down the heating. If i want to change the radio i need another menu.

Meanwhile i can do all that without looking in my 14 year old runabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Yes that may be so and he could easily have said those things. IMO the posts were just **** posting trying to get reactions from people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I was of the same thinking before going to test one tbf. Now I think the mk8 looks better inside and out. The climate controls are definitely stupid though.

The volume slider is nearly perfect though. The harder it is for my passenger to change the volume the better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Agreed 100%. Utter insanity. Even BMW are moving to touch screens now - and no, the fact that the stupid touch screens always show the climate control temperature does not mean it's OK to get rid of the buttons.

The whole point of something new is that it is better than what went before it, that's patently not true with a lot of newer cars - they're heavier (exacerbated by the move towards SUVs and EVs), have loads of rubbish we don't need like all the so-called 'driver assist systems' (whatever happened to people using their brains behind the wheel?), have worse exhaust notes (if they even are lucky enough to have a real engine) or fake noises pumped through the cabin thanks to all the emissions rules, and worst of all, they all have damn touchscreens which I find incredibly distracting and an absolute pain in the neck to use when I'm driving. I find a lot of the so called driver aids very annoying, too, and I will turn them off.

With buttons it's simple muscle memory, or something like BMW's iDrive, such systems give you all the technology and infotainment, but crucially it's all still with buttons and is not distracting at all to use the key functions.

And simple things like lighting are better in old cars; BMW stopped using the red-orange backlighting firstly in the instrument cluster (which was bad enough) and then altogether in the iX monstrosity. There's a reason planes use this colour - because it's been scientifically shown to minimise driver distraction at night (indeed that's why BMW put it in all their cars from the 60s onwards), and if you drive an old BMW with the red-orange backlighting back to back with a car with white backlighting, or worse still, blue backlighting (there's a reason ambulances and other emergency vehicles use this colour), you'd really notice how much more those colours distract you at night than the red-orange BMW used to use.

There's more and more cost cutting, too, on all the bits you can't see but on things that make a difference to the driving experience; note how BMW now uses front wheel drive rather than rear wheel drive and 50:50 weight distribution in the 1 and 2 series, the Merc A-class no longer has independent rear suspension, and VW Group MEB cars only have drum brakes at the rear, yet we're told EVs are supposed to be more cutting edge than ICE cars!

To top it all off, cars are outrageously expensive these days. Nothing lasts forever but I'd rather keep an old car going when it does many of the basics like ergonomics better than what's out there today, and costs far less to buy, if not always to run.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm changing my 2012 BMW 5 Series, but still no closer to what that will be.

Might be another 5 Series, might be an A6 or A7... still working it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Strongly thinking of a petrol Octavia VRS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Should finally be getting my hands on a 300zx before next year is out. A few on the retro groups over here are looking to move them on so my time is near! Unfortunately that means selling off a couple of my current ones, and I can't bear to part with them! So easy to buy new ones, not as easy to move them along. Terrible affliction!

EDIT: Sorry, just read back that this is for new cars, apologies! Definitely none of them on the horizon for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

I put a deposit down on a Kia EV6. Probs have to wait until march for it. I'm moving from an MX5 ND so will be a huge change.

Hopefully I'm not disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

Also going for Kia EV6. No delivery date, but in no rush, most likely March time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is an MX5 ND? I know what an MX5 is just no idea about the ND part.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s a bit OT, but I thought I’d comment, in case anyone is looking at the mk8 golf!

We changed a mk7.5 201 to a mk8 211 and without any doubt it’s a better car. We had 2 mk7’s before that too.

vs the mk7.5:

wireless apple CarPlay! It’s instant and seamless and the Siri integration is perfect.

The adaptive cruise with lanekeep assist has gotten better with every iteration.

The blind spot monitor and cameras work great and are actually useful, picking up kids on bikes from miles away as you reverse out of the drive.

The cabin is quieter and the sound system is crisper.

the virtual cockpit has better resolution and more configurable.

The wireless charging pad is a handy addition.

The my connect app is new and useful and will improve for sure. Sending Google maps destinations to the apply CarPlay is v useful

Even the auto dim xenon lights work far better than the mk7.5. Almost no-one gets blinded now :)

the car drives better too.

but hey the touch buttons for the climate are a faff youll quickly get use to, and it’s not as pretty, so it’s a sh1t car 😂

Same as myself.. I sold the MX5 in august and bought myself a mark 2 golf GTI as a run around... It's freezing to drive on these cold mornings though.. looking forward to some "luxury"!

Did you get the GT Line and what colour? (I went GT Line

yacht blue myself)

Well it's really my wife's car, she went for Gravity Blue in the end. She had a very strong preference for the lighter interior of the Earth model so went for that model. Plus it's questionable how much use she'd get from some of the extra's on the GT line. Her current car has a panoramic sunroof which is only used when kids ask for it to be opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would love an EV6 but strongly tempted by the new Sportage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ms

Ye the new Sportage is nice and if KIA have done it right should have some really good quality materials inside unlike the EV6 which is very disappointing inside. I suppose they have to cut costs somewhere do. It was in my local Kia showroom the Thursday and Friday gone but I never got down to it raging. It will be in showrooms in January anyway.

Only way to know is to try them both so maybe you may wait till the new year although Kia are doing deals on the new Sportage if you order one now but they are not cheap anymore getting expensive they are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Interior dash of new Sportage is very similar to EV6, certainly the flat screens, heater control panel and gear selector etc all very similar. I agree that the prices of the current and probably new Sportage are getting a little saucy for what you are getting. However, having owned 2 of them they are a fine car.

The exterior design on the front of the Sportage takes some getting used to, maybe it's very colour dependent too. My wife might have gone for the new Sportage but no electric option plus Europe gets the shorter European model rather than the longer rest of the world model really put me off. I think the longer model is much better proportioned and overall just looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I have a new fiesta st ordered should hopefully have it by April. Fingers crossed.

Ordered it in mean green too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ClassicRellic52

Going for EV 6 as well, Gravity Blue, expected date is early January. Grant applied for and home charger installed and ready to go.

They are a nice car. Looks so much better in 3 door too. They also have way nicer seats than it's competitors. Like all other cars they have also gone up in price in the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Agree to disagree...I've a 5 door ordered in magnetic for hopefully April too. I'm being pessimistic against what the dealer has said (March) so I'm not holding my breath for when it arrives.

We're you originally waiting on a pre facelift?

Ye I had ordered one originally in July. I think I recognise your name from browsing fiestaoc?

I had a mk7 Fiesta ST which was unfortunately written off during the summer and a mk8 was the best identified replacement! I prefer the look of the facelift so it was a no brainer to swap over the order. I doubt my original order would have been fulfilled for a pre-facelift based on the UK owners club forum.

• Advertisement

im looking at the same car myself, in mean green too. Any haggling to be done, or is it just ‘turn up and fill in the order’?

I'm not even sure what the situation is with ordering, I believe they aren't starting production of the facelift until January and there appears to be a VERY large backlog of orders which were converted from the old model into the facelift. You could be waiting a while!

There is normally always some kind of best price but it's come a long way from when Ford were lobbing off a quarter of the price back in 2016. The current order situation has probably diminished any potential bargaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

F*** electric, I want a new S/H Honda Civic type R.

Ms

You mean the dull new model. Could Honda be any more boring. They have done a full about turn and will now have the dullest car in its class. Who knows maybe lots of old people will buy it. The current model is so much better looking. Its classy its stylish and it stands out such a pity not more buyers bought it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I mean the FK8. I agree it's boring, and if I could get the FK2 body with FK8 bits, that would be ideal, but you can't. I can live with the FK8 looks, given it's performance.

The 2022 Type R is even more boring. They should never have turned a hatchback into a sedan. God I wish they would get Pinninfarina to design the next rumoured hybrid elctric/petrol NSX tech one.

• Advertisement

Much like myself.

I had ordered in June but got switched over to the face-lift in November.

I'm currently driving a mk7 st. The march build date is what ford have on the system for all of them. Hopefully they get through them quickly but more than likely not.

The wait continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I have a 218i Gran Coupe on order since Sept.

Was told late Dec / early Jan delivery - now March at earliest....

Decided on a diesel vRS in the end. In the garage today. Deposit and all in the pocket ready for if/when we agreed a deal. Absolutely no budging the garage on price. Not one cent. Went through the online configurator. It came out with a price. Add on 2% for the price rise next year. Add on €750 for delivery, etc. That's it. Pay it or don't essentially. If ordered, car would be in in May. Or June. Possibly even July.

I left it. Might visit another garage to see is it the same story.

The garages seem to be making up for the drop in volume with an increase in margin. I hate that feeling of not getting a deal on such a big purchase, but I can understand why they’re doing it.

im keeping my money in my pocket - at the moment it’s costing me nothing to hold on to my current car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Try MSL, Navan Road if you're Dublin based. Might be different for the vRS but I was told they have a few production slots left (For Octavia Combi) for delivery in March.

A loose maybe that it could arrive before then, in which case apparently you get the 2% increase back.

Could well be a sales pitch of course but I was also told next production slot would then mean delivery May/June which lines up with your info. Had the same hard stance on price alright.

Skoda/VW seem to be particularly badly affected by the microchip shortage/backlog which might explain that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I believe that Spirit Skoda haD one unsold for Jan - no idea if they will offer any discount mind you but worth a call as they are great to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The mammy pulled the trigger on a last minute new car too. Facelift Polo from stock, only entry level trim but standard spec is much better than the pre facelift car. You get the 80bhp 1.0 engine, A/C, digital cockpit, auto lights and cruise control and some nice touches like the new family steering wheel and gear knob really freshen up the interior.

A few let downs would be the handbrake and steering wheel are hard plastic finish on entry level cars which is really hard to swallow and still no station logos on the radio tiles. Otherwise a nicely finished car.

Interesting she's trading in a 181 Polo, being allowed 14k for it, she bought it for €16.5k in 2018, 6 months old, ex hire drive at the time. 6 months old ex hire drive Polo's this year are asking €21-22k, was actually better value to go for the new vehicle if you are able to get your hands on one from stock @ €23.1k.

Some price rise in cars in general, looking at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That is a decent spec to be fair. Haven't seen the new one but the pre facelift was a lovely looking car (Ibiza too). Real shame about the handbrake. Especially on a smaller car, would give a bit more space in the centre console and tidy up the look a bit. Nice to see smaller segment cars getting more spec and nicer styling too.

Not Dublin based, but have money - will travel!

Visited another VAG dealership today. Same price as the other spot, but with less spec. Delivery August. Maybe. Again, price is the price. Reason they say is they don't have enough cars going out. Volume of sales will be down massively. Both new and secondhand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement